Stag & Hen Debate, Again!

JennyMorgan

3 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

The Editor of the EDP needs firing. 

From a company based in Norwich and publishing papers and magazines that purport to support tourism, this is not a shot in the arm but a shot in the foot. It was a monumentally stupid story to run in itself, to put it on the front page yelling "hello Sun, Times, Mail ET AL, look at us" was unforgivable.

There is absolutely no benefit to ANYONE from publishing this story about a very isolated incident; the kind of which happens regularly in many party areas of many city centres. 

The amount of negative publicity this has generated is amazing and the Broads will suffer for it if families are made to believe that it is becoming a no-go area.  

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. 

I applaud the EDP for publishing this story. This particular issue goes far beyond the normal high jinks associated with stag groups on the broads and to my mind it is of no surprise that the national press have gravitated to the story.

These guys were not redistributing garden gnomes in a village on their way back to their boat at night, removing gates, singing bawdy songs in the pub. They were involved in acts of an obscene nature. Discounting the naked swimming bit, bad enough in front of families and young children. But urinating on each other in public, in front of children. Doesn’t get much worse.

It is not the responsibility of the hire company to deal with this type of behaviour but the responsibility of the police and the landlord. The hire company has a duty to inform the hirer that they must behave correctly and to inform them that a failure to conform to this requirement will lead to serious consequences, and to sign a form at the end of the trial run that they have acknowledged that they have understood not only that which they have been informed about the boat, how to handle the boat, but their duty of care and respect to other holiday makers. Also, that there will be repercussions not least of which that their holiday will be terminated forthwith.  

Incidents of this particular nature are few and far between, possibly why it has reached the national press. However I do feel that it is irresponsible to shoot the messenger.

On this particular day it would have only taken a couple of the young fathers present to take exception to the behaviour in front of their young children and confront the perpetrators demanding that they stop their behaviour. From this it could have escalated rapidly into physical violence.

I have seen it happen. It is not very pleasant and can lead to a very serious incident.

Can we not have constructive criticism. A recommendation of a proactive response by the boat yards, publicans and others in authority so that this isolated matter can be dealt with for the benefit of all.     

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kfurbank said:

Hardly the image you want for a National Park! :default_coat:

Indeed it makes a mockery, not of the BA, but the yards promoting the Broads as a NP. They can not have it both ways! It also suggests that the BA is pulling one way whilst the industry is pulling in the other.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Sorry but this really reeks of discrimination to all same sex parties the way its going. Are people so against people enjoying themselves?. Or is this an age related thing to discriminate against all same sex parties. When as WildFuz (Stuart) says all same sex parties are chatted to to pre departure. The minority are im sure dealt with appropriately, If its not kids, its rag n stick, if not them, its fisherman, if not them its all hire boats........ Get a life people live n let live.

Or is it that a fair few people aren't happy themselves unless they have some thing or some one to moan about for the least little thing that doesn't suit them?????????????????

Charlie

Charlie! you mean the ones that sit through a TV program then write in to complain about the swearing and sex,,:2_grimacing: to be honest I see it as a lot of fuss about nothing, and nothing I havn't seen before in my 36 years on the Broads, simple answer is take details, report them to the hire yard, phone the Police or rangers let them deal with it and just get on with life and enjoy your holiday,, 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mowjo said:

Charlie! you mean the ones that sit through a TV program then write in to complain about the swearing and sex,,:2_grimacing: to be honest I see it as a lot of fuss about nothing, and nothing I havn't seen before in my 36 years on the Broads, simple answer is take details, report them to the hire yard, phone the Police or rangers let them deal with it and just get on with life and enjoy your holiday,, 

Playing devils advocate for a while, should you be subjected to obscene or lewd behaviour whilst sat in a pub garden mid afternoon? Now imagine you were with a family gathering and there were young children present, should they be subjected to it? Such behaviour shouldn't be witnessed anywhere, but you probably wouldn't be surprised to encounter it down The Prince of Wales road late at night at the weekend, but then young children are probably, or should be, tucked up in bed by then. However a pub garden next to a river mid afternoon? time and place for everything and all that.

Lot of fuss about nothing? I'm not so sure.

• Like 6

I don't condone in anyway the conduct of the group of lads in this incident but do wonder what the response would be had it been a group of girls poring champagne over a nude bride.

Colin :default_gbxhmm:

• Like 6

Back to the serious, this article in our local EDP makes interesting reading although not related to the Broads:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/center-parcs-elveden-resort-targets-20m-investment-to-attract-3g-families-and-other-new-holidaymakers-1-5107164

Perhaps Center-Parcs has got it right. Mind you, the Broads infrastructure needs attention. Pubs with broken garden furniture, for example, should have no place on the Broads. 

Talking of rowdies on the Thames, I have just remembered another of our boats, which was hired by a party of officer cadets from the Military Academy at Sandhurst, who had been given leave for a long Easter weekend.

It seems they fell out with the lock-keeper at Windsor, who told them they were a lot of worthless * * *  but they did not react, and carried on to have a great time. On the way back, they got their own back on the lock-keeper.

The boat was a bath tub, with a sliding canopy, so they took a straight run up to the lock, put it in neutral and then went and hid in the back cabins. All the lock-keeper saw was a six berth hire boat, apparently being driven into the lock by a naked, inflatable woman!

• Like 5

Inflatable women, ideal onboard companions! Inflate to taste, additional buoyancy when required, spare fend-offs in emergency, don't require feeding, cost nothing in the bar, don't whine, don't demand new shoes, can be deflated when not required, never argue and always allow a man to be right! Absolutely perfect!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Inflatable women, ideal onboard companions! Inflate to taste, additional buoyancy when required, spare fend-offs in emergency, don't require feeding, cost nothing in the bar, don't whine, don't demand new shoes, can be deflated when not required, never argue and always allow a man to be right! Absolutely perfect!!

and Pray what point ARE you trying to get across here......:facepalm:

On 15/07/2017 at 11:00 AM, JennyMorgan said:

Back to the serious, this article in our local EDP makes interesting reading although not related to the Broads:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/center-parcs-elveden-resort-targets-20m-investment-to-attract-3g-families-and-other-new-holidaymakers-1-5107164

Perhaps Center-Parcs has got it right. Mind you, the Broads infrastructure needs attention. Pubs with broken garden furniture, for example, should have no place on the Broads. 

The day centre parks puts itself into the Pontins/Butlins price bracket is the say I stop going there - they're usually fully booked so no need for change!

51 minutes ago, HemsbyPie said:

How come a boat owner & forum user gets caught with firearms & wasting police time (among other things) and it gets swept under the carpet but a bloke on his stag party gets his bum out & everyone loses their minds?! 

I think that says it all Hemsbypie, I hope it wasn't one of our members!.

Charlie

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HemsbyPie said:

How come a boat owner & forum user gets caught with firearms & wasting police time (among other things) and it gets swept under the carpet but a bloke on his stag party gets his bum out & everyone loses their minds?! 

People are now used seeing and hearing about guns , but every stag party is a unique one off . ( or as is more likely they had friends in high places to make it go away . Unlike the stag party )

Wench

• 2 months later...