Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

As is the fact I am starting work at 6am (when I would normally be leaving home for work) and finishing at 3pm, giving me half the afternoon and all evening, normally I wouldnt get home until 6.30-7pm, so I am gaining 3-4 hours a day.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

so a quite easy day today, i just finished painting the antifoul, and then went on to the boot topping, after doing one side it wasnt too bad, but i went on and used some masking tape from lidls that seemed pretty good for the border with the white, i still have some tidying up between the red and the blue, but the line between the blue and white is fine.

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2977.JPG

• Like 8

yippee, the delivery I have been waiting for has arrived, my thin stainless steel sheet- I have 2 thicknesses, 0.1mm (4 thousandths of an inch) and some thinner at 0.02mm (about 0.7 thousandths of an inch) or 7 /10,000 inch), this stuff is thin enough to be cut with a sharp knife or scissors, so I can now have a play.

• Like 2

Peter,

At that thickness.

Create a print in software, stick the metal film onto a sheet of paper, set printer to a high gsm photo paper and print it direct onto the foil surface, bake the foil  a short while at a low temperature to fix the print.

You do not need a template to cut through then.

Cutting the foil direct  is easier than through a template.

Even better if you have a laser printer and the bottle to use it, you have to watch it in case  the power needs turning off.

QUICKLY.

I have done this and that's how I discovered you need to bake at a low temp to fix ink jet ink.

paul

I did have to take a break between words, and i still have the dots of the I's to do, i took the step of putting it onto the double sided tape before cutting it., now just one more like this to do, 2 Powles Crafts and some registration numbers.

• Like 1

Its not so much that the work is small, but i am wearing reading glasses and using my magnifying light, it takes intense concentration as one slip and you have to start again, and after a single word i need to take about an hours break before attempting the next. as you can see, the scalpel blade is bigger than the finished item, fortunately the stainless steel is quite strong, aluminium foil would be too frail for this.

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3005.JPG

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, grendel said:

I suppose before i go too much further, i had better check the size is correct, be stupid if i was making it harder for myself by .making them smaller than necessary.

:default_biggrin: Good idea, that!  :default_hiding:

Oh I knew i was in the right ball park, and after measuring the Broad Ambition is spot on, the Powels craft on the other hand was a little small (about 20% small) due to the slight angle the photo was taken, i have now matched the text height to the Broad Ambition text and will cut a new one at that size, the powels craft was the tricky one as when sailing with the canopy down, it is covered by the folded down cockpit sides and not visible, still i will get there.

On 15/05/2020 at 23:19, Paul said:

how thick is the stainless, my graphics cutter can handle metal foils

the stainless is just 0.02mm thick, its a kind offer, and I may take you up on it, I am going to try sticking the spare word i have to some varnished teak as per the sides and see how it looks, my preference of course it to manage with my own efforts where possible. the trouble is I would like a slightly thicker stainless, but as sizing goes the next available is 0.1mm, though I havent tried cutting that yet, I guess the ideal would be about 0.05mm, but I cant find anywhere that produces that at the moment, I know stainless foil is used in the heat treatment of metals to harden them (its used to exclude oxygen)

0.05mm Inox I can only source from China, so lead time are longer, but we're not going anywhere anytime soon. I've never tried cutting stainless so not sure what the results would be like. With aluminium then 0.02 is too thin without bonding it to something, the blade will ruffle corners, the extra hardness of stainless might help.