Something New In Hoseasons

DAVIDH

27 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

dsc_2708.jpg

Sorry to be pedantic but this is not the same boat that we have been discussing earlier. This is the Crown Clipper design which is shorter and narrower in beam. Designed as a luxury 4 berth. Even this though, would be too big for the Broads. To the right in the photo is an original type Classique which has the wide beam and in this case, a taller flying bridge moulded specially for Emerald Star Line in Carrick.

The big boat with the blue hull in earlier photos is a Crown Grand Classique. These boats were designed by Andy Wolstenholme for Crown Cruisers in Somerleyton and were for export, to France, Holland, Belgium and even New York State, on the Hudson River. There are literally hundreds of them abroad and so many were built in a short time that some were built under license by Brooms, Haines and a couple of others.

They were never meant for the Broads as other European waterways have no beam restriction.

They are really lovely boats but they were never meant to cruise on the Broads.

3 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I can't understand why a very experienced boat builder would decide to introduce a new boat which is going to have so many restrictions in where you can go with it.

Surely with all their expertise they should be able to fit all the luxuries you want into a hull size which would allow the boat to travel over the whole of the navigable area.

Jeff

Is it not more that they can't sell them so they are hiring them instead?

Ruby tuesday at least has been up for sale for yonks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonzo said:

Yeah the 36' is shorter and narrower, but are they not basically the same design scaled down?

They are "sort of". The Clipper came several years after the Classique but it is really a stand-alone design.

Both the moulds for the Clipper and the Classique were lengthened, to give the "Europa" and the "Grand Classique".

The blue boat we are talking about may have been built by Brooms for a private owner, hence all the fancy handrails.

Just now, Matt said:

Is it not more that they can't sell them so they are hiring them instead?

Ruby tuesday at least has been up for sale for yonks.

That could be ominous, there are quite a few big old posh buggers up at Brundall that have been up for sale for a year or two. I rather hope that this latest venture stumbles and dissuades others. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

Are you sure it's the 48ft version? I though Brooms' boat was only a 42?

I have had another look and it certainly looks like the Grand Classique but I can't really be sure from that angle. It doesn't seem to have the aft bathing platform. 

All the same it certainly has the same beam and that is too wide!

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

It's ok everybody, I have it on good authority that when he's finished doing all the dredging that's needed, Dr. Packman intends to widen the Chet and the Ant to enable craft of 60' length and 15' beam to cruise those waters.

While he's at it, perhaps he could do the channel to Woods End Staithe too? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

It's ok everybody, I have it on good authority that when he's finished doing all the dredging that's needed, Dr. Packman intends to widen the Chet and the Ant to enable craft of 60' length and 15' beam to cruise those waters.

Not without changing the by laws he won't .....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

can I have a small glass of whatever it is that you've been tasting?

Jeff

• Like 2

What some cracking boats. Bigger the better I say. Now that's what you call 1st class that's great news another yard has started up. Especially in the south. So who's going to be the first to hire one of them ?. And really who cares if it's not aloud down the Chet. I mean if you have a big craft like that you want to be cruising and showing off on the big rivers I know I would. Pimms o' clock on the top outside deck. cheerscheers 

• Like 1

So I've kind of been following this thread on and off over the last few days. Given that it started with Arabella can we make it clear that Arabella is only 32ft by 11ft 6in and therefore I presume will not have any issues with the Chet.

Given I've never hired a boat of this kind and have only taken forward steer cruisers on the southern rivers, will the height of this one need planning to get under any of the bridges, particularly Reedham and Somerleyton swing bridges?

And I'm always surprised that whilst the websites warn about Wroxham, Potter Heigham and Beccles Old bridges, they don't mention getting into Norwich. Will any of the bridges on that last stretch be difficult? I remember seeing one of Robin's videos where he had to be very careful going under the railway bridge.

Reedham and Somerleyton are unlikely to be any issue at all for Arabella,  there's plenty of room for a standard sedan-style boat without needing the swing bridge to open.  I'm not 100% sure about Norwich but I don't think it's a problem unless the water was unusually high.  You'd need to take care at St Olaves and probably avoid high water but otherwise OK.  Beccles and Thorpe railway bridge would be no go (you might squeeze under Beccles at low water but I wouldn't recommend it),  so more restrictive than a forward drive for those. 

• Like 1

Thanks Simon. 

It's also interesting to see, having gone back to Hoseasons website, that they look to be prepared to hire right up to the end of the year. So anyone fancying a boat in November or December might be in luck. Four nights on Arabella is £645 at that time ... I could be tempted if we hadn't already booked a couple of other things. Maybe next year ... :)

• Like 3

I dont know exactly what Arabella's airdraft is (i have tried to find out online) but with that design I'd have thought there will be times Somerleyton will need to open to pass through.  

Whenever we go into Norwich we always seem to only just get under trowse with a few inches to spare, our boat is 8ft 6! 

• Like 1

It's interesting that mostly when you look at any holiday literature there is only mention made of Wroxham, Potter Heigham and Beccles Old Bridge. Yet as we all know there are many other places where care, and planning, are needed. No-one mentions Wayford Bridge very often but that can be one of the lowest too. 

Perhaps the skippers manuals and brochures should make it clear that you need the pilot for Potter Heigham and Wroxham but that great care must be taken to observe the bridge height gauge on any approach.

• Like 2