Berney Arms

ChrisB

1 hour ago, hazelgirl said:

Very sad to hear about this place, we always made a point in stopping for a pint or 2, the meals used to be amazing, this was only 3 and a half years ago too.

We used to make the trip across Breydon just to stop there, loved the atmosphere inside, the stories those old walls could tell, sends the imagination wild.

I remember watching a BBC drama a while back called Jamaica Inn set in Cornwall I think about smugglers on the coast, the Berney reminds me of somewhere like that back in the day lol

Read Dame Daphne du Maurier, Lady Browning DBE.

The BBC was a very poor interpretation of the true written word.

Jamaica Inn and Indian Queens are the very embodiment of Bodmin Moor and Cornwall for me and Daphne that Western Lands true artistic ambassador.

• Like 2

Really sad to see The Berney in such a state. Like many others on here I have memories of glorious times sitting outside with my dad, with a real beer shandy and a packet of crisps waiting for the tides. I remember the times we moored there overnight, lying in bed hearing the lapping of the water when it was rough and the Boat moving all over the place, loved it  

I would hate to see it become anything other than a pub, but do understand about the location and that it obviously can't survive on boat traffic alone.

Grace

p.s Lynsey, you are nearly up to your 50 posts and you know what that means, don't you? :naughty:

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Really sad to see The Berney in such a state. Like many others on here I have memories of glorious times sitting outside with my dad, with a real beer shandy and a packet of crisps waiting for the tides. I remember the times we moored there overnight, lying in bed hearing the lapping of the water when it was rough and the Boat moving all over the place, loved it  

I would hate to see it become anything other than a pub, but do understand about the location and that it obviously can't survive on boat traffic alone.

Grace

p.s Lynsey, you are nearly up to your 50 posts and you know what that means, don't you? :naughty:

Very close to it, eeeeek I may need one or two more lol

13 minutes ago, stumpy said:

Call me an old cynic but I can't help being reminded of a line from Arthur Daley in 'Minder' to a struggling business owner - "Would a fire help?"

What could cause a fire in an empty building, if the electricity was off, any gas turned off, (even bottled gas).?

Act of god, act of vandalism, a discarded cigarette end, various leaking chemicals onto rags, have been known to spontaneously combust, a crystal ball in a south facing window acting as a lens, didn't see that one coming lol...

A lot of uncertainty for a guaranteed insurance pay out, and some policies won't pay out if the building has been empty over a certain number of days.

So I don't think anyone would have been looking for a fire to help them out, nothing to gain, unless of couse it was needed to clear the land to start again, and to allow a rebuild as a pub again.

So to quote... "Would a fire help" I don't think so, in my opinion of course.

If the building were to be demolished, would a change of use become easier to obtain?

If the fire damage has made the building unsafe for any reason might it not need demolishing?

If the site is auctioned off 'as is' (fire damaged closed down pub) would the valuation not be rather low?

From that I can see how a "friendly" fire could be advantagous.

Oddly enough, all the reasons I read here as to why that pub is doomed to fail, are exactly the same ones that make me believe it could be run again as a business success. Sadly I'm not at the moment financially  fixed to take it on, much as I'd like to.

Quote "So to quote... "Would a fire help" I don't think so, in my opinion of course."

If you were going to gut the place to refurbish it and turn it into a dwelling, then a bit of superficial fire damage wouldn't make much difference, however if you were looking to take on a tenancy as a pub landlord, a full redecoration on top of everything else you would need to sort makes it a non starter.

I wouldn't think this is an insurance job as the terms of the insurance, due to location, were that there had to be someone there at all times. I remember pervious tenants having their father come to stay in the Winter so they could go away for a few days.

Given its location, lack of fire fighting equipment, not likely to be disturbed, multiple fires, anyone looking to do a proper job at vandalising the place has been extremely unlucky to see two fires burn themselves out with no structural damage.

Hopefully the receivers do a proper gob of protecting the property until it goes to auction.  

I have to agree with MM, the Berney had been a very successful pub in the past, I think it was only the owners greed that has caused its downfall if the stories of ever increasing rents is true. Owner/Landlord with the addition of basic supplies available would be a good start. If the BA want it to stay as a pub then they need to be more flexible over planning. Miles idea of a shop and maybe a shower block can only improve business. There are caravans on site that must have PP or a certificate of lawful use. One of these could become a laundry and shower facility.

What about a pub share? Perfect for NBN meet! The sailies and gin palaces can go for a blast on breydon while the rest go cross eyed in the bar.:party1::wasted:

It will all depend on how the receiver decides to sell it. There always was a lot of land with the pub and I do wonder if this will have to be included in the sale.

The Berney is the perfect refuge from bad weather when Breydon is closed by the BA.

Colincheers

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kfurbank said:

Iain,

Your a bit out of date. That's the plot that was purchased by The BA and provides the free 24hr mooring. It is next to the moorings owned by The Berney Arms.

Keith, not me.:norty:...Google and the Agent maybe ?:naughty:  

cheersIain

Yes I am the cameraman. 

This forum is far superior to the .co.uk. version. 

I've described it in the past as a toxic snake pits and some of the comments are schizophrenic. 

Does anyone have a link to the byelaw 72 post from last November? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Miles J Weston said:

Yes I am the cameraman. 

This forum is far superior to the .co.uk. version. 

I've described it in the past as a toxic snake pits and some of the comments are schizophrenic. 

Does anyone have a link to the byelaw 72 post from last November? 

Indeed - easily found, just 'Google' bylaw 72.