A Plea To Private Boat Owners

Calderdesigns

One of the shops we always used to use was the Post Office and general store at Somerleyton. Over the last 2/3 years it has changed completely and no longer sells the useful food and others items so needed by boaters, not even newspapers now. Apparently all the locals have their newspapers delivered so not needed in the store. Times have changed.

I was chatting to the guy in the Womack shop a few weeks ago about papers, milk, bread etc. It is difficult for them to stock those items as they found so much was going to waste and that I can understand. The trouble is that once private boaters know what a shop stocks and what it doesn't, they will make sure to buy what they need when/where they can. 

• Like 1

I would have thought that generalizing as one does, that boaters of all people should have not would have ( there's that perception thing again) learned not to judge a book by its cover or the dirtiness of it nor the pile of stinking rubbish discarded by the side of it . Some of that says volumes for someone's hygiene and community awareness but not much about them as people we might perhaps meet in the street. The pervading odour of sweat mixed with diesel and rotting veg may give a hint though. Living aboard a boat doesn't indicate that any of the mentioned stereotypes applies to anyone. That tends to be in my own experience a judgement made with visual and olfactory input. 

There are are societal norms which we may disagree with . Nobody should be judged on that fact alone far more important is how that rebellion (if that's what it is) is manifested in every day life. 

• Like 2

I must confess to my shame I seem to have overlooked this thread, probably because it was titled private boaters but I guess the same applies to all really.

I must say that I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed by the OP.

Certainly as far as drinks are concerned we use 99% local pubs. Never have any alcohol on the boat (well possibly the odd bottle of Humpty Dumpty) :-)  . We use local shops as far as possible, don’t bring food with us and use local taxis too – mainly Wendy at Horning Cars and Our Hire at Acle.

I can appreciate some have concerns about prices in some establishments. Certainly up here in the land of the flat caps and ferrets everything is generally a bit cheaper. But I take the view if I’m on holiday I’m not going to worry about beer or other things costing a little bit more – the Norfolk Broads experience is priceless! (IMHO of course) cheersbar

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I must confess to my shame I seem to have overlooked this thread, probably because it was titled private boaters but I guess the same applies to all really.

I must say that I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed by the OP.

Certainly as far as drinks are concerned we use 99% local pubs. Never have any alcohol on the boat (well possibly the odd bottle of Humpty Dumpty) :-)  . We use local shops as far as possible, don’t bring food with us and use local taxis too – mainly Wendy at Horning Cars and Our Hire at Acle.

I can appreciate some have concerns about prices in some establishments. Certainly up here in the land of the flat caps and ferrets everything is generally a bit cheaper. But I take the view if I’m on holiday I’m not going to worry about beer or other things costing a little bit more – the Norfolk Broads experience is priceless! (IMHO of course) cheersbar

Oh.......have you got the number for the Acle taxi company you use?

Will be very useful when going to Pedro's or the Acle Bridge Inn from our boat at Acle Marina. Rather dodgy when leaving the car when wanting a few drinks and not getting splattered walking back down the road in the dark to the Marina cheers

I used to buy local when the fridges were rubbish but as things have improved i buy at supermarkets. The age old problem of stopping somewhere near a shop can't be guaranteed and a few times we have to fall back on tinned stuff.

6 minutes ago, coolcat said:

Oh.......have you got the number for the Acle taxi company you use?

Will be very useful when going to Pedro's or the Acle Bridge Inn from our boat at Acle Marina. Rather dodgy when leaving the car when wanting a few drinks and not getting splattered walking back down the road in the dark to the Marina cheers

Here you go. We've found them very good but like most Broads taxis they only have a couple of drivers so it's well worth booking early if you can. We've used them many times and been very happy. 

DSC_1050.JPG

• Like 3

Just now, NorfolkNog said:

Here you go. We've found them very good but like most Broads taxis they only have a couple of drivers so it's well worth booking early if you can. We've used them many times and been very happy. 

DSC_1050.JPG

Many Thanks, now stored in my phone .

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Certainly as far as drinks are concerned we use 99% local pubs. Never have any alcohol on the boat (well possibly the odd bottle of Humpty Dumpty) :-)  .

I know for a fact that we will be making the round trip from Lowestoft to Salhouse on occasion to restock the caravan fridge with bottles of Wherry from the Woodforde's Brewery shop ... hubby's favourite. cheersbar

Also let me say that our recent break with Barnes Brinkcraft qualified us for a hamper of local goodies ... the chocolate brownies were amazing as was the fresh bread and real proper butter. :clap

• Like 1

Roys for groceries is our usual shopping, add Horning butchers and the deli for that part of the system, Throwers at Ludham is really excellent as is the Ludham Butchers. Potter = Lathams, their filled rolls are delicious. 

Ranworth = Steve at the Granary & awesome ice creams.

Why wouldn't we use local shops?

• Like 3

Local shops and the one we love to visit is called Ramblers at Thurne. Great little shop and one selling Ice Cream and Sorbet, as I am unable to eat ice cream.

What has happen to the post office / shop at Reedham as it's stock has gone right down? This was once a great little shop :-) .

Regards

Marina :Stinky