Stracey Arms Wind Pump Restoration

Unfortunately, i suffer from vertigo, and lose my balance when high up, but some years back, we stopped there en-route south, and i managed to climb the ladders inside, without looking down, and managed to get to the top. Amazing views when you`re up there.

59 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

i suffer from vertigo

Neil,

You have my sympathy, a mate of mine also suffers it. Me, oh I have been up extension ladders and high scaffolding, through my work. But, the best view I have had on the Broads is up both Horsey and Sutton windmills, amazing views.

cheersIain

p.s. I had to talk an apprentice down off a ladder, when he froze with vertigo.

Karen and i paid to go up to the top of a lighthouse, I can`t remember if it was the one at the Lizard Peninsula, or the one at Portland Bill. When we got in the main tower, the stairway was a spiral around the inside face of the outer wall, and open. With the tower tapering inwards as you go up, it felt like i was going to fall inwards, and off the stairway. The first bit was JUST doable, and you went into the next level which was fully enclosed for anther floor. When we got above THAT floor, it was open again. I got about 10ft above the floor below, and froze. I did manage to tourn round, and very gingerly went back down. Then i had to do it again once we got through the enclosed bit, but we got down without needing any help.  I did wonder what Karen must have thought of me, but she was extremely understanding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Had to reverse down Ranworth church tower this year - stair-hugging!!

Hi Liberty. I`m okay with Ranworth church because the stairway (to heaven? lol) is fully enclosed. I get affected when it`s open plan, and my sense of balance has no imediate reference points. I had the same nearly 20 years ago on the battlements of Norwich castle. After i`d been stood still up there for 10 minutes, i seemd to stablize myself, and took advantage of the stunning views all over Norfolk.

• Like 3

On the rigs all the stairs and outside platforms are open metal grilles, so they don't get covered in snow and ice. When you come down stairs you are looking straight down between your feet to the sea. On one platform I was on, the heli-deck was the same height off the sea as the spire of Norwich cathedral. There was a difference in pressure of 8 millibars between the flight deck and the sea.

We got used to it but strangely, if a helicopter had to shut down on the deck and the crew got out, it was the pilots who got vertigo as they came down the stairs!

• Like 1

I suffer terribly from fear of heights, it began when I was roughly about six and climbed a lighthouse in Dungeness (I think it was) but felt extremely proud when, on our honeymoon, I climbed the Eiffel Tower, the only thing was my other half informed me that as I got higher I crouched lower to the ground until I was almost crawling so as not to see over the top of the railings, a bunch of German tourists were most amused I can tell you, had two glasses of wine at the top which made going down a breeze lol

Sorry, back on topic, good to know these wonderful wind pumps are being restored, what a beautiful sight for sore eyes they make at sunset and sunrise

Grace

• Like 4

I have been to the top of the Stracey Mill, but it has a closed in staircase so I was alright. 

I had to go back down the lighthouse on St Mary's Island after about 10 foot (it was the same for my sister in law) the staircase went around the side wall of the lighthouse as in Neil's post. Vertigo is a pain, feeling sick and the room spinning effect.

I never really liked heights but like Iain's work, it was part of the job, 60 foot up on a open meshed gantry to replace factory lamps. I still go up ladders and quite high steps but am always careful. These days I get a feeling in my knees when a program on TV that shows soon height (don't look down) and why do they stand right on the edge things:shocked

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3

I get wobbly on ladders anything above the top of the ground floor windows.  I can't even clear out our gutters or clean the upstairs windows.

Silly really - I used to live in the highest town in Europe up in the Alps without issues, and am ok in helicopters with glass underneath me, but a pair of steps - no chance.

• Like 3

thew only ladder I had trouble with was to get onto the roof of a plant room, the ladder was just a foot or so from the edge, on the roof of a 15 story building. the ladder was tied off, but I wasnt, and that wasnt fun, the worst bit was climbing back onto the ladder to come down.

Many years ago my husband was painting the gutters of a two storey house. He leaned a little too far to the right while painting the gutter at the side of the house. Unfortunately, at  the precise time he did this, the "friend" who was supposed to be holding the ladder, decided to light a cigarette. the only thing that prevented my husband from being catapulted to the bottom of the garden while still on the ladder was the ladder coming to an abrupt stop against  the soil pipe. My husband no longer cares for heights or ladders!

regards

Carole