A Plea To Private Boat Owners

Calderdesigns

11 hours ago, Calderdesigns said:

Hi everyone. Wishing you a lovely season of boating and if the weather continues like this, we are in for a good one.

Can I just make a little plea - small business like ours spend all winter getting our shops at lovely mooring spots ready for the season. I know you come all armed and ready with your picnics and Pimms (beer & wine etc....I know you lot!), but can you call in to the local shops to have a look around and say hello, and may be buy at least an ice cream to support local businesses? Think of all those lovely places, like Womack and Ranworth. Please remember us!

Look forward to seeing you all soon!

Hi Calder designs. I'm not a boat owner but to be frank I'm struggling with your post for two reasons. Firstly, you imply that self-catering on a boat is somehow wrong. Secondly, perhaps it's just your choice of words, but you seem to be saying we should support local businesses as if theyre some sort of charity case. As a business you have to earn the right to support by offering products the customer wants to buy at a price they're willing to pay - being a local business isn't enough by itself. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

How have you been grouped Ricardo, I dont know anything about you!

By saying this is the problem with continuous cruisers that how , just because someone wants to cruise a lot and live onboard then all of sudden all the overstaying and other incidents seam to land on their doorstep even if they are going about on the right way .

As you might well guess I live onboard and I use the local facilities etc and I do not as don't others deserve to be condemned for the actions of a few , had I been there BA would have been paying a visit today because I would have reported it immediately and if it was out of hrs for BRC then I would have backed that up with an email to a local ranger , I know pretty much all the rangers on the yare and  none of which would turn a blind eye as some have suggested , and if disturbing fowl language is happening then that could well be a public order offence and should have been reported immediately not Tuesday .

16 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

How is it that all those who live afloat always get grouped together with people who break the rules ???? , some of them have no intention at all with complying in anyway yet I and others are grouped together with them , how would anyone on here like to be grouped together with a group that they didn't particularly like just because its easier , its completely unfair to say that all are the same people are judging all those that live afloat on the actions of a minority and that's nothing short of disgusting :norty:

It might come as a massive surprise to you Ricardo, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. You may or not be aware that in April I posted the following...

"Time to mention the "Elephant in the room"

Liveaboards are not the problem, it is peoples perception of liveaboards that causes all the issues and there is a logical (but not good) reason for this.

A number of these people keep their boats clean, in good order and are genuinely a credit to the community. These people are hardly ever mentioned when discussions about livaboards occur. Why not? Because nobody notices them for what they are. Their boats are seen but not recognised as homes, they are thought to be "just another boat on the broads".

Then you get the stereotyped liveaboard. This boat is dirty, covered in rubbish along with the bank beside it. Nobody wants it near them, and it's owner is considered a worthless skiver and probably dishonest too.

I don't remember how the occupants of Thorpe Island were allegedly described by someone in the BA or the council, but I do remember the description being thoroughly offensive. I also know nothing about the people who live on the island nor the general appearance of the site but all parties need to look at the island and see which camp it lies in. Typical or stereotype.

Please please please no one should take offence to the above and remember I am talking about PERCEPTIONS here."

These perceptions are, as I suspect you know only too well Ricardo,  the reason for that grouping you refer to. Yes, it's totally unfair as indeed most "groupings" are. Take Stag parties for example. The few give the many a bad name.

Do I have any suggestions to offer to alleviate this problem? No! I wish the hell I had. Do you??

• Like 5

Just now, MauriceMynah said:

It might come as a massive surprise to you Ricardo, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. You may or not be aware that in April I posted the following...

"Time to mention the "Elephant in the room"

Liveaboards are not the problem, it is peoples perception of liveaboards that causes all the issues and there is a logical (but not good) reason for this.

A number of these people keep their boats clean, in good order and are genuinely a credit to the community. These people are hardly ever mentioned when discussions about livaboards occur. Why not? Because nobody notices them for what they are. Their boats are seen but not recognised as homes, they are thought to be "just another boat on the broads".

Then you get the stereotyped liveaboard. This boat is dirty, covered in rubbish along with the bank beside it. Nobody wants it near them, and it's owner is considered a worthless skiver and probably dishonest too.

I don't remember how the occupants of Thorpe Island were allegedly described by someone in the BA or the council, but I do remember the description being thoroughly offensive. I also know nothing about the people who live on the island nor the general appearance of the site but all parties need to look at the island and see which camp it lies in. Typical or stereotype.

Please please please no one should take offence to the above and remember I am talking about PERCEPTIONS here."

These perceptions are, as I suspect you know only too well Ricardo,  the reason for that grouping you refer to. Yes, it's totally unfair as indeed most "groupings" are. Take Stag parties for example. The few give the many a bad name.

Do I have any suggestions to offer to alleviate this problem? No! I wish the hell I had. Do you??

No it doesn't come as a surprise to be honest you seam a pretty fare person and yes yiu are totally right its down to perception very .such like motorcyclists suffered and still do in some ways , as far as solutions well half the problem is the lack of bite BA have  , BW now C&RT have far more powers to deal with this sort of thing and  they use them , as for stuff on the banks my motto is this if I won't fit on the boat then get rid of it do not take up someone else's land .

As for the words used against the boat owners in Jenner's I'd rather forget about them I remember them well only one was apologised for but basically they should never have been said and they are extremely disgusting remarks.

Ricardo, I see this as a downside of having continuous cruisers.

There are downsides and upsides with everything. 

I dont have an issue with liveaboards and the only thing I can say about constant cruising is the Broads to my mind are not really geared up for it.  If enough people choose it as a lifestyle choice current facilities wont cope, that is all.  

