Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

This topic thread is now 100 pages long.  Wow - ONE HUNDRED.  The first post was made way back Aug 06th 2016 by Grendel of course.

You need to stretch out the completion date to Aug 06th this year.  That'll mean four years in the making.  How many man hours, have you any idea?

Griff

• Like 5

so here are some pictures with parts placed roughly in their correct locations but not yet fixed in place, as I don't have complete pictures for the whole cabin tops, just segments

I'm due onboard early next month and can provide photo's or a facetime video etc.  Of course seeing as I'm due onboard for around ten days or so you are welcome onboard as you always are.

In your photo you have the horns in front of the windscreen - They haven't been there for ages, there is just a teak landing pad there nowadays.  The horns are now up Fwd along with the searchlight

Griff

BA NBN 817.JPG

BA NBN 818.JPG

BA NBN 819.JPG

BA NBN 820.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

so here are some pictures with parts placed roughly in their correct locations but not yet fixed in place, as I don't have complete pictures for the whole cabin tops, just segments

I'm due onboard early next month and can provide photo's or a facetime video etc.  Of course seeing as I'm due onboard for around ten days or so you are welcome onboard as you always are.

In your photo you have the horns in front of the windscreen - They haven't been there for ages, there is just a teak landing pad there nowadays.  The horns are now up Fwd along with the searchlight

Griff

BA NBN 817.JPG

BA NBN 818.JPG

BA NBN 819.JPG

BA NBN 820.JPG

Thanks, those pictures will get me along a bit.

• Like 1

just found a couple of photos you sent of the solar panels which gives me something to work with at the stern end roof,  On the subject of solar panels i have had to go with a single panel  the width of the pair as this is the only size that will fit, I cant get one the right size for them individually in a flexible panel that will curve to the roof.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PowerFilm-Flexible-Solar-Cells-4-8v-50ma-MPT4-8-75-Fast-Delivery/264312227861?hash=item3d8a3c8815:g:BAkAAOSw86JaZw6z

to be fair getting panels this size in flexible brings the available suppliers down to just a small number, mostly in the USA.

Understood, the two we have onboard are mounted very close to each other I seem to remember, they do have two polished s/steel caps over the terminals.  I'll have a look see,

Nope can't seem to find a suitable photo, these two aint' much cop.  Remind next weekend to send you some

Griff

BA NBN 821.JPG

BA NBN 822.JPG

They are no longer fitted as they failed within a few months of installation. The two s/steel covers are still used though

The company that supplied the panels in your photo were somewhat embarrassed  Robin worked his magic as a result they sent us a pair of their very best top range flexible panels.  But they needed their own dedicated  cables running right through to the control panel - that was a right job n a half.  I'll do the photo thing a week today

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just spent a happy morning on the lathe, creating the foremast, first the step was bored out to accept a 4mm brass tube, then shaped, then the 4mm tube was internally threaded to take a 4BA bolt. then the wooden section was created, a square topping block was glued to the 4mm beech dowel, then mounted on the lathe, this was then turned to shape and the base end turned down and threaded to fit into the tube, a 4ba screw was then cut down to length for fixing. the step was then taken to the sander to put a 5 degree slope across the bottom, a matching washer was also turned and sanded all that is needed now is to drill the roof and fit this

IMG_3065.JPG

• Like 3

No more than BA does.

as it turned out when i calculated (guessed) the 5 degree rake i was wrong as the roof slopes forward by 5 degrees, so i have remade the step and washer to 10 degrees rake, not the final positioning as i have yet to study Griffs pictures properly.

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

• Like 2

and the videos.

the first step is taking the 3/8" brass rod with a 4mm hole drilled through, and squaring off the ends and then cutting the narrow section down to 5.5mm , then parting off and tidying the part up.

putting an internal 4BA thread into a 4mm dia brass tube, this thread is for fixing down the mast through the roof and is also the ferrule at the bottom of the wooden mast section.

a lot of blank in the next one as i tidy up the thread just out of shot

working on the wooden mast part

next we shorten the 4BA screw and tidy up the end of the thread.

Here we make the tapered washer to go under the roof, this enables the screw to snug up nicely.

• Like 1

so a delivery (or two) arrived this morning in the post, some flexible solar panels and a narrow (1mm) Chrome Pen

I have had the idea that i can use this 1mm pen to do the lettering on the cabin sides, rather than trying to cut it from stainless steel, this will mean doing a few practice runs to get the font correct

IMG_3068.JPG

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

What you need is someone with a laser cutter Grendel

Get the letters cut from chrome vinyl.

where is the fun in that, OK we have the boat name in vinyl, from the same supplier that Griff gets them done for BA, so thats fine, the problem is size, if it were bigger I would think about vinyl, but its just that awkward size.

okay, todays little task, apart from practicing the writing, i have added the name vinyls to the model,  and then replaced all the roof fittings to get some pictures, also seen are the first attempts for the writing on the cockpit sides, i expect to practice more before i do the real ones on the model. also we now have the flexible solar panels, these will be fitted once i see the pictures of the current arrangement.

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

• Like 5

Well at the moment its getting it ready for its appearance at the Beccles Wooden boat show, after that there are still a few things to be done, wiring up the interior lighting, doors, canopy, you know little bits that will take some time, maybe adding the red lining around the name, etc etc.

After that, finish model #1 with all the little details, meanwhile, on my trips on water rail i will probably be taking measurements, if i want one too, i might end up making 3 of that one, after that, well ask me again in 6 years time maybe.

• Like 1