Something New In Hoseasons

DAVIDH

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder that now Brooms are fitting out Tyler Steel narrow boat hulls whether we will see:-

A, more narrow boats on The Broads.

And

B, some in the hire fleet.

The first boat is to me launched at the Crick Boat Show.

7 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I wonder that now Brooms are fitting out Tyler Steel narrow boat hulls whether we will see:-

A, more narrow boats on The Broads.

And

B, some in the hire fleet.

The first boat is to me launched at the Crick Boat Show.

A, Please God no! There are far too many as it is. Might be some people's cup of tea but not mine. I think they look great on the Chesterfield Canal but incongruous on the Broads. 

B, same as A but with added 'don't want an inexperienced skipper aiming a metal bludgeon at my traditional wooden Broads boat'.

Bound to offend some but just like Superman has his Kryptonite... Timbo has canal barges on the Broads. 

• Like 3

More worryingly, it begs the question perhaps as to why they are having to do this - over the years they were very successful at building  their own designs AND selling them - perhaps they are no longer successful at this or not enough!

Good sign or bad sign?? Let's not speculate..!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonzo said:

I think it's just a case of diversifying and adapting to the market. Before they changed hands, Broom were not doing things right - They were selling their moulds to other builders who could turn out a quality boat for way less money and people were choosing to do just that.

People were buying a Haines (who are now easily a match in terms of quality) rather than pay Brooms 100% markup, and Brooms had got into quite a bit of debt and their product lineup was hardly innovative. So I think these latest developments are perhaps the next phase in that?

Hi Jonzo,

To be honest i believe the Haines finish is far superior to the Broom's from the boats we have looked around.

Regards

Alan

They are also building the English Harbour Yacht range. Not sure if they are building under licence or building for English Harbour. English Harbour are ex Fairline folk.

English Harbour have sub contracted all the boat building to Brooms, Adam Greenwood will continue to develop sales through the dealers and designing new boats.

It's public knowledge now but Fairline Yachts are moving back into some of the old building sheds at Oundle Marina they vacated some years ago, they are doing pretty well and need more room.  Not sure if they are the same ones English Harbour used.