I think you may be a bit oversensitive to my mention of constant cruising (which I had no idea you are) so I dont feel your rant was deserved nor do I feel I have condemned any group as a whole! 

• Like 1

Just now, dnks34 said:

Ricardo, I see this as a downside of having continuous cruisers.

There are downsides and upsides with everything. 

I dont have an issue with liveaboards and the only thing I can say about constant cruising is the Broads to my mind are not really geared up for it.  If enough people choose it as a lifestyle choice current facilities wont cope, that is all.  

I think you may be a bit oversensitive to my mention of constant cruising (which I had no idea you are) so I dont feel your rant was deserved nor do I feel I have condemned any group as a whole! 

Oh I'm not being over sensitive not at all , of cause there is good and bad but some only see the bad , I'm totally at a loss as to the remark the broads aren't geared up for it , as lo g as you act within the rules what is the problem , all the hire boats are technically li e aboard vessels after all and there arnt that many continuous cruisers on the broads and really if they have paid the same as the equivalent private boat that someone has and use's whole on holiday here then why should they not use the facilities after all they spend probably as much and maybe more right here in Norfolk .

Just now, dnks34 said:

If enough people choose it it would put a strain on the moorings we all use when moving around, theres only so many to go round isnt there.   It was not a remark, its my opinion, anyway Im leaving this here. 

Obviously your not thinking that those living afloat will be moving too ! No one group has priority over another to any BA 24 hr mooring . 

3 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

This tread  was first made about supporting local businesses ,now it's turning into something  else.Can we return to that.

Which I think you will find those that live afloat do and in some case's more so than those that live outside the area so its entirely relevant .

This thread went off track as many do look at the instead one for example .

A big supporter of local businesses here...as a private owner I think I do quite a bit of supporting, particularly of the purveyors of lumber, sandpaper, paint, varnish, and more recently marine fridges and cookers. I must admit that I don't frequent many waterside establishments, excepting those on the Rhonde in Wroxham. Over the last couple of years, I've found myself frequenting establishments further inland. But perhaps that will change when I get the boat back in the water.

To be honest I found one of the greatest pleasures in being a very regular visitor to the Broads is being on first name terms with the people that actually live there. 

• Like 5

We never got as far as discussing the price of a battery . and no he didn't look as if he'been anywhere near a shower in at least a decade! I' m sorry you feel people lump you in with people like him because you are a live aboard. We have met some very nice people!e who chose to live on  a boat and I believe we are smart enough to tell the difference between the types

Carole

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

If only that were true.

Quite a lot of the time it is true , yes there are those that block Mooring's that live onboard but exactly the same can be said for other boaters too please don't tell me you have never seen a none live aboard private vessel overstaying .

Tolerance is a great leveller. I wouldn't wish to be filthy nor would I ignore the well being of the boat that serves as my home however who am I to judge those who choose that lifestyle? Coincidently I have chosen to adopt a reasonably open mind when it comes to people and in doing so have met some basically good folk , some of whom are very interesting, just that their attitude to life differs from mine.

• Like 5

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Tolerance is a great leveller. I wouldn't wish to be filthy nor would I ignore the well being of the boat that serves as my home however who am I to judge those who choose that lifestyle? Coincidently I have chosen to adopt a reasonably open mind when it comes to people and in doing so have met some basically good folk , some of whom are very interesting, just that their attitude to life differs from mine.

My thoughts exactly .... well said

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I used to sell them, I had the shop at Burgh St Peter. We sold t-shirts when they were adorned with iron-on felt letters. T-Shirts with a boat's name on was a good little earner. The latest thing back in the 1970's!

Remember your shop well, the kids always used to insist on stopping each time we passed by it. Also the one at Brundall sadly long gone. 

Charlie

• Like 1

Provided local suppliers sell what we are seeking Kate and I always try and use them , sadly many local shops (not just on The Broads) keep a very limited stock.

ten or so years ago we popped into the shop (since gone) at Upton and it was like stepping in to the The Cheese Shop of Monty Python fame 

Milk , no call for it new Tesco sells it , bread , paper tea bags etc etc same answer , we weren't really looking for a birthday card or good housekeeping magazine (last months) .

sadly no shopping done or monies in their till 

• Like 2

We live in Worlingham near to Beccles and so yes we do support the local economy.    We use all of our local shops to stock the boat when we come on holiday.       This was a really well thought out original post from a local business and without local businesses  the Broads would just not be the same.  Take for example  Beccles  , you dont see empty shops or charity after charity shops but little bespoke shops selling everything anyone could wish for.     Probably quite unique now and that is its beauty, around every corner and little alley there are some smashing little shops , bars etc.    Long may it remain so.

Is it me , or is anyone else trying to get their head around the fact that all of a sudden this is about liveaboards.    This is worse than Chinese Whispers.   

• Like 3

I think one of the best examples of a local 'shop' is the garage/service station just past Wayford Bridge. Other than the obvious it stocks gas, paint thinners, masking tape, electrical fuses, paint brushes, maps, magazines, a selection of fresh and frozen food, milk, bread, tea, coffee both instant and ground as well as hot in a cup white with two sugars, bog roll, charcoal, spanners, screwdrivers, chocolate, beer, wine, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, oil cooking and motor...the list is endless.

I call it Arkwright's and I've tended to use it more than I would Tesco in Stalham. If I've ever asked for something and they've not got it...they will have it on my next visit!

Essentials I look for in a local shop include fresh milk, bread, eggs, bacon, sausage, baked beans, dog food (for the Beagle Brothers, not me...I'm looking at you Maurice Mynah), tea, coffee and most important of all Amber Leaf, Rizzla and Swann Slimline Menthol Filter Tips and matches.

• Like 2