Shishi Odoshi

MauriceMynah

Shishi and Odoshi are unwilling to help MM. Apparently they are totally fed up with people only interested in their 'bedroom activities'. In addition to this they are unwilling to move into your garden and chase herons particularly as you seem unsure as to the supply of bamboo. 

Python-Pandas-Features-Tutorial-Data-Min

In other news...the chap next door to the father in law has a Shishi Odoshi by his pond and the local heron stands next to it while he hunts and eats the fish in the pond.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timbo said:

In other news...the chap next door to the father in law has a Shishi Odoshi by his pond and the local heron stands next to it while he hunts and eats the fish in the pond.

Dammit, I thought I'd found a way of both keeping herons away from the pond and irritating the neighbours all in one hit!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Dammit, I thought I'd found a way of both keeping herons away from the pond and irritating the neighbours all in one hit!

I discovered a method of doing this in my teens. A school friend had managed to acquire some thunderflashes while he was with the army. Firing one in his back garden not only scared off any wildlife but also resulted in the glass dropping out of every greenhouse 5 doors either side of my friends house. The bloke two doors down blamed us for his wife going into labor but we suspected she was left of center and pregnant to begin with.

I do have a more practical solution for you. Note that I said

3 hours ago, Timbo said:

the chap next door to the father in law has a Shishi Odoshi by his pond and the local heron stands next to it while he hunts and eats the fish in the pond

My father in law's pond does not suffer from predation by the heron as I stretched sewing cotton above the pond and the immediate environs. This limits the herons wing space the first few time it tries to land, without injuring the bird, and the heron has since stayed away preferring to eat next door where it can fly in. Eventually we took the cotton down as the heron had decided to stay away.

• Like 1

Fishing line works well. Be warned the instant you take it off as the herons know about it!!! Some type of surveillance they have I think. 

Herons will also land in water. Another old wives tale I was relying on to keep them out. 

I Did try an electric fence which worked and was also quite funny when the neighbourhood cats came to investigate. No harm done though, but a little unsightly. 

Or do what I do now. And it's just for the frogs, newts and other wildlife. 

On 05/11/2016 at 5:02 PM, MauriceMynah said:

No Q-V, Herons are quite common and are usually found flying wild.

I have no idea Grendel. Is Heron good to eat?

I have heard of Heron Breast being eaten in the 19th century. Bittern was eaten and called "Butter Bump" by the marshmen and fowlers.

Generally though fish and meat eaters do not make good eating. I would stick to herbivors be they foul or mammal.

Bird scares which do not pose or are not based on a relevant biological threat are generally a lot less effective than those which do, so a piece of kit designed to scare deer might frighten herons off for a while, but they would most likely soon get used to it and then just ignore it.  Might well irritate the hell out of the neighbours though.

cheers

Steve

On 05/11/2016 at 4:46 PM, MauriceMynah said:

What I'm trying to find out is, will a Shishi Odoshi scare herons away from our pond? I'm thinking of making one if I can get the Bamboo. Advise on where I can get that would also be welcome. :) 

Fill in the pond, that'll keep them away.:party:

The pond in the garden at Anchor Moorings just down from Coltishall is festooned with an electric fence which seems to work. Poppy dog discovered it with her nose a few years back! We find ringing our 12 foot square pond with black pea netting works and doesn't look too unsightly.