Something New In Hoseasons

DAVIDH

If you hire a big boat like NYA Moneypenny your not really worried if you can't get under some bridges or go down a couple of rivers..... your just want to stay on the big rivers.... I know I would.. it's an awesome looking boat... it's great that there's another boat yard hiring out high class boats... let's hope it works out for them...

Ive enclosed the spec sheet on Moneypenny..... and it does state what bridges and rivers it can not go under or down.... 

IMG_1032.PNG

• Like 3

With the Ant theres a handy bridge in the way but what if a hirer of Moneypenny decides to ignore the restrictions and go up the Chet anyway, which in my opinion is more than likely going to happen.  Theres some very narrow areas on the chet and also in Chedgrave due to moored vessels. 

Im all for progress and these nice boats but its some of the people put in charge of them that concern me! 

• Like 2

It will not go under Ludham bridge either, but it should be able to go up the Chet, the upper helm would be the best option in steering this boat  so you can see what is coming above the reeds.

It is slightly less in air draft than Ranworth Breeze but only by a couple of inches and it is a little over 2 ft bigger in the beam. 

Regards

Alan

14 hours ago, dnks34 said:

With the Ant theres a handy bridge in the way but what if a hirer of Moneypenny decides to ignore the restrictions and go up the Chet anyway, which in my opinion is more than likely going to happen.  Theres some very narrow areas on the chet and also in Chedgrave due to moored vessels. 

Im all for progress and these nice boats but its some of the people put in charge of them that concern me! 

Given a beam of 12'9" there are many areas where access by this vessel is prohibited by Bylaws  -including ALL of the Ant and Chet

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/399232/Vessel_Dimensions_Byelaws-1.pdf

• Like 1

I suspect that moorings will be the problem for these super large boats. I do know of a number of such craft that have left the Broads not just to save on tolls but mainly because there is no where to go. There is very limited moorings at Beccles for big boats for example. It's not possible to phone ahead and reserve moorings at the Bypass Bridge 24 hour mooring, indeed it's thankfully not possible to reserve moorings at any 24 hour moorings. Surlingham Ferry has a stern mooring policy which might create problems for novices on big boats. I'm not sure that the rickety mooring at Reedham Ferry is really man enough for these big boats. Even on the South Broads there are only limited moorings for really big boats, especially ones needing to plug into the mains. I do question whether there is sufficient infrastructure designed to support such hire boats. Yes, I like the boats but would I hire one? No. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

She's only 42' I think, so shorter than the newer output from Ricko's...

37 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

She's only 42' I think, so shorter than the newer output from Ricko's...

I'm not convinced that the currant rash of big hire boats is the way forward, the current mooring infrastructure is under often severe pressure as it is. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'm not convinced that the currant rash of big hire boats is the way forward, the current mooring infrastructure is under often severe pressure as it is. 

If she is 42 I agree not that big for the south. Mine is 38, BA is 39 and I know loads a bit longer. No problems. 

Air draft may be though, as might beam, but i don't see this as a serious problem if you take care and plan. Maybe NYA will spend time with the punters planing routes and booking moorings? The ultimate lazy whatsits holiday? If it helps sell and keeps the boats clean. Can't argue that  

I wonder what draft they have though? 

Hopefully the discerning customers they might attract will be vetted and I do think it's sometimes easier to keep a clean boat looking clean as in no whacks as they stand out like a sore thumb when you take it back.

Only time will tell!!! 

• Like 2

Lets not start a campaign to say these boats will fit down the Chet or up the Ant(e)!

There are very good reasons why these Bye Laws exist -  to discourage larger boats. After all people CAN actually cope with something smaller!! I agree with PW on this ( not again!! ) and there is no doubt these boats DO put a bigger strain on the system. In fact over a certain size I would consider it sensible to increase the multiplier still further - why not?

They might look OK but so would a torpedo boat - do we want boats overlapping the confines of moorings just because people believe biggest is best.  And everyone knows that to be a lie in any case! (Or so they say! )

• Like 4

These super wide beam boats might well fit up the Chet but might there be a problem if there were another wide beam boat coming the other way? I suppose that it's human nature to push boundaries but the problem comes when those who have pushed then demand that the infrastructure be adjusted to accommodate their excesses, at every one else's expense. 

• Like 1

I can't understand why a very experienced boat builder would decide to introduce a new boat which is going to have so many restrictions in where you can go with it.

Surely with all their expertise they should be able to fit all the luxuries you want into a hull size which would allow the boat to travel over the whole of the navigable area.

Jeff

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I can't understand why a very experienced boat builder would decide to introduce a new boat which is going to have so many restrictions in where you can go with it.

Surely with all their expertise they should be able to fit all the luxuries you want into a hull size which would allow the boat to travel over the whole of the navigable area.

Jeff

Hello Jeff, 

I agree with you to a certain extent , I can not understand the need to make this boat so large in the beam, why did they not make it under the 12 foot 6 inches limit.

There are boats that can get under Potter Heigham but I assume that headroom in these boats will be limited and of course will be narrower in the beam.

Regards

Alan

How right you are Jeff. If I were both richer and younger I would follow the Dutch example by building a 'local' boat, such as a Norfolk wherry but in grp or steel rather than oak. Hey presto, no size limit and she could pass under those restrictive bridges. A wherry could offer supreme comfort, be at home on the Broads, make a superb houseboat too. 

Oh i thought it was just being used as the example!

ouch with a 229k price tag its going to take a good few seasons for that to earn its keep! 

Was there not another company called Posh Boats who used to hire out a plush private spec vessel a few years back? If memory serves that ended up badly damaged after running aground on breydon didnt it?

Jonzo, how right you are. Seen all too often is the bright spark that thinks that he knows better, likes boats and therfore knows it all, such folk often don't last too long, or at least fail to make it pay. I well remember 'Rank' buying Richardsons, a few years later Richardsons buy their old company back, for a great deal less than they sold it for!

• Like 2

The Shannon/Erne takes a degree of ability in order to navigate it safely.  If some folk cant even manage breydon without coming to grief imagine the trouble they could get themselves in to over there!  

I still wouldnt feel comfortable sending those lacking in ability out with oars for the week let alone an 85hp engine! 

• Like 1

Back in 2004 we hired Supermoore from Moores when she was still fairly new, im not sure what engine they had in her but when we took her across breydon she really was motoring! 

Just recently we visited florida and I hired a car with a 5.3L V8, you dont need it but boy was it a fun drive!   

Just now, dnks34 said:

Back in 2004 we hired Supermoore from Moores when she was still fairly new, im not sure what engine they had in her but when we took her across breydon she really was motoring! 

Just recently we visited florida and I hired a car with a 5.3L V8, you dont need it but boy was it a fun drive!   

It wouldn't be much fun when you went to the filling station !!!   lol

Jeff