Warning! Webasto, Eberspacher, Mikuni Exhaust Systems.

It is possible that there may be some heating system exhaust silencers that are not fully sealed units. We have Mike (Chameleon) to thank for bringing this to our attention after he discovered there may be an issue with the silencers themselves.

There are two options of silencer being offered for marine use. The first is a pressed steel unit with the main body crimped together to form the silencing chamber. This unit is not fully sealed as it is intended for use on the outside of a vehicle like a camper van, lorry, caravan etc where any exhaust gasses escaping through the crimped join are wasted to the atmosphere and not into the living space.

The second unit is a fully sealed marine unit that is designed to be fitted within the hull of a boat where any leaked exhaust gasses would be able to work their way through the boat and possibly into living accomodation. These units prevent that happening.

Mikes contacted Eberspacher direct who advised on the right silencer for the application and explained the difference in detail. They also suggested that, for anyone not sure whether their existing unit is safe, that if you blank off one end with your hand and blow into the other end, the pressed steel one will leak along the seam whereas a fully sealed unit will not.

Of course not all pressed steel ones will leak and different kits come with different rated units but both Mike and myself thought it prudent to make you all aware of the potential problem so that, should you think your silencer needs checking, you have an idea as to what is what. We have at least one to change and that was supplied as part of a full kit from a local marine supplier!

Let us know how you get on folks.

Here is the piccy. The fully sealed marine one is at the top with a generic pressed one below. The pressed one leaks like a sieve! Worth bearing in mind when leaving the heating on overnight!

IMG_0757.thumb.JPG.87013bdf89ae323368682b050cbc984b.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I did bring this to attention "elsewhere", but at the time wasn't a member here. I thought someone who was might have mentioned it over here, as it's a matter of life and death. I also alerted the BSSC office, but got no reply. October 2015, actually.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A quick update.

Had a lengthy chat with BSS technical today. They are already aware of a problem and now, with our info as well they will be contacting Eberspacher  for clarification with a view to putting out a bulletin to the examiners.

He said their problem is that they are unable to assess the unit in place to establish it's suitability but they can look at recommending everyone to change to a recognised unit instead. 

I will keep you posted

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As far as I'm aware, ALL the silencers of the small square design are simply pressed together, and are definitely not gas tight. When doing the "cover one end and blow" test, the one I obtained offered no resistance whatever! Simply exhausted the presssure from every point. If anyone has one of this type fitted, I'd definitely recommend you to change it. If you don't know what type you have - find out ASAP. There are sealed ones available at quite a reasonable price, a price that's worth paying not to suffer the dreadful consequences that may occur. Be safe.

• Like 2

How much did the new one cost Mike? How easy is it to fit? and is it a "DIY jobbie or a pro job?

I accept the "what price your life" point but the questions above still need answering so I know how the boaty budget goes.

I will have to look at Nyx to see what I have, though I've used the heating and I'm not dead yet

9 hours ago, Regulo said:

As far as I'm aware, ALL the silencers of the small square design are simply pressed together, and are definitely not gas tight. When doing the "cover one end and blow" test, the one I obtained offered no resistance whatever!

Astounding!

MM might like to renew the flex armoured exhaust pipe, as per the photo, at the same time.

Don't see why not, it is just a few Jubilee clips. Just ensure that your exhaust (as a heat source) has a good separation from flammable materials.

As you are effectively maintaining an existing installation, it should not be difficult.

If you don't sink by the stern gland, or catch fire, before the spring meet, I'll have a look at it!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2017 at 1:35 AM, JanetAnne said:

IMG_0757.thumb.JPG.87013bdf89ae323368682b050cbc984b.JPG

I just wanted to make a general point, which could be important -

When talking of blown air space heaters there is a big difference between "sealed" as in the crimping of the silencer, and "room sealed" which is an official definition of the installation of the appliance itself.

What we see in the photo is a plain exhaust pipe which does not have the outer sleeve around it, to admit combustion air to the unit, so if this unit does not have a separate air pipe out to a hull vent, then it is not "room sealed" unless it is installed in an air tight compartment which makes it separate from living spaces in the boat and has its own hull vent.

A modern unit will have the outer pipe around the exhaust, going to a special hull fitting which admits intake air as well as evacuating exhaust gases. This outer pipe also prevents the hot exhaust from touching flammable materials in the boat, as well as cooling it with the intake air.

With the single exhaust as above, it is important to make sure it has lagging which is still in good condition and that it is firmly clipped to bulkheads, etc., to prevent it touching anything.

Don't forget that if these heater exhausts can set fire to a wooden quay, they can also set fire to your boat! 

If someone can post a link for one at £30 I will gladly buy them a drinkcheers. The cheapest I've found is £120!!!.. If that's what I have to pay so be it.

The cheap pressed steal one I was told has a small condensate drain hole. 

Colin

6 minutes ago, Islander said:

If someone can post a link for one at £30 I will gladly buy them a drinkcheers. The cheapest I've found is £120!!!.. If that's what I have to pay so be it.

The cheap pressed steal one I was told has a small condensate drain hole. 

Colin

A quick look on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22MM-MARINE-AIRTIGHT-EXHAUST-SILENCER-FOR-EBERSPACHER-WEBASTO-DIESEL-HEATER-/121485767187?hash=item1c491db213:g:RfIAAOSwPe1T5I1N

Paul.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I'm a marine engineer and quite agree that the cheaper,  pressed steel exhaust silencers do leak gases. I seam welded,  (TIG welded), mine and a few others in the marina. As long as all criteria, such as the exhaust must be mounted so that any water ingress will flow downwards and out of the hull, are adhered to, they are perfectly safe after welding. 

Steve Cowham. 

• Thanks 2

First off, a huge TVMOM to both Mike and Dave for bringing this subject to our attention, a potentially lethal situation

Of course I have just had to spend an age going through photo's to make sure we have the marine gas tight version fitted to 'B.A'.  Much to my relief we do indeed have the marine gas tight version fitted.  Its the original Mikuni exhaust system, its wrapped / insulated with a fireproof cloth, all installed by yours truly.  We are now running with a Planar heater unit through the same exhaust

Griff

BA NBN 665.JPG