It's That Time Again

I'm just back now in Norfolk, with no jams on the way. But just so you know, a quick description of the road works.

From the end of the M80, through to the start of the climb into the hills on the A74,  50mph limit with Average speed cameras. But it was a clear run through at 08:00 this morning.

A66 just after the first section of dual carriageway over the hills on a single carriageway, 40mph limit, road surface removed, this limit goes into the village with the BP station in it ,  which is 40mph anyway but the village has now sprouted average speed cameras.

Last section of dual carriageway A66 toward Scotch corner, they've just finished resurfacing east bound but speed limit still 50mph.

A66 / A1 roundabout, in bits at the moment, you still use the normal route going down south, going north you go for a temporary wander across the countryside to get to the A66.

A1 to south of Leeming, two lanes each way narrow, wandering from one side of the new roads to the other. 50mph limit. Average speed cameras the whole way.

A17 new average speed cameras from Sutton bridge to the first kings Lynn roundabout.

They are chucking gravel at the road surface ( overnight I think) about ten miles north west of KL.

As a separate thing I came down the M62, M18, M180,  A15 to Sleaford.

The motorways are were very clear, easy run through, A15 easy run to Lincoln with plenty of chances to over take, Lincoln bypass was very busy but moving, then across country back to the A15.

A17, well yes, it was the A17, heavy  traffic, follow the leader all the way.

A47, no change,  follow the leader, dual carriageway, follow the leader, dual carriageway, follow the leader, Norwich bypass.

Evening peeps,

Call made - I'm leaving Kirkcaldy at 6.00am tomorrow and heading for the M8 and then the M74/A66/A1/A17/A47. I hope to be in Broadland by 3.00pm, with a pint in my hand. Will try and keep you all in the loop about roads and traffic.

• Like 1

Just as an aside, but sort of along the same track. Does anyone remember the breakfast buffets that you had at the Scottish Stakis Hotel Group before Hilton took over?

Bacon, eggs, Sausage, mealy pudding, black pudding, hogs pudding (a sort of white black pudding). And decent porridge, kippers, and abroath smokies from the main menu with poached egg and marmalade. Without doubt the best breakfast of any hotel or mass catering group.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Just as an aside, but sort of along the same track. Does anyone remember the breakfast buffets that you had at the Scottish Stakis Hotel Group before Hilton took over?

Bacon, eggs, Sausage, mealy pudding, black pudding, hogs pudding (a sort of white black pudding). And decent porridge, kippers, and abroath smokies from the main menu with poached egg and marmalade. Without doubt the best breakfast of any hotel or mass catering group.

Hi Chris,

Indeed I do, the white puddin is known as sweet pudding, as for the breakie, myself and the other tradesmen who had worked a ghoster at the Ayr Station Stakis Hotel, were offered free breakie, after the second floor had had a fire think it was in May, had to be reopened in time for the Glasgow Fair race meetings.

Mr Gabriel and Mr McLean the two Duty Managers, knew how to look after tradesmen.:clap

cheersIain

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Glad you made it  safe n sound Eric ...... will see you soon now to put names to faces or is that faces to names

Charlie

Suppose that depends on wether you have raided Grace's wine locker or not Charlie cheers

don't think it's a cellar on a boat :rolleyes: is it ?

Have a great holiday Eric & girls

• Like 2

On 21/07/2016 at 4:34 PM, riyadhcrew said:

Well, we have arrived safely at the Wayford Bridge Inn after a total of 9 hours journey. Still plenty of road works south of Scotch Corner and the A17/A47 were a joke due to caravans and trucks.

It was lovely to meet you Eric, hope the girls didnt spend all your money, they are teenage girls after all.

The Wench

• Like 1

Good morning all,

Sitting here at Womak staithe in the rain waiting for the butcher to open, so we can get some more bacon. It was lovely to meet all who I did at the weekend and it was nice to put faces to names.

Sorry for not posting before this, but internet access has been a problem until now.

• Like 4