Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

A little update none the less, the final part of a present from Griff arrived today, I now have the same varnish turps and brushes used in the glorious finish that Broad Ambition sports, I have the full application instructions, so will be starting off with the stern of the model, 6 coats - as per the real thing.

IMG_7938.JPG

IMG_7939.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

so today, after shopping (and christmas shopping) during which I purchased a set of plastic shot glasses (for mixing) it was down to the first layer of the varnish - step one 25% varnish - 75% turpentine (ooh lovely pine fresh smell) I mixed up a tiny amount 9ml turps, 3ml varnish (I have some syringe bodies that make this easy) and yes you guessed it - way more than I needed, no matter, some of the woodwork on model #1 got a coat too (and I still had some left over) anyhow - now to leave for 24 hours to dry (indoors at 21 degrees - the workshop has warmed up to 11 deg from 6 deg overnight).

IMG_7940.JPG

IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7943.JPG

IMG_7944.JPG

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, grendel said:

whoops, I repeated step 4 tonight, instead of progressing to step 5 - never mind, an extra coat wont do any harm

What didn't Griff send you a chart to tick off every procedure ? Shame on you Griff shame on you , still an extra coat is no problem at all :default_biggrin: 

step 6 after de nibbing again with 400 grit paper, it was 100% varnish this time. the reflection of the flash is getting smaller and less diffuse, indicating the finish getting smoother, I can see things reflected in the surface now, whether this gets more coats will depend upon the finish once it has dried.

IMG_7960.JPG

IMG_7961.JPG

IMG_7962.JPG

• Like 3

that white line smudge on the last picture is actually the reflection of the angle poise magnifier lamp I was using to light up the work area. my thanks go to Griff for divulging the secret of the 6 steps to achieve the finish that Broad Ambition boasts.