Displaying My Member Logo

Meg

Hi

We two grey haired ladies are hiring a Barnes property from 6th.It comes with a free day boat! Would it be presumptuous to stick (temporarily fix) my logo to such a modest craft? I hope you regulars have got the weather sorted out?

• Like 5

We have a day boat for a week this time. We have the new Barnes Encore for two weeks in September. We love their Omega but also love the Ant and Ludham bridge was a problem a couple of times last year. Excellent chap at the bridge boat yard though, think he is called George, he was prepared to help us through if needed (we managed it).

• Like 4

Meg, I would love to have been able to have ‘had a word with him upstairs’ and ensure your holiday has fine weather – I trust you will proudly display your logo come rain or shine in your day boat, but let me explain why I can’t really help with the weather. 

You see I am from London and as such we get a bit of a hard time from our northern cousins saying we are ‘soft’, ‘southern’ and then a word follows explaining we are a person born of parents not married to each other. But you know, I like the fine weather and an easier life without too much hard graft.  

Now I am telling you all this Meg because I have a problem making contact with the big man upstairs. I went to my local church a couple of months back to make an enquiry of him, and there at the end of the Naive was this ‘hot line’ (it is actually just an old BT phone spray painted gold to try and fit in with the decor of the church).  Next to the phone was a sign saying ‘£10,000 per call’.  

I was shocked at this and as I stood there the Priest, who was strolling by, stopped and asked if he could help.  I asked why it was so much to use the phone. The priest replied that it was a direct line to heaven and that for £10,000 you could talk to God so it was pretty good value.  Good value or not, I had not got £10,000 to spend and left the church annoyed. 

Last month I am up in Norwich – this was when I was last on the Broads and setting about filming my Blogs - and I thought before I head back home I’d pop into the Cathedral. It is after all huge and they have a lot more money than my local church so maybe if they have the phone the call costs would be cheaper. Once again I found the same golden telephone with the same £10,000 per call cost! 

I thought that rather than start travelling about and wasting my time to do a little research to see if I could find a church that had the phone at a cheaper price. I made some calls to other churches around the country from Blackburn, Darwen, Burnley, even Rochdale and Littleborough. Do you know Meg, they all told me the same thing “£10,000 per call to God”. Amazing I thought who has this sort of money to spend on a call. 

Cutting a long story short, last night I was on the phone to Charlie, he is one of the co-owners of Broad Ambition which is a boat I also part own and we were talking about the various works we had carried out on her this year and how she is really looking fine.  I thought I’d digress and ask if he had heard of this phone in churches where you could call God and how it cost £10,000 per call. 

Well do you know what he explained that he did indeed know of this phone but could not believe the call cost of £10,000!  I agreed, I explained it was not just that I was a soft, southern illegitimate child living in London that it was so expensive; it was the same in Norfolk and Lancashire too. 

Well, Charlie said to me, in our local church we have the phone and it only costs a few pence per call. I was dumfounded! Why the hell is it so cheap in your church then? And do you know he said

“Well, that’s because it is in Yorkshire Robin, it's just a local call”. 

So if you want fine weather on your holiday you better get someone in God’s Country to arrange it for you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Behave Stuart :norty: Honestly, this coming from a Police Officer, you'll be telling us the size of your truncheon next :naughty:

Grace

The baton is a PR24, read into that what you may!!!! It has now been replaced with an extendable baton!!!!!

I however still think the Policeman's best weapon is his common sense and his voice, talking to and with people is our best tool.

Gracie you are one in a million....:RiverPolice

Capture.JPG

• Like 4

Just now, Wildfuzz said:

The baton is a PR24, read into that what you may!!!! It has now been replaced with an extendable baton!!!!!

I however still think the Policeman's best weapon is his common sense and his voice, talking to and with people is our best tool.

Gracie you are one in a million....:RiverPolice

Capture.JPG

Only a policeman could have one that shape!!

• Like 4

Hello Robin

You and I actually met once and only when I watched the blog did I realise that earlier on  your boat had been afire! No wonder my joke about tin openers fell flat. I see my title has caused comment, sorry not got that sort of mind. One of my best friends is a lady Vicar, I am sure she gets a discounted call charge. Happy sailing.

• Like 1

Hi Robin

What a memory! I did rather hang around hoping to catch you on your return. As you say once you have the boating bug nothing puts you off. We made friends when on the broads at Gays Staithe and they come all the way up from near Southampton each year. Your advice on the blog to get out and enjoy life is so important, I wish I had known I loved boats years ago. I suppose it might be in the blood as great grandfather was a Brixham fisherman.

Keep the blogs coming please

• Like 2

"Gracie you are one in a million"...........Yep, that's exactly what im indoors says, one of me is quite enough apparently, honestly, I can't think why lol :facepalm:

Meg, so sorry for going off topic, we don't normally do that sort of thing on here :naughty:

Grace

• Like 4