Something New In Hoseasons

DAVIDH

Now that does look interesting. Checked out Arabella for a midweek break and it is affordable at the end of the season. Might have to consider that given that it's down south.

Just checked out the booking on Hoseasons and couldn't see any mention of a fuel deposit or anything additional to the quoted price. So they may be doing it as all inclusive like Ferry Marina. In which case the price is comparable to other boats we've hired in October.

• Like 1

I've been told the Broom hire fleet is doing very well and they will be adding new boats, they are also building English Harbour's boats under licence.

They will be fitting out narrow boats for Tingdene Marinas which will be interesting to see.

• Like 1

Looking at the internal photos of the first boat Arabella,  thank the Lord that at last they are putting in windows that open. We were all for hiring Captain or its other similar boats to find that there were no windows that opened in the entire boat except the hatch at the front and the roof.    Well we are talking Norfolk here and not Marbella  for the weather and a hatch and roof will be closed 9/10ths of the time.

• Like 1

Lovely boats and good to see as others have said, investment into fleets on the southern rivers.  So far as the beam of the larger craft, just goes to show 3" can mean a great deal.

That said, having read the relevant Bylaw it ends:

"NB: There is provision for vessels of greater beam and length to make up to four passages each year provided seven days prior written notice has been given to the Broads Authority. (See Byelaws 6(e) and 8(c))."

Since these are on 'private charter' (posh word for hire) I see no reason why someone who had hired chartered the boat and was in the know,  could not contact the Broads Authority and give them a weeks notice of their intention to bring the boat up the Ant, for example. The restriction is imposed by the Broads Authority after all not the operator.

52 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Vaughan,

Don't you mean 3.89 metres.

Regards

Alan

I noticed that as soon as I had posted it!

I put it down to :

(a) loss of memory in retirement

(b) senile decay

(c) Chateau de Péyriac Minervois.

And not necessarily in that order.

I can remember now, that their beam is 4.2 metres, over the rubbing strakes. In all seriousness, these are the Rolls Royce of inland waterways hire boats. I have never seen better, but then I have never regarded them as "Broads" boats and I am sure Andy Wolstenholme didn't, when he designed them.

If their size is indeed permitted, as hire boats, it is still very strictly limited. On the Thames however, they would be a "class" boat to hire.

• Like 5

The bigger one 'Moneypenny' is a new design by Haines in 2012 that has been up for sale since then. It has an air draught of 9ft 6in, and a beam of 12ft 9in.

http://www.hainesmarine.co.uk/haines-elegance.php#

The Broom Grand Explorer is bigger still, having an air draught of 9ft and a beam of 13ft 5in.

http://www.broomboats.com/explorer/explorer-42/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gracie said:

I care, very nice boats but personally I would much prefer boats that can access the whole of the Broads system, the prettier parts even more so, good news though and good luck to them, even if they do need nice teak carpet, eh Jaws ;)

Grace

You need a nice saily where the mast comes down for the bridges then :Sailing  :naughty:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, marshman said:

Pretty  - but pretty useless on the Broads given the beam of 12'9" . Cannot use the Chet or Ant nor above the smaller bridges!

I think I would like to go up the prettier rivers but I suppose the punters won't know or care much!!

Amen to that! Smart, indeed very smart, just useless! Probably aimed at the short break market where folk don't go far.