Original Boat Layout

Essexgirl

Hi. Some of you may remember that we became the proud owners of the ex-Sabena/Maffets hire craft Kestrel earlier on this year. We have started some internal improvements on her and now think that the current layout may not be the original. She was built in 1990, so we were wondering if any forumites may have an old Hoseasons brochure with the layout in it. When she was with Sabena she was called Citation 1. Her Broads number is A982. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have tried ebay but they have no Broads brochures at all. I remember that the archives at Norwich library had a collection of Blakes brochures but I'm not sure if they had Hoseasons or even went up to post 1990.

Kind regards,

Andrea and Ian

Luckily when Maffetts had her, they spruced her up quite a bit. We're still working on the interior at the moment as we can't decide what to do on the exterior (and need the funds as I want to do it properly). Can anyone recommend a good alternative to Holly and Teak flooring ?

Solid oak flooring (as you get in B&Q) works well inside (Just leave a fair gap on the edges to allow for swelling).

But I'd go for a short pile carpet if you don't want wood flooring, one short enough that you can sweep with a brush. Take a look at lining carpet (Martrim are good.. http://www.martrim.co.uk/catalogue/flat-lining-carpet.html

On 31/07/2016 at 1:37 PM, Essexgirl said:

Hi. Some of you may remember that we became the proud owners of the ex-Sabena/Maffets hire craft Kestrel earlier on this year. We have started some internal improvements on her and now think that the current layout may not be the original. She was built in 1990, so we were wondering if any forumites may have an old Hoseasons brochure with the layout in it. When she was with Sabena she was called Citation 1. Her Broads number is A982. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have tried ebay but they have no Broads brochures at all. I remember that the archives at Norwich library had a collection of Blakes brochures but I'm not sure if they had Hoseasons or even went up to post 1990.

Kind regards,

Andrea and Ian

Hi  Essex Girl, 

i sent you a pm some time back re Kestrel, we hired her when jJohn and Lynda first put her in the fleet. The layout that you have is as she was made by Alpha craft, and Sabina marine modified her by taking out one of the aft singles and had the strange and daft idea of putting a bath in its place. When Maffetts bought her, John ripped out the bath, and re-instated the berth. They also did a lot of mechanical improvements and upgrades, and the interior was very much as built, only thoroughly cleaned.  I always said, if she was mine, i`d take out the twin berths aft, and take out the aft bulkhead of the mid double, and make an en-suite toilet and shower with jack and jill doors to each cabin. I`d also remove the toilet / shower compartment next to the galley. This would also make the mid and aft double cabins bigger, as well as the galley.. Howevr, that would be a major re-fit and would cost thousands.  As for flooring, if you intend using Kestrel year round, i think wood floors will be cold under foot, and make the boat expensive to heat. If you fitted THICK PILE bathroom carpet to cabins and salloon, it will act as both heat, and sound insulation, helping to absorb unpleasant noises at night. Fender squeaking is my pet hate, as well as water slapping on the underside of the hull. Also bathroom carpet is rubber backed, and has a certain amount of resitance to water.

We did keep an eye out for her when we were on Lightning, but did`nt know where you are moored?.

Happy cruising ................Neil.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Essexgirl said:

Luckily when Maffetts had her, they spruced her up quite a bit. We're still working on the interior at the moment as we can't decide what to do on the exterior (and need the funds as I want to do it properly). Can anyone recommend a good alternative to Holly and Teak flooring ?

Anything at all. That stuff is mega expensive, difficult to lay (poor cuts look terrible) and pretty poor wearing too. It damages easily. Frankly, I wouldn't lay another square foot of holly and teak laminate. 

There are some very good alternatives. Richard at Snuggtopz has some very nice carpet that has a wood planked effect (i jest not). It isn't cheap, but it looks great. The edges can be whipped and so on. 

Kestrel was hugely improved by John and Linda (it was in a shocking condition prior).

• Like 1

I remember viewing this boat when it was for sale in 2012 at NBS in wroxham (i think its the same boat appologies if not)   I remember it as it had a bath in the aft cabin which was a bit strange especially as it had a single berth adjacent to it. 

The teak and holly flooring looks good if done proffesionally which isnt easy as Andy says, we have it on our boat in the saloon/galley and whilst we are happy with it we do have to be very careful not to chip the corners of any hatches that lift open as it damages at the edges easily, the face of it is pretty tough but had our boat not come with it fitted its not something we would be looking to install ourselves because of the cost of it.  Our cabins were fitted with flotex carpet which is hard wearing and easy to fit/clean etc ideal for its previous life as a hire boat  but that stuff costs a small fortune to so as ours had seen better days that came out for a thick deep carpet we picked up cheap as a remnant and we laid that with some underlay, its soft under foot and a may help insulate slightly. We also got the piece for the bow cabin whipped by a guy in Thorpe  in Norwich as the bow cabin floor is moulded with no square edges for the carpet to fit to,  the results of that were very good and it didnt cost a great deal either. 

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. It has given us lots to think about. We definitely won't be going down the Holly and Teak route now and will have a good look at all the options online. We fitted some Goliath fooring in our kitchen and utility room recently and while it is a lino, it is very thick and bouncy and warm underfoot, even in the winter, so might consider that.

Once again, thank you for all your suggestions. Still can't believe there was actually a bath in the rear cabin!!! 

Laminate flooring on a boat? Get good health insurance and research chiropractors. I thought laminate would be a good idea on RT. I have the teak and holly stuff laid in my hallway at home and had a couple of boxes left over. Then came the fateful day the beagle tipped over his water bowl. Instant ice rink! Reaching fifty this year I thought my days of suppleness and being lithe of limb were over. However after performing a full thirty seconds of Riverdance, followed by the splits, an olympic gold worthy pommel horse routine and a quick Fred Astaire number (Beagle playing the part of Ginger Rogers), before unceremoniously crashing to the floor...I realised that not only would laminate be a crap idea, for me, on the boat but it was not a spectacular success at home. So laminate ripped up and replaced with oak plank effect non slip lino with enough left over to do the boat cockpit and stern well.

Edited to add that RT has wooden floors in her cabins and I will be trialing a finish provided by Finney's.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Timbo said:

However after performing a full thirty seconds of Riverdance, followed by the splits, an olympic gold worthy pommel horse routine and a quick Fred Astaire number (Beagle playing the part of Ginger Rogers), before unceremoniously crashing to the floor

With regards to the H & T flooring, when you fall on it, as I did last year, its not very forgiving, in fact it is the opposite ! Ouch .....double ouch !:River Police

cheersIain

P.S. I am trying to picture Tim in a short frock doing the Riverdance !:naughty:

When I did Zimbi's cabin floor last year I looked at all things then decided on the cheapest (b&q) carpet tiles.

With the interlayer it cost about £70 will renew them next year, cost off tiles £35.

Just over £105 for six years of use, plus with 1 or 2 left over, any bad staining just change that tile.

Paul

When I bought Sandpiper 21years ago the boat, which was then 3 years old, was fitted with Flotex carpet in  both cabins and the lounge with quality thick lino in the galley. The boat is an Alpha 35 and 21years on we still have the same floor covering showing no sign of wear and tear. Flotex is easy to clean including all stains and very hard wearing- if and when it needs replacing I would not hesitate to use Flotex again. We use the boat extensively during the year but it has never been a hire boat as it was built for private use

Boycee

:clap

• Like 3