Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

at the first boot fair of the year on sunday, I spotted a bundle of thin wire, it was in a box of railway bits, and I had to buy the whole box for Β£2.50, it was a bargain, many rolls of fine copper multistrand wire 1mm dia over the insulation, and also some tiny versions of the solder heat shrink joints, where the ends seal the joint of the heatshrink, and then the solder melts making the join, anyway an hours work and testing a couple of these tiny joints and I have a third deck light up and running, she is starting to look good in the dark with lights on, one more deck light and I can turn her around and do the port side.

DSCF0029.JPG

DSCF0030.JPG

DSCF0031.JPG

DSCF0032.JPG

• Like 4

oh bother said Pooh, yes after successfully wiring the 4th deck light i made a simple error and fried my voltage regulator (plugged the battery into the wrong 2 posts and let the blue smoke out, unfortunately that means i need to wait for a new pack to arrive (friday) the good bit is that they are as cheap as chips (microchips- get it?)

I will now do some circuit board surgery to ensure I cant make this mistake again (I am also considering a slightly more expensive solution that will also stop this happening - a whole Β£4)

so the new voltage regulators arrived, and after a bit of testing I decided which one to use, the much bigger more robust units were chosen, this means mounting them standalone off the board, but I think that may be for the best

these have a small LED display so you can read the input and output voltages, anyway today was a case of wiring them into the connectors, here is where my resolve not to repeat my plugging in mistake came back to bite me, to ensure I could not accidentally plug the battery in incorrectly, I had cut the pins off the output positive, only now that i was using an external voltage regulator, I needed those pins to plug into, Pooh was bothered again.

still all it really meant was changing a socket for a plug, this done the lighting board was once again working, test time.

of course this all took so long I didnt get any other lights wired in today, the model is now displaying her port side ready for work.

DSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0051.JPG

DSCF0052.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've been following the progress Grendel and so enjoy seeing your updates of this incredible model. I just looked back at your first post on this thread nearly 6 years ago, what a labour of love. Keep going, do you have a planned day for 'The Launch'Β  I presume Griff will lay on the Champagne!

• Like 1

well she has had several test sails up to this point, but the official launch, as Leo would say on tally Ho, two yearsΒ :default_biggrin:I hope to get her to the meet with full running lights - thats just a few weeks away now. the problem is that the small details take time, for instance, just fitting and wiring 1 light can be an hours work, so generally i get one done per day this is because it is just that fiddly.

Just now, grendel said:

well she has had several test sails up to this point, but the official launch, as Leo would say on tally Ho, two yearsΒ :default_biggrin:I hope to get her to the meet with full running lights - thats just a few weeks away now. the problem is that the small details take time, for instance, just fitting and wiring 1 light can be an hours work, so generally i get one done per day this is because it is just that fiddly.

Look forward to it.

'Fiddly' to you, nigh on impossible to most, me included!

39 minutes ago, AndyTBoater said:

So are you going to change the rubbing strikes to match the newly replaced Utile ones?

Β 

the ones down the sides on the model have always been mahogany, so in reality they are just bringing the boat on a par with the model, however the top strake isnt and wont get changed now, though it was laminated at the bow in exactly the same way Robin made the new one.

well its coming along, the port deck lights are installed, 2 are now wired up, and with just over a week before the meet, I am hoping to get the last two wired, then it will be functional, if not neatly installed (i have hours of work yet with sticky pads and cable ties to make the wiring neat, its a tight squeeze in there when you have hands the size of mine. so the hope is to have the lighting running ready for the meet.

DSCF0075.JPG

DSCF0076.JPG

DSCF0077.JPG

• Like 5

You will notice a few changes to the full size version at the meet.Β  The wheelhouse deck and galley decks will be Holly & Teak - Well that is to say they will be once the suppliers have finally got them made so I can take delivery cut and fit to size.Β  The aluminium edge trims to the deck boards will be no more (An extra deck support will be fitted)Β  The s/steel fender plates on the top rubbing strip have gone too.Β  there will also be polished 316 s/steel 'Bin iron' fitted to all rubbing strips.Β  The aft fenders will now be F02's instead of the previous slightly larger F3's and hang vertically and mounted slightly further outboard.Β  Other than that, nowt visuallyΒ Β :default_icon_rolleyes:Β  Sometime this year the five varnished roof trims will be changed to teak items when we get round to painting the roofs - still in gloss white.Β  Presently she has no name applied to the bows and transom, we do have them ready to go on though

Griff

Β 

• Like 2

unfortunately probably not, as i doubt i can steer two boats at once, and launching from deck is probably not that easy either, she will be cruising at the meet though, as launching from salhouse is relatively easy. (from the beach)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As Griff keeps reminding me, there are 2 sections of deck that aren't painted, there were 2 solutions, first to sand off all the paint, stain to an appropriate colour and varnish, but I chose the second option, I dug through my stocks of marquetry veneer ( purchased very cheap at boot fairs) selected an appropriate grain and colour, then just superglued it over the existing white roof, so far it's only had a couple of coats of thinned varnish, but it will be receiving more in due course, at least that's another task completed.

IMG_20220625_184228.jpg

IMG_20220625_184243.jpg

• Like 4

and thus we come back to wiring, this means everything unplugged, stick the circuit board in place, and reconnect, this time routing the wiring neatly, then fixing the wiring down with cable ties. access is tight so often i find myself working at fingertips, or using long reach pliers or clamps to hold and manipulate wires and cable ties, hopefully it wont take as long as it did to wire the lights in the first place.

i still need to come up with a selector switch to switch the battery from providing power to being charged from the solar panel

DSCF0099.JPG

DSCF0100.JPG

• Like 3