Where To Eat In Oulton Area

Wildfuzz

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I would say Commodore for young folk who don't want to pile on the pounds. Good food, hughley popular with the locals.

The Wherry for older folk who do, excellent carvery. Does tend to be packed on a Sunday.

The Lady of The Lake, cattle class . . . . . . . 

The Smoke House, just looks unappetising, yet to try it.

The Waveney, on Sundays you need to keep your elbows in, good food but no view of the Broad. 

The Red Herring, trendy, the place to be seen. 

The Broadland Holiday Village, great, if you can find somewhere to sit. Justly popular.

Ivy Farm, superb, lovely place to wander around and enjoy the view. 

Would I be right in assuming you don't have a lot of cooking facilities on board?:1_grinning:

• Like 1

Have been in the Wherry a few times.The last time a few years back.Went for .a drink in the afternoon and booked.Marina can't have to much fat so we booked and requested new potatoes instead of roast potatoes, and a few other things.Thats not a problem.We turned up no new potatoes or other items we had pre ordered in the afternoon.Okay we did get a discount.Was not impressed on the times we were there before.I am not a fan of caverys ,But being in the business I expect good service, needless to say I won't be back

I so agree Katie, one man's meat is another man's poison as my dad always says, the problem is people tend to rave on about a bad pub or meal rather than the good one's.  I remember once when my Aunt (the one who hates boating) came the one and only time on a boating holiday with us, she complained the meal she had just eaten (and completely finished) was awful, when challenged what was awful about it, it turned out she just didn't like it as she had never eaten it before and wanted to try something different, the fact she just didn't like it had nothing to do with the quality, the rest of us had no problems with our food and to top it off it was the Bridge Inn at Acle, anyone has a problem with that place has a screw loose as far as I'm concerned but then to hate boating you gotta be as mad as a hatter anyway :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Have been in the Wherry a few times.The last time a few years back.Went for .a drink in the afternoon and booked.Marina can't have to much fat so we booked and requested new potatoes instead of roast potatoes, and a few other things.Thats not a problem.We turned up no new potatoes or other items we had pre ordered in the afternoon.Okay we did get a discount.Was not impressed on the times we were there before.I am not a fan of caverys ,But being in the business I expect good service, needless to say I won't be back

So it's not just me being picky then. Your opinion is exactly in line with mine. The p!ace is like a third rate cafeteria. I also don't rate carveries. I've seen many a good venue ruined by switching to this format

Carole

10 hours ago, Wyndham said:

Would I be right in assuming you don't have a lot of cooking facilities on board?:1_grinning:

I live there, a mile's walk & I'm really spoilt for choice! Oulton Broad has some very good pubs & eateries

As for cooking facilities I have two single hob gas cookers and a barbecue, more than adequate, doesn't take much to cook a Mars Bar (I jest!)

• Like 1

Back to the Wherry, it is part of the Castle Carveries set-up, a money making machine, a very successful formula and, as far as carveries go, very good, as far as I'm concerned. I like and enjoy their formula, I get what I want at a price that I'm happy to pay in a busy environment that I find appealing. We have three other branded carveries in the area & the Wherry is my favourite, in my view they have got it right & judging by the footfall plenty of other folk agree.  If my wife & I want individual pampering, in a lush surrounding,  then we head to The Ivy. Just a question of choice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I so agree Katie, one man's meat is another man's poison as my dad always says, the problem is people tend to rave on about a bad pub or meal rather than the good one's.  I remember once when my Aunt (the one who hates boating) came the one and only time on a boating holiday with us, she complained the meal she had just eaten (and completely finished) was awful, when challenged what was awful about it, it turned out she just didn't like it as she had never eaten it before and wanted to try something different, the fact she just didn't like it had nothing to do with the quality, the rest of us had no problems with our food and to top it off it was the Bridge Inn at Acle, anyone has a problem with that place has a screw loose as far as I'm concerned but then to hate boating you gotta be as mad as a hatter anyway :default_norty:

Grace

I love boating :default_stinky: but eating out is always a risk, I've made some bad menu choices :facepalm:and looked enviously at what everyone else had and wish I chosen theirs! My favourite meal so far on The Broads was at the White Horse at Neatished, a nostalgic choice of liver and onions and I relished every morsel. 

• Like 2

"I love boating"..........you haven't a screw loose then :default_wink:

That's the trouble with trying something different, I stick to anything with gravy or a good old steak with all the trimmings, can't go wrong with that

My most memorable meal was at The Swan, Horning, it was our wedding anniversary and im indoors went all out and paid for three courses and wine of course, I had boring steak and chips but it was probably the best steak I've ever had and the chips were to die for, chunky, crispy and fluffy inside, I'm salivating at the thought of it

To be honest, I don't think we've ever had a bad meal in a Broadland pub, just lucky maybe or just not that fussed, who knows but I do know I'd much rather have a bad meal at a Broadland pub then a superb one anywhere else lol

Grace

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gracie said:

That's the trouble with trying something different, I stick to anything with gravy or a good old steak with all the trimmings, can't go wrong with that

My most memorable meal was at The Swan, Horning, it was our wedding anniversary and im indoors went all out and paid for three courses and wine of course, I had boring steak and chips but it was probably the best steak I've ever had and the chips were to die for, chunky, crispy and fluffy inside, I'm salivating at the thought of it

To be honest, I don't think we've ever had a bad meal in a Broadland pub, just lucky maybe or just not that fussed, who knows but I do know I'd much rather have a bad meal at a Broadland pub then a superb one anywhere else lol

Grace

Not entirely a screw loose! Almost,  as we took the plunge and bought one! I've made bad menu choices but not really had a bad meal and I agree with your sentiments because  as long as I'm not cooking and on the water I don't really care. :default_beerchug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, deebee29 said:

Trouble is that no matter where you eat or what yo order, you always see someone else's meal being brought out and wish you'd ordered that instead.

Or is that just me? :default_norty:

Me too! Although occasionally I get it right :default_blink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Grace

Hi Grace you may be aware that I am somewhat of a fussy eater so goodbye to the gravy, onions and exotic spices. 

That said most of the Broadland pubs are passable, some are exceptional. 

I always avoid carveries, when I have made the mistake and had one I am always disappointed, none of them match up to what I can prepare at home.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Grace you may be aware that I am somewhat of a fussy eater so goodbye to the gravy, onions and exotic spices. 

That said most of the Broadland pubs are passable, some are exceptional. 

I always avoid carveries, when I have made the mistake and had one I am always disappointed, none of them match up to what I can prepare at home.

Regards

Alan 

I always think it a mistake to judge a restaurant on it's roast dinner, it's never going to compare to  a home cooked one and because it doesn't it's easy to judge the rest of what it offers unfairly.Regarding the"as long as long as it's on the water and not cooking myself"sentiment, I don't mind cooking on the boat- it's the washing