Olympics

Timbo

Is it me being...well,... old is the term...but has anyone else noticed how, now how do I put this delicately? I know....how crap modern gymnasts are? OK I admit it, I used to have a crush on Nadia Comaneci...truth be told she can still come and do the dishes at my house any day of the week, but her modern successors have all the grace and poise of a dump truck. Their movements are stilted and jerky. Nothing flows, there's no grace, no beauty of movement and then they land like a sack of sh shpuds! That is of course if they have not fallen off, missed a grip or movement, bumped into the apparatus...and they still give full marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi_5xbd5xdE

And while I'm at it...what's with all the new 'lingo'. Listening to the radio commentary on the swimming the other night I keep hearing the announcer mention 'he'll be swimming the fly'. It took me a few seconds to think 'oh the butterfly' as all I could picture was some bloke splashing around on his back impersonating a blue bottle in  a puddle.

• Like 5

Its called errrr progress Tim, I can understand your thoughts though, coming from a backwater part of England:hardhat:

Seriously, Grace is here on the NBN not at Rio:norty: and these "modern" gymnasts do perform dangerous routines. I just cant see you performing on the Isometric bars !:norty: more likely the local bar. cheersbar

Its the speed of the swimmers these days, the commentators haven't time to say words like butterfly! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Its called errrr progress Tim, I can understand your thoughts though, coming from a backwater part on England:hardhat:

Seriously, Grace is here on the NBN not at Rio:norty: and these "modern" gymnasts do perform dangerous routines. I just cant see you performing on the Isometric bars !:norty: more likely the local bar. cheersbar

Its the speed of the swimmers these days, the commentators haven't time to say words like butterfly! :naughty:

cheersIain

Oh but Iain...don't you just miss the old Olympics where men were men, and so were most of the East German ladies team. David Hemery running the steeplechase behind his big moustaches and smoking a pipe while clutching a pint of double diamond. 

I was damned good on those bars I tell you. Took great delight in beating Harvard in the 1500m, then totally thrashed them in the 15 pints.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I was damned good on those bars I tell you. Took great delight in beating Harvard in the 1500m, then totally thrashed them in the 15 pints.

Now that I can believe, no not the 1500m :norty: the 15 pints cheersbar :naughty:

cheersIain

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Watching the Ladies Beach Volleyball... There's already been a wrist injury ...... but I should be OK in a couple of days :blush:

I'm surprised no one had the idea of putting a hose onto the pitch for a few days before the start of the women's rugby sevens!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Oh boys, please do behave and have a little bit of dignity. Honestly, you wouldn't see me drooling over the men in the men's diving event :naughty:

Grace :angel:

But Grace...we were hoping you'd hang on to our dignity...cos we've got some serious letching to do !:nosey:

• Like 1

TALKING OF RECORDS

As all have read the Duke of Westminster was taken ill on his Abbeystead Estate before passing away in hospital.

However the Grosvenor family trust had only held these 18000 acres of Bowland in Lancashire since 1980. The house and estate were the shooting lodge of the 4th Earl of Sefton.

On the 12th August 1915 a record was set for a single day, 2929 grouse were taken by eight guns.

I think it is highly likely that most people would think it was held by one of the great Scottish or York Moors shooting estates. 

One for the Red Rose County. (Incidently the glorious 12th has been cancelled on all the Grosvenor estates as a mark of respect)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Poppy said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rio-olympics-2016/1582891/rio-olympics-2016-team-gb-cyclists-using-bikes-coated-with-top-secret-aerodynamic-paint-designed-to-win-formula-ones-top-races/

My son headed the team which designed and developed the handlebars, among other parts for the British team track bikes .

Proud dad! :party:

Well done that man! Although they did miss a design trick...it's a well known fact that putting a bit of cardboard in between the frame and spokes of your wheels makes your bike sound like a motorbike and consequently you go faster. 

• Like 9

To go back to the original post - I think they are all so beefed up now to be able to perform triple back roll tucked pike inversions or whatever they do that they are too muscular to be dainty. That's the progress thing I guess.

And Grace - I reckon I might have more luck with a few of the guys in the pool than you!!!!

The cycling has become so high tech though with tenths of seconds in some instances being the goal - however watching the teams last night in the pursuit etc we did look bloody good and kept our composure much better than the others - so it's not all high tech. And rather the Dutch guy who came of at 60KMH in his lycra than me - on a motorbike you would have leathers on at least!!

I still take my hat off to them all for the commitment, determination and skill they put in.:clap:clap:clap

ps. I am a champion at both the fly and the brick in the pool:party:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

To go back to the original post - I think they are all so beefed up now to be able to perform triple back roll tucked pike inversions or whatever they do that they are too muscular to be dainty. That's the progress thing I guess.

Beefed up is one word. I was watching the British women's gymnastic squad the other day with my Mrs. What I was thinking was 'not the right shape for a leotard really' but my Mrs beat me to the gun exclaiming 'They've all got legs like mine!".

• Like 3

On 12/08/2016 at 10:30 AM, Poppy said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rio-olympics-2016/1582891/rio-olympics-2016-team-gb-cyclists-using-bikes-coated-with-top-secret-aerodynamic-paint-designed-to-win-formula-ones-top-races/

My son headed the team which designed and developed the handlebars, among other parts for the British team track bikes .

Proud dad! :party:

Just to think, those Gold medals - 35 years ago me an the missus hadn't... No, better not go there :naughty:

• Like 1

Suffolk was celebrating today after its dwile-flonking Olympians added yet another Gold for Team GB in Rio.

The awesome foursome from Beccles beat Albania in a nail-biting final to clinch Britain’s first Gold in dwile flonking since it was reintroduced as an Olympic sport in 1968.

Sadly their victory will not be seen on television because the sport, which began in rural East Anglia in the 17th Century, involves alcohol and heavy drinking.

But photographs from Brazil show Rodger Smith from Beccles successfully tossing his beer-soaked dwile at hapless Albanians.

What a flonker: Suffolk’s Rodger Smith takes aim

The elitist sport remains popular in many countries across the world, although America disappointed by crashing out in the qualifiers to Kazakhstan.

Dwile flonking involves two teams. One stands in a circle around an opposition flonker, who has a cloth – or dwile – which he soaks in a bucket of beer at his feet and drapes over a stick.

He then spins around and tries to release the dwile so that it strikes one of the other team. If he fails, he has to drink the contents of the bucket (traditionally Adnams).

This continues in rotation until the last team standing wins. In rare circumstances it is settled with a points system.

Beccles in Suffolk is the world headquarters for dwile flonking after the sport was revived there in the mid 1960s.

Smith, 67, competes for Team GB with fellow Beccles farmers Tim Smith, Dave Smith and Bill Smith.

http://www.suffolkgazette.com/sport/dwile-flonkers-win-olympic-gold/#

• Like 1

Olympic cycling has become a must watch at our house...not so much for the sport but my other half's commentary.
"What's the point in that?" her most frequent comment whilst watching some guy riding a Raleigh Chopper at the front of the keiran.
"If he'd stop looking behind him and watch where he's going he might frame better!" in the sprint!

"He's got Kim Kardashian's bum" yesterday's gold medal winner.

As for me the highlight was the Dutch Women's Cyclist riding up the wall.

uq4lv7I.mp4