Excitement

Bob48

question, is it just us or does anybody else get " ants in their Pants "on the lead up to a holiday ,is the prospect of going on holiday on the broads as exciting for other members as it is for my Wife and i ? just a thought cheers 2 days left out of a 19 week countdown think i need a drink to calm my nerves 

stay safe

• Like 8

Apart from the last couple of years, I have been coming to the Broads since I was 4 or 5 years old and you can bet your life on every single run up to our holiday I haven't been able to sleep for a week, we have nearly always got up extremely early on the day or travelled the night before and stayed in a Hotel, my other half knows that it would be more than his life is worth to make me wait a moment longer than necessary

Have a lovely, lovely time, hope the weather is good to you cheers

Grace

• Like 6

Oh yes

the week leading up to our holiday always seems to last for 3.

the excitement and planning usually starts a couple of weeks before when we get our "boat box" out of the cupboard to check that we have everything.

hope you have a great time Bob and the weather is kind. 

we'll look forward to a full report when you get back.

:Stinky

• Like 5

The first thing I do on our return is go through the bags against our checklist.  Apart from Dhobi most are straight back in the boat cupboard ready at a moments notice in case a spare week comes up.

Have a good trip with no dramas.

S

• Like 2

Oh yes ! I started coming on the Broads aged about 6 in the 1960s with my parents, my 3 brothers and a particularly smelly border terrier called Shandy ! We all piled into a Morris Oxford for the 200 odd mile journey from Cheshire ( Macclesfield/Leek/Ashbourne/Derby/Nottingham/Grantham/King's Lynn etc). My parents both smoked so it was a pretty horrific journey of 6 hours plus.

However the excitement and anticipation has stayed with me today and, if anything, is more extreme the older I get !

When I moved South the journey changed and luckily the Morris Oxford ceased to be. For the last 20 odd years it has been Hampshire via M3/M25/M11/A11. Sadly my wife, after her 1st Broads holiday in the mid 80s , has refused to come ! On that occasion she sat in the front cabin with the heater on, read Jane Austen and declined to come out......

So for the last few years it has been just me. My levels of excitement used to rise when I reached and stopped at the Brandon War memorial for a picnic. This has now been bypassed  which is a shame.

Nowadays fever pitch is reached when arriving at the Norwich ring road followed by the bumpy drive down Cess Road to Martham Development.

It's odd but it is the only holiday that I have ever been on that has this effect.

Pathetic really as I'm 55 but there we are !

Have a fantastic holiday Bob.

Best wishes

Charles

• Like 5

I am the same with any holidays be they on the Broads or elsewhere.

We all tend to get excited prior to going away, planning the event, when boating checking out the boat kit (this expands every year) packing the clothes (left to Tan) my job it to get it all in the car. 

If on the Broads checking the tides to see if a passage through Yarmouth  is on the cards or not. No chance this time (early July) because we are training for two days with new owners.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

I get particularly excited when I turn left after leaving Martham Development and cruise slowly into Heigham Sound. Whatever stress has built up over the previous months instantaneously fades away. I am a sad old git really as these days I have been known to stay the Hickling/Horsey side of the bridge for days !!

Best wishes

Charles

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Broadsword said:

Heading for our boat on Friday - just looking forward to9 chilling over the weekend and then some good sailing next week...

might see you on the water Broadsword cheers

• Like 1

We always get excited leading up to any holiday, but coming to the Broads is extra special. We look forward, believe it or not, to the drive up, but the drive back is a real chore, and more tiring. I think it`s because we know we`re going to places we love, but can`t get there very often, places like Rosie Leas, seeing John and Linda at Maffetts, stopping off on the journey up and having lunch at a famous Norfolk hostelry with a couple of good friends (you know who you are)..  But i think the most important thing is the fact we`re afloat, and helming a boat at 4-5mph is much more relaxing than driving a car around some of Englands beautiful, but sometimes very busy countryside.  As some will know, we came back from Lincolnshire last week, a week which saw me driving for not far short of 1,000 miles, possibly even over the K, which i will add up one day. Once we get on the boat, it`s automatic relax, and just chill, no matter what the weather is doing. When we used to drive up from Kent, we used to travel up the A12, and would stop at Beccles yacht station and walk along the quay, and that feeling of "Here at last", , and it`s almost like you can feel a huge amount of pressure just falling away from you. It`s pure magic, and a feeling i NEVER get when driving to a cottage elsewhere in the country.

Yeah, the Broads is so much more than just a holiday, it`s more like a release, like you`ve been set free for a while, and we`re being set free on 25th of June, and i`m really looking forward to that 250 mile drive at 06,00 in the morning, though if we come up from home, and not Kent, our first stop won`t be Beccles, but hopefully somewhere just off the A11.

I hope we see some of you while we`re there?.

• Like 6

We are lucky  having  our own boat getting  up to the broads  at least  once a month .Yet we still get a buzz and when we are home we plan the next  trip . There's  no cure ,only getting  on the water when you can . Enjoy  your  trip Bob

Best wishes Ian

• Like 7

I'm the same as all of you. The best feeling for me though is once we're back on the rivers and I've got that first mooring under my belt and settled back in. Our next trip is on a boat we've had three times already so there's a lovely feeling of "going home". It might not be mine but anyone who has hired it in the last year had better have looked after it for me. :)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, SwanR said:

I'm the same as all of you. The best feeling for me though is once we're back on the rivers and I've got that first mooring under my belt and settled back in. Our next trip is on a boat we've had three times already so there's a lovely feeling of "going home". It might not be mine but anyone who has hired it in the last year had better have looked after it for me. :)

that's exactly it SwanR ," going home " . we can't wait , , taxi to the traain station train to Norwich , bus from Norwich to Stalham tea and a sausage roll at the " Cherry Blossom  cafe" ( thoroughly recommend this place ) then a wander down the high street , past " Hero " to the boat yard . we cannot wait did i say that previously , sorry . but i know you all understand me . cheers

• Like 5