Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

I will seal the cardboard with a varnish or lacquer, as for the rolled back canopy, I feel that I will just make a second version in the rolled up format, so you use one or the other, making a canopy that could be rolled up would i feel just leave it vulnerable to damage and almost impossible to deploy.

• Like 2

Robin - I think it would be far toooo thick and not fold / stay rolled properly and be toooo big.

However unless of course just a small amount was used for effect full width,  folded over only a couple of times - That'd work fine. 

Grendel - I could get onto the chap that supplied the canopy and get a small sample big enough for what you require  if you wish?

Griff

Griff, you have the gist of the problem in that it would be way too thick, I did consider this, but really i knew it wasnt the solution, I also considered cloth, but that would make it difficult to handle, I am still not sure how I will handle the rolled up version, as part of that consists of the clear windows, I do have some thin sheets of clear plastic for the windows on the rest of the boat, so it may take a couple of goes for the rolled canopy.

as an example if the material was just 1mm thick, that would be the same as having the real canopy 1/2" thick, so you would be looking for something around 0.25mm thick (the card I have is 0.28mm, so just about perfect)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The rolled up canopy was nowhere near easy, and it's still not lying as flat as I would like, basically I used full curved rails where they would be seen, and the rest are just 1" lengths glued at the ends, glazing plastic added  then rolled up ( not easy where the curved rails are).

20231001_132238.jpg

20231001_132245.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chipping away at this project, more parts being made on the mill and on the lathe ( this lathe is the little flexispeed I inherited from a very good machinist friend, this was one of two tiny lathes he used when he could no longer manage to get in his workshop, and though small is finely tuned and produces good results on small parts.

20231104_080652.jpg

20231104_080700.jpg

20231104_080713.jpg

20231104_080740.jpg

20231104_080750.jpg

20231105_093043.jpg

20231105_093055.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, grendel said:

Chipping away at this project, more parts being made on the mill and on the lathe ( this lathe is the little flexispeed I inherited from a very good machinist friend, this was one of two tiny lathes he used when he could no longer manage to get in his workshop, and though small is finely tuned and produces good results on small parts.

Wot - you didn't use your Unimat 3 ! :default_rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Wot - you didn't use your Unimat 3 ! :default_rolleyes:

Nope, the little flexispeed is more limited in what it can turn, and would struggle with harder materials, but this task is within its work envelope, and it sits on a shelf within arms reach of where i am working, should it start to struggle with the job, i will naturally escalate to the unimat 3, similarly should the unimat struggle I would escalate to the 13" south bend. the flexispeed is great for small items in brass (the 1" diameter parts I am putting the taper on are about the biggest it will manage, and at that I am needing to restrict myself to about 4 thousandths of an inch cut (0.1mm)

• Like 3

Right, for the next bit of work, I did have to decamp to the unimat 3 and even that struggled, putting  an internal radius on a part isn't easy as at some point your tool will be cutting  all the way round the edge of the curve, the flexispeed definitely  wasn't  having it at all, even going gently the unimat was on the edge of its capabilities, but I got the corners cut in for a nice radius.

20231107_161829.jpg

20231107_161836.jpg

• Like 3