Berney Arms

ChrisB

Quote "The owners of the pub are lucky that it wasn't burnt to the ground."

Indeed, enough damage done to make anyone think twice about taking it on as a pub, Not enough to stop anyone planning to refurbish it as a dwelling!!!!! The freeholder has been "unlucky" with fires in some of his previous premises, however on this occasion it is neither here nor there now, as it sounds like the mortgage company have now stepped in.

If it does indeed go to auction, it should go for a realistic enough price to make it still viable as a pub, providing no more damage is sustained.

• Like 7

I personally think it would make a great Broads shop, reason being is because they are few and far between and it's not always physically possible to stop at Yarmouth for example and stock up. 

Perhaps even good hot showers and launderette. 

Just an idea but I can't see it ever being financially appealing to third parties as a pub, if pubs in high streets are closing down then it does not really stand a chance.

Welcome Miles we to always  had good evenings at the pub as I said many times.When we went last summer again I said the staff about seven were more interested  in there phones and one another.I still think you can make the pub a success agree also have a shop.A ferry to bring people in perhaps some camping.You need to give it some thought.Many other pubs along the water do well.I still hope someone  takes it on as a pub,if so I wish them well.ian

• Like 3

It's all very sad I think. I moored up in July 2014 but it wasn't open, this was after being at the fishermans which was also closed ( think it was a Monday). Even then it looked tired and worn.

i have many a memory of mooring there on a night for the early tide in the morning, playing pool with family and sitting at the tables in the summer evening sun. 

I must be getting old as I'm not good with change!, :norty:

And also , Acle to Reedham is a longtime without a pint isn't it :Stinky

I can see how it would be difficult to make it earn you a living though.

• Like 3

It's the lack of decent road access that kills it. Sort that out and you have a fighting chance, although it is still very remote. Mind you it has it's own personal railway Stn!

The other good pubs that I know about on the South all have good patronage from people in cars. Relying on boats is going to be really hard to sustain especially out of season.

It does have lots of mooring space and is that handy stop over before or after Breydon. If it did become a yacht station this side of Breydon it might be in with a shout.

It's probably all been said before though. Maybe we should crowd fund a buy out and use it as the NBN headquarters?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, deebee29 said:

Fisherman's is at Burgh Castle.

Yes. We went their originally to spend the night but the pub was shut so we moved on to Berney but that was also closed.  

So I fed some fish then they all took my money from me at cards.

I suspect that if you knew the long history of the owner you may view it all rather differently - and to be honest the virtual lack of land access also hinders the possibility of selling it for someone to live in. To suggest a shop without land access might be stretching the point when even some shops in the middle of a High Street cannot work!!

There is a long standing rule of thumb in the Broadland area that in order to continue with as many licensed premises around as possible, I believe the BA as planning authority have always been very reluctant to accept a change of use. I think the battle at Langley Dyke was pretty protracted and lasted many years and I would not wish to see that trend of licensed premises being effectively sold for housing!

I think that is at the root of the Berney Arms issue, and indeed the Beauchamp Arms as well.

• Like 4

What it needs is some luxury bathrooms and a big sign saying "HOT BATHS" so I have just been told! 

Shore based showers are all very well as are boat based ones but an hour in luxury would, it seems, be very popular amongst the less roughty toughty amongst us?

• Like 2

Change of use is definitely the stumbling block for the Berney. The BA only want it used as a pub. If this goes to auction because of receivership then it may be a bargain. The BA and RSPB could set up a visitor centre....with a bar. Hopefully some sense will prevail as this was great stop off point between North and South.

Colincheers

• Like 4

Very sad to hear about this place, we always made a point in stopping for a pint or 2, the meals used to be amazing, this was only 3 and a half years ago too.

We used to make the trip across Breydon just to stop there, loved the atmosphere inside, the stories those old walls could tell, sends the imagination wild.

I remember watching a BBC drama a while back called Jamaica Inn set in Cornwall I think about smugglers on the coast, the Berney reminds me of somewhere like that back in the day lol

• Like 3