Jabsco Compact Toilet......disposal

dnks34

I have just taken my old Jabsco Compact Manual toilet minus the seat to my local council recycling site in Lowestoft to dispose of it.

They have just tried to charge me £2.50 for the privelage!! What upon what on earth is going on in this country?

I have just been reading online and apparently the can now charge up to £3 per unit to dispose of plasterboard, rubble, hardcore, ceramics, baths, sheet glass amongst some other things.  They are calling 1 unit about the size of a large bucket but an assessment will be made on site. 

A quick google brought up another council in another area who have had to stop charging for disposal of any "household" waste at the tips as funnily enough, Its illegal. 

Now I know techinically my toilet isnt household waste but come on.......

Anyone doing any diy and thinking they can dispose of their old bathroom suite for free at the tip, might not be the case anymore. 

Maybe burying this kind of stuff requires a deeper hole?

Anyway, my toilet has now been broken down into component parts and is in my black bin. 

Stupid Waveney District Council. 

If you have any large metal items, obviously they still take that for free......

• Like 1

I think under certain circumstances your old w.c. could be deemed household waste. When my late brother-in-law  developed heart failure during the period he was waiting to  have a stair lift fitted we lent him our redundant porta potti,  If we had subsequently taken this to the tip I would not have expected to have been charged for it's disposal.

Carole

• Like 1

The problem with the spare wheel may have been the tyre (if it had one on)  I think Im right in saying they will take tyres but have always charged to take them.  

This new scale of charges was implemented by many councils across the country and some continue to make the charges even though central government has advised them its illegal.  

Its as though they will charge to take any waste that is of no monetary value to them, and this charging for green waste is wrong as they are selling that on for biogas I believe, possibly being paid twice? 

Or maybe its my cynical way of looking at it!

Sorry Dnks, I have no idea what make it is. All I can say is that the opening to the tank is like a section of a sphere, you can see into the holding tank when it's open. Does that help?

Ray, I've never paid that much for one before !! (but then again, I don't live in Basildon)

16 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Dnks, I have no idea what make it is. All I can say is that the opening to the tank is like a section of a sphere, you can see into the holding tank when it's open. Does that help?

Ray, I've never paid that much for one before !! (but then again, I don't live in Basildon)

Hi John,

That sounds like a dump through toilet (the holding tank is pumped out as normal) they have a sliding rubber seal, they were used on some of the early narrow boats we hired.

There is one for sale on Ebay but they want £100 for it.

Regards

Alan

Thats a shame its not the right one Maurice, the bowl from it would definately have been reusable.

I am not a fan of the compact bowls at all so I have swapped it out for a new regular sized Jabsco Manual, its so comfortable I may well swap the other one in the not to distant future! 

I've fitted a normal house hold full size toilet in the front heads (heaven), but had to use a compact electric in the rear or you'd need a stepladder to get on it! It sits on top of the holding tank, as did the original, same as Maurice Mynah's - a straight dump into the tank. The point being, it might not be practical to use a full size bowl in many situations on boats - especially ones designed and built for dump-through bowls.

Ive not had the pleasure of experiencing a dump through toilet up to now but I know the type you mean! 

I was tempted to buy an electric Jabsco liteflush but I wasnt sure how well our battery bank would cope with it so decided against for now.

1 hour ago, dnks34 said:

Ive not had the pleasure of experiencing a dump through toilet up to now but I know the type you mean! 

Pleasure is not a word associated with dump through toilets!

1 hour ago, dnks34 said:

was tempted to buy an electric Jabsco liteflush but I wasnt sure how well our battery bank would cope with it so decided against for now.

I'm probably under-capacity on the battery front, having just 2 x 110Ah domestics, but I'm sure the few moments of pumping/macerating can be comfortably coped with by my installation.

• Like 1