Breaking News

JennyMorgan

Just had Coastguard, fire engine, rescue tender, police and ambulance racing down my driveway. Apparently a RIB, at speed, has crashed into a moored boat in Oulton Dyke. Don't know any more than that at this moment. A neighbour has become involved using his speedboat and is helping. Blue lights & sirens, sounds serious. Will find out tomorrow what's happened, just hope its not fatal. This late at night suggests a boat returning from the WRC to Oulton Broad but that is only a guess. 

Access there is really awkward. It's at the end of a long, straight stretch so difficult to envisage how something happened. Speculation useless, as usual! Hope it is not as serious as it sounds.

I seem to remember a training session not that long ago when they used Colmans  for launching to access the area including Tea Gardens. In fact they used Colmans when that lady broke her foot at the Tea Gardens mooring and had to be taken off the boat. Not sure Shaun's slipway is the ideal option.

Like everyone has said, I hope that anyone involved is ok.

But at a river limited to, is it 5 or 6 mph on that stretch ? how can any accident be that serious? Mind you I wouldn't like one of the big hire craft say hitting our boat at that speed, some one will most likely end up in hospital.

I wonder if speed was a contributing factor, most of us have witnessed boats speeding, but without calibrated equipment and training, it may not stand up in court, but the outcome from speeding following an accident might. 

It will be interesting to read the report, as we are only speculating as to the cause, again our thoughts must be with those involved. Again the emergency services seemed to get things organised very quickly. They must have a list of access points all around the Broads, after all it's for our benefit. It means we can sleep a little more soundly in our beds when we choose to moor in a remote location.

Richard

I was looking earlier at UK coastguard regarding The Camber Sands incident ( an area I know well) 

The Oulton incident in on there also

Speedboat with two adults and two children collided with a moored craft occupants taken to hospital by ambulance.

There were no further details.

Richard, the experience of last night is that the Authorities might well know of locations but not necessarily how best to access them. There was also some confusion as to the exact location which did not help. We have seen some criticism in the past as to the size of emergency turn-outs on the Broads but in this case it was well justified as vehicles were able to search out likely alternatives. My hat is off to the blue light boys and girls this morning.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Richard, the experience of last night is that the Authorities might well know of locations but not necessarily how best to access them. There was also some confusion as to the exact location which did not help. We have seen some criticism in the past as to the size of emergency turn-outs on the Broads but in this case it was well justified as vehicles were able to search out likely alternatives. My hat is off to the blue light boys and girls this morning.

I totally agree, and thanks for bringing this to our attention, and from what I understand the support you gave too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-suffolk-36895908?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=57bfe6f9e4b0a17b497a8fbb%26Four people taken to hospital after speedboat collision%26&ns_fee=0#post_57bfe6f9e4b0a17b497a8fbb

I have my suspicions about this one but as the four were apparently all on land suggests walking wounded rather than critical. I suspect that the local gossip machine will reveal all over at the sailing club later to day.

What a very sad end to what should have been a fun evening out.

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/two-hospitalised-speedboat-crash-oulton-broad-41291

Other reports say the vessel was not a conventional speedboat but in fact a RIB.

Let us wish those involved a speedy recovery.

28 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Whilst I do have my own opinions on this one, do know the people involved, it is not for me to comment. Further news will be released as and when by the family & the authorities.

Totally agree Peter, there is no point in chewing the fat on this one and who knows it could cause distress. The relevant authorities have matters in hand and as you say all will be revealed in the fullness of time.  As has been said, I am sure we all hope for a speedy but more importantly full recovery for those involved.

My family do know those involved & i have now been told the full details. The important thing though is that the injuries are not life threatening although the poor little girl has just come out of theatre after several hours of plastic surgery. The mother sustained damaged vertebrae in her neck and a fractured jaw. As Chris has said there is no point in chewing the fat at the moment, our prayers have to be with the family and friends, I hope that you understand. 

• Like 5