The More I Find Out The Less I Know

MauriceMynah

There is no need for a sender for 2 helm positions as this can be done by parallel wiring.

As I said, keep it simple.

You can moor your boat behind Peachments sheds, beside where Bounty used to be, and just upstream of Alpha Craft. Why not go there, show them your boat, and let them supply the right parts.

When you are there, please give Kevin and Andrew Peachment my kind regards. This may or may not get you a discount!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

You can moor your boat behind Peachments sheds, beside where Bounty used to be, and just upstream of Alpha Craft. Why not go there, show them your boat, and let them supply the right parts.

When you are there, please give Kevin and Andrew Peachment my kind regards. This may or may not get you a discount!

That is looking like a highly probable course of action. Next time I'm up for a week, that could be just what I do. Even so, I would like to shop around a bit and learn what I need, possibly even fitting it myself if I can find out how.

• Like 1

I assumed you would be fitting it yourself and that is not a big problem, but you need to know what senders you already have, and get the right parts to suit them.

It is better this way as you might risk shearing off the blank plug in the cylinder head, when trying to remove it to fit a sender.

On 04/09/2016 at 5:32 PM, Vaughan said:

Vaughan said

Quote "Don't fit an ammeter, or you will have to pass the whole domestic circuit up through the dashboard"

Not necessarily

A conventional system is to fit a matched current shunt directly to the output of the battery, then all you need is a pair of thin leads to the control to the matching  meter.

20V100A_connection_1.jpg

Although this is the diagram for a digital meter,  Analogue meters work the same ( I measured 24 current shunts today from 100uA to 100A to an accuracy of one part in a million). The shunt in this diagram would be fitted between the battery negative connection and it's lead.

The other way is to use a hall effect current meter, which measures the current field of the cable passing through its sensor.s-l1600.jpg

I doubt you'll find an analogue meter version of one of these, but it provides an accurate reading without interfering with the circuit and is the method I'll be using on the battery pack for my electric motorboat.

• Like 1

Thank goodness for modern technology! You are quite right, of course.

In the old days the main cable from the battery went to the solenoid, which was separate from the starter. From there the charging circuit went up to the dashboard, through the ammeter and back to the dynamo. Domestic feed could be taken from the battery side of the solenoid, but more usually from the battery side of the ammeter, as the fusebox was usually in a cupboard behind the steering wheel. 

A lot simpler these days. In some ways, at least!

I think they have a little more equipment than I'll have and none of the six will go under Potter bridge (or any other broads bridge). If they could get there with all their engine problems... although they are a generator to electric motor boat just like mine!!!

Type_45_Destroyer_HMS_Diamond_Enters_Portsmouth_for_the_First_Time_MOD_45151877.jpg

I'd prefer to be sailing but a support ship is handy....