How Much ??????

Poppy

I wouldnt want to risk 5k on it let alone the 45k they are asking.

I looks like it needs no end of work to modernise it and put everything in order and to me the mooring fee at a grand a year isnt very attractive either.  Im not paying much more than that for a stern to berth with water and electric.....for a boat that moves!!!

But im sure theres someone out there who will want it.

• Like 2

It looks a shed now but in happier times it looks like it would have been a good experience Fred. 

It says in the sales advert its off grid.  Did they have take water over it to and manually fill a tank up each week for the shower to work then

Good grief! 

I suspect the clue might be in the residential status  - it sounds as if this might be difficult/impossible to obtain now. There used to be a real wreck moored there (not this one) , I'm surprised it could even float. Not sure if it's even still there. Another was moored at the Yacht Station for a while. 

I had an idea that as long as they remain en situ they keep the prized residential status regardless of what state they were in but as usual I could well be wrong! 

That's not the remains of the one in my last picture is it Carol? :naughty:

As I suggested earlier I wonder if it's the mooring that's worth the money not whatever junk is parked on it? 

Peter would be the one to tell us. 

Now where's that piggy bank......... :naughty:

My photo was taken in September 2014 Howard, so not sure whether it is the one in your photo or not.

Actually, joking aside, I do think this is rather sad. I had contact from Katrina's owners last year. They had just purchased her and were enthusiastic about restoring her to her former glory. Whatever state she is/was in, she was their pride and joy and they were very excited. For whatever reason, it seems that they are no longer in a position to be able to give her the TLC that they wanted to. I know it's a familiar story where wooden vessels are concerned, but sad none the less.

She was a fine looking houseboat in her day. I think this postcard dates from the 1950s/1960s

katrina_newsons1950s.thumb.jpg.b31cfeec1be8f4b5788232b3dece9889.jpg

Carol

• Like 4

That's a shame Carol. I think when you combine any timber structure with water ( whether it be a boat, houseboat or riverside chalet) sadly you do seem to need a lot of dedication and very deep pockets. Katrina must have given a lot of pleasure to a lot of people over the years. Hopefully someone with the necessary resources may take her on. 

17 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Talking of seagulls it was still very popular with them back in 2014!!!

This second one looks even worse, which was taken a couple of years earlier. I'd be very surprised if this one is  still afloat!

P1130663 2014.JPG

P1050084.JPG

The second desirable residence looks like one of C. B. Darby's  Broadsview  class.

• Like 1

And to put it on a holiday let as suggested in the advert would require a hire boat toll. A fair amount considering the size! Someone withh deep pockets and no brains will buy this! Also peace and tranquility is a big selling point - except on a Thursday evening!!:Stinky:Sailing

1 hour ago, Alone1 said:

And to put it on a holiday let as suggested in the advert would require a hire boat toll. A fair amount considering the size! Someone withh deep pockets and no brains will buy this! Also peace and tranquility is a big selling point - except on a Thursday evening!!:Stinky:Sailing

A hire boat toll for the houseboat plus, I presume, a hire boat toll for the launch required to access the houseboat. It doesn't end there, a mooring will be required for that launch. Also as a hire boat the houseboat will need servicing and cleaning, emptying the toilet for example and there is now no toilet pumpout facilities on Oulton Broad.

About a year ago this house boat was put on E-Bay, it was withdrawn from sale after a day or two, apparently bought as a 'buy it now deal'. I can only assume that someone bought it in a rush & without sufficient thought.hence she's up for sale again a year later.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2017 at 5:09 PM, dnks34 said:

It looks a shed now but in happier times it looks like it would have been a good experience Fred. 

It says in the sales advert its off grid.  Did they have take water over it to and manually fill a tank up each week for the shower to work then

Ah, such memories.

Both Katrina and Miranda were part of Saturday turn round. We used to take up and pump about 250 gallons of water into the rooftop tanks. They had thunderbox loo's (probably still have) so while the water was being pumped one way the waste was being pumped the other. Separate tanks and pumps before you ask. :D

Most of the lighting, heating and cooking was propane based so a couple of gas bottles changed and fresh batteries for the pumps as well. We also had to take the cleaners up to do their bit.

The hirers loved the houseboat s, they always let well and many came back year on year. They had a weeks boating with the launch, were afloat and their car was nearby when needed. 

We seriously considered buying Katrina last time she was up for sale (£25K) a few years ago but didn't go ahead. She is too rich for us now!

• Like 4

Wise words, Howard. She may well sell again in similar circumstances but I rather fear that the present owners will have to take a hit on this one. It's a harsh reality but there is no possibility of mains services to this houseboat, mains electricity at least would be seen as a must have on a static houseboat in this day and age, There is no nearby carpark, no guaranteed mooring for the tender/launch that provides access. There are people who would relish a return to basics but they are few and far between and don't tend to have £45,000.00 to spare. 

• Like 2