Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

its amazing how many small screws you can store in small spaces, that little round tub contains 1mm, 1.2mm and 1.4mm screws nuts and washers- over 600 of them.

I still have to add the loop to the top of the aluminium mudweight thats been turned down from a scrap of 1" bar I had.

the video shows the winch working with the test weight, on 9 volts (its a  12v motor) (just as a reference for scale, the vice thats holding the motor is only 1" wide) 

• Like 4

Well my new bolts arrived, so I have fitted a bolt and nut to the motor.

That's 50 bolts and 50 nuts there, in scale they are equivalent to m10x250 bolts.

I do naturally have the full set of incremental drills from 1mm to 6mm in 0.1mm steps, as I had to run a 1.6mm drill through to get the proper clearance for the bolts

20230328_105257.jpg

20230328_105806.jpg

20230328_102524.jpg

• Like 1

I once bought a metal cabinet at a boot fair, it had little drawers on all 4 sides and was on a lazy susan bearing, inside the drawers (some sides had 2 rows of drawers, all pivot out on the corners,) was a complete set of whitworth taps up to 1", a comlete set of whitworth dies (up to 1") and the tapping drills for the above also a few odd drawers containing BA taps and dies and other useful threads.

I also have other sets of drills, and now I buy cases where there are an assortment of sizes, with up to 10 drills of each size in the case. all useful stuff(all got at boot fairs when I see them, and i probably wont ever need to buy a new drill ever again.

• Like 2

It was a tad chilly in the workshop  today, so after I had dug out one of my other small lathes I set up in the spare bedroom, it's only small, but I was only making something small, it's now roughed out, I have to make 2 flats on the thick end, drill a hole through and thread the narrow end, of course it's a ring bolt for the mud weight. After the above it will get filed to final shape. I might well draw the line at making a shackle to go through it though.

20230328_175511.jpg

20230328_180536.jpg

20230328_180657.jpg

20230328_175459.jpg

• Like 3

After a day when I was getting  other things done, I now have 3 shelves up on the wall above the little lathe, I have collected the parts and repaired my  3d printer ( I managed to snag and break the temperature sensor on the extruder, so a new extruder is fitted and a second spare on the shelf ensures it won't break down quickly) I have finally found where I put my 8BA taps and drilled the 1.8mm hole and threaded it in the top of the mud weight, so here it is one mud weight with eye bolt.

20230329_203713.jpg

• Like 3

finally got a few minutes free to test the new setup, and happy to say it works (i did first have to fix my 30V power supply (blown fuse) to get a steady 9V, as the motor can work on 12v I am looking around to find a 12V capable speed controller so it can be run directly from the propulsion battery.

• Like 3

further tests using a 12V rated speed controller (a 60A controller really is overkill for this- the motor is drawing .05A flat out) and this works well, actually this controller is so nice it may well get swapped out as the primary speed controller for the model.

anyway out of curiosity I was looking online, and found that you can get winches for R/C trucks, well worth a punt for a tenner, so I have ordered one to compare with the one I made- the strangest part is you can buy spare motors for them, and they use the same motors as I have used, albeit with a slightly different gearbox mounted. so we will have to see whether they are as good or better than my home brew motor- obviously the best one will get put into the model.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

well, its happened, with the addition of new working areas I once again have space for the model on a work bench, and additionally space alongside to work, juggling space has been the issue at this end with multitudinous projects all demanding their own space.

as some of you may have noticed where I sneaked an update into another thread yesterday, work on the model has recommenced, yesterday I got the stern jackstaff made, and today i have spent some time cutting wood. I had some formers for the canopy pre bent, however these were way to massive (some being 6mm square, so today it was down to the bandsaw, to thin these curved pieces up- of course i wont throw away the offcuts, they may come in handy elsewhere, so the curved pieces were cut down to just under 4mm square, and some 2mm x 2mm sections were cut from the board I used for the rear door (I wonder if anyone else has cut 2mm x 2mm timbers on a bandsaw), these will form the rebates to hold in the window glass in the cockpit and other places necessary, next to plane and sand all these timbers to make them smooth to work with, so I have my miniature planes and some flour grade sandpaper at the ready.

20230920_151331.jpg

20230920_151341.jpg

20230920_151406.jpg

20230920_151425.jpg

20230920_153515.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MargeandParge said:

It's  just  amazing the patience commitment and skill.

I agree, its amazing just how patient Griff is waiting for me to complete this, committment, well anyone who takes on something like this probably needs to be committed, skill- well thats just a case of doing whats necessary, and if it doesnt work first time, think of another way and try again. making small things is just like making them normal sized, but smaller, good spectacles small fine tools and lots of patience.

• Like 10

some of you may have noticed where I sneaked an update into another thread yesterday,

I didn't miss it at all, I was cock-a-hoop (Still am)

Now I have to decide if I tell my grandsons that work has re-commenced on the model once more.  They are desperate for me to sail model 'B.A' on our local village pond, not to mention other places and badger me for updates

Griff

• Like 3