Breaking News

JennyMorgan

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

My family do know those involved & i have now been told the full details. The important thing though is that the injuries are not life threatening although the poor little girl has just come out of theatre after several hours of plastic surgery. The mother sustained damaged vertebrae in her neck and a fractured jaw. As Chris has said there is no point in chewing the fat at the moment, our prayers have to be with the family and friends, I hope that you understand. 

Not good news Peter, but from what you say not as serious as reported in the press and on line for the mother. So good from that stand point.

Inevitably there is some of the predictable bunkham appearing elsewhere so to stop speculation here is an abbreviated diary of the event.

The children had been having a wonderful time at an event at the local sailing club, eventually being rounded up by about ten thirty.

The father, his wife and two children set off and once in open water the father opened up, I suppose to give the children a thrill, as surely it must have been. Probably seen as harmless fun but the consequences were tragic.

On nearing his mooring they collided with a boat laying to a mudweight. Presumably the moored boat was unlit as is the way of the Broads.

All the occupants were knocked unconscious as apparently the RIB flipped over on its back.

On gaining consciousness the man saw his wife floating face downwards and children supported by their lifejackets. Fearing for his wife's life he then dealt with her first.

His boat was insured and tolled. It was a stupid thing that he did and I have no doubt that it will impact on him for the rest of his life.

My huge, personal regret is that I did not report earlier speeding on the Broad by the same man to the Authority. Had I have done so, and this applies to other people too, then perhaps this would not have happened. We all  turned a blind eye on the irresponsible behaviour of a friend, we were collectively wrong to have done so, for that I am sorry.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/woman_and_girl_seriously_hurt_in_oulton_broad_boating_incident_1_4674472

• Like 2

Take it off your back Peter.

You can take a horse to water. . .

You can't blame yourself because someone was speeding on the Broad on the Thursday night of Oulton week. When I think back to my own youth, and that of my old friends. . . 

I have great sympathy for you, in these tragic circumstances and also, thank you very much for letting us know.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Take it off your back Peter.

You can take a horse to water. . .

You can't blame yourself because someone was speeding on the Broad on the Thursday night of Oulton week. When I think back to my own youth, and that of my old friends. . . 

I have great sympathy for you, in these tragic circumstances and also, thank you very much for letting us know.

Very well said, Vaughan.

• Like 3

A sad incident indeed, and it is now for the authorities to carry out their full investigations etc. I don't suppose any punishment, if any, will be as bad as the father's own regret's. However, if ever there was an advert for proper wearing of lifejackets then this must surely be the wake up call. At least the father was able to attend to his wife whilst the lifejackets were supporting his children.

You have nothing to blame yourself for Peter, and thank you for the update to end any speculation. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Folk might be interested to know that apparently the hospital treatment is without complications, thankfully.. 

some good news at least , i saw a photo of the other boat , a woody with a hole in it's starboard side , must have been really on the throttle to done that sort of damage .

• Like 1

The Authority is rightfully on the case. If anyone does have any first hand, personal knowledge, not hearsay, then the BA would like to hear from you:

Steve Wright

Ranger for the River Waveney 

Steve.wright@broads-authority.gov.uk

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John said:

surely they have all the details as I would hope the guy has held his hands up to what happened. 

Rule of any insurance claim is never admit liability!! They tell you to do that, not my rules.

I'm with most honest people in that if it's blatantly obvious what the cause was, just admit it!!

Of course, maybe it wasn't obvious - could have been a mechanical problem?

1 hour ago, John said:

Thing is not many people about that time of night. Who raised the alarm was it the poor people who got rammed?

surely they have all the details as I would hope the guy has held his hands up to what happened. 

Apparently the alarm was raised by the driver of another boat that witnessed the crash. I really can not say more than that, sorry.

• Like 3

I know it runs counter to human nature, but it really is best to leave the various investigating agencies to do their jobs and produce reports or take action. I've heard a few things, and seen the damaged cruiser, but it is all hearsay and not worth repeating on open forum.

I am sure the investigation will take into account the time of night, what they were doing in the preceeding hours, where the witness was, even the fact that it was boaty carnival week. Let us let them get on with it and let the dogs lie until we get the official verdict because we don't know.

• Like 5

The question has been asked, was the owner aboard the cruiser that was hit? Yes, he was & I suspect that his evidence will be crucial. The BA are now knocking on the doors of Broadside houses, they are being nothing but thorough! The police are also taking statements, presumably because a child was badly injured.   

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Mum is now home, still unable to talk properly as one side of her face is still frozen but she is now able to swallow unassisted. The little girl almost proudly showed off her scars to one of my daughters. Apparently the areas from which skin was taken for plastic surgery are the most painful.

We now know that only one boat was involved, no racing, just one very foolish man speeding at night. The BA are prosecuting.

On 27/08/2016 at 10:35 AM, JennyMorgan said:

Inevitably there is some of the predictable bunkham appearing elsewhere so to stop speculation here is an abbreviated diary of the event.

The children had been having a wonderful time at an event at the local sailing club, eventually being rounded up by about ten thirty.

The father, his wife and two children set off and once in open water the father opened up, I suppose to give the children a thrill, as surely it must have been. Probably seen as harmless fun but the consequences were tragic.

On nearing his mooring they collided with a boat laying to a mudweight. Presumably the moored boat was unlit as is the way of the Broads.

All the occupants were knocked unconscious as apparently the RIB flipped over on its back.

On gaining consciousness the man saw his wife floating face downwards and children supported by their lifejackets. Fearing for his wife's life he then dealt with her first.

His boat was insured and tolled. It was a stupid thing that he did and I have no doubt that it will impact on him for the rest of his life.

My huge, personal regret is that I did not report earlier speeding on the Broad by the same man to the Authority. Had I have done so, and this applies to other people too, then perhaps this would not have happened. We all  turned a blind eye on the irresponsible behaviour of a friend, we were collectively wrong to have done so, for that I am sorry.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/woman_and_girl_seriously_hurt_in_oulton_broad_boating_incident_1_4674472

I know exactly what you mean Peter. A good friend of mine who passed away some years back was, like me, an avid motorcyclist, who liked and raved about irresponsible "stunt" riding on public roads. He always ridiculed me for poo pooing the practice, and telling him it was highly dangerous. Then one day, we both went for a ride and i pulled up at a T junction from a side road. ahead of him. I could hear him behind revving up and dropping the clutch doing wheelies. Then it got very loud, then close, and i got an almighty shove in the back pushing me out into the main traffic flow in front of a bus, and a car coming from both directions. Luckily, i quickly revved up and dropped the clutch to get out of the way, but had to put my pride and joy down a ditch to avoid an accident, which in all honesty would probably have killed me.  He tried to say it was an accident, but i made him understand that if questions were asked, there was no way i was going to lie for him, no matter how long he`d been a friend. That incident tested our friendship to breaking point, but we both got over it, and he never did any stunts when out with me anymore.

That said, he still got up to stupid things himself, but never caused any more accidents, but i still to this day wonder whether i should have reported him. 

As you say, we`ve ALL turned a blind eye to family and friends when pushing the limits, but these days, i try to look BEYOND the bounds of friendship if people openly, and proudly break any serious law.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

We now know that only one boat was involved, no racing, just one very foolish man speeding at night. The BA are prosecuting.

An easy prosection to no benefit, the father will have suffered more from what he did to his wife and daughter than any fine.

• Like 3