Possible New Airshow

Years ago I saw the Red Arrows do their display, centred very low over Oulton Broad, on the Thursday evening of Oulton Week.

I wasn't racing and was sitting in the clubhouse on the veranda. There was a light wind so the last race was still going on, which had not been planned. White Wings and Raisena came slowly round the Wherry buoy and split tacks, to go for the line and a very close finish. White Wings had a topsail set.

At this moment one of the Arrows came screaming up the broad belching white smoke and went straight between them, at the same height as White Wings' cross trees! I watched Martin Broom on Raisena, and he never took his eyes off the luff of his jib.

We certainly won't see anything like that again!

• Like 2

living in lincolnshire and working around the county, i see them training regularly, coming home last week as  i passed scampton they took off in V formation 3 at a time just in front of me (flight path crosses the A15.)

also the now defunct Waddingham airshow is to be replaced in 2017 by one at Scampton (poss september date to follow)

Hi all, as some of you may remember Karen and i live near Bournemouth, and work at Bournemouth Airport. W e see the Arrows many times a year, as they often use Bournemouth as their base when doing the Southern Airshow circuit. It`s great, because of where we live, whenevr they leave the event on the last day, their regular return flightpath goes right over our bungalow. The problem is, i`ve NEVER had my camera ready.

As far as the Gt Yarmouth Airshow is concerned, BRING IT ON. It`s a real crowd puller, though the weather is very influential, but when it`s dry, it brings the crowds. Good for tourism, and local buisness, but as John (HA) says, the traffic can be chaotic.  At least we can watch from home, AND get a real close up of the planes when they land at work.

• Like 1

We see them twice a year at Clacton Airshow most years since about 1988 when the first airshow took place..... But yes Clacton becomes a no go place traffic wise.... but what boost for the local economy. Always same week as the big Clacton beer festival as well...

Charlie

• Like 1

We have the Eastbourne Airshow, if you don't arrive early you won't get parked, traffic wardens were having a field day as people were parking on pavements and grass verges. The show attracts thousands of people all spending a fair few quid, they then get get penalised for doing so because of lack of parking spaces. Sorry, rant over lol, the Red Arrows never fail to amaze, so spectacular and the amount of times I've nearly recruited into the RAF, do they really have to stand at their display tents in uniforms handing out leaflets :rolleyes: 

Grace

• Like 1

#Daughters best mate from school and still now, is one of the organisers of Clacton air show. She got to meet them all in January at invitation from Red 1................. Never seen a female swooning so much for so long after a meeting for work...... Maybe Our darlin Grace can enlighten on that one.......

Charlie

• Like 1

For some reason left behind in time I was cleaning out the bunds on RAF Valley on Anglesey the day before the Valley air show. All the visiting display teams did a short version of their display before landing. I am not an aircraft buff but when you are on the runway looking up the exhaust of a Sukhoi SU27  going vertical,then playing chicken and passing each other,belly to belly at may be 100'. They were the Moscow display team The Russian Knights flying these Sukhoi jets, when they had landed there weren't ladders long enough to reach the cockpit so they had to very gingerly walk down the wings and then climb down ladders lent against the trailing edge.

The gunships of the Czech republic flying down the streets of the  base at first floor level in attack formation one above the other was quite amazing. a day to remember I went home stunned and covered in unburnt  kerosene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioofU21Mydw