Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

This with tongue firmly in cheek as I am really amazed by the skill shown here.

I'm afraid it's just not good enough! Those sidelights should have an arc of 112.5 degrees from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam and the stern light an arc of 135 degrees and showing from right astern to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on either side. 90 and 180 respectively is just not good enough!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

well it was out with the specs and magnifying light for these and no mistake turned and filed to shape from 3/16" (4.8mm ) tinted perspex, shaped up on the lathe, filed to 2.5mm thickness to fit the lights and glued into the aluminium light bodies, i will still need to drill the correct distance into the plastic with probably a 1.4mm drill to fit the leds, but the coloured (and clear) lenses are in the navigation lights, they were so small i had to get a 4mm collet chuck to hold them while filing the plastic to shape.

the vice for reference is just over an inch wide

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3566.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

blimey, this is getting fiddly, i am working out how to do the side deck illuminations, size wise i decided the metal portion should be 4mm dia, unfortunately i didnt have any 4mm shiny steel, but i did have some 6mm shiny shaft from an old disassembled printer, so that was turned down to 4mm, as i only needed half a circle this was put in the mill and one side milled flat, not easy when you are holding a 4mm dia rod in a vice, anyway this was just managed without milling the vice too, then a 2mm slot was required through what was left, anyway after about an hours work, i had finally managed, the first fitting was started, now just the wood and glazing to be done, and the LED. then i have yo have a count to see how many more are needed about another 15 i think, well that will keep me busy through Christmas in tier 4.

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3568.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

40 minutes ago, grendel said:

blimey, this is getting fiddly, 

Erm, what do you mean "getting" fiddly? For most of us it got fiddly way back at the beginning with the planking. I think you have defined a new level of human fiddliness. Actually, it's starting to sound all wrong already...:default_norty:

I think you should join the ranks of Beaufort and Richter: the grendel scale of extra fine fiddliness. Or maybe not...:default_biggrin::default_coat:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Now that our upholsterer has completed the remaining outstanding items for the full size 'B.A' I have at last some left over material. I'll post it down to you as requested.  I'm hoping there will be enough for both models, if not then let me know. 

Griff

BA NBN 974.jpg

• Thanks 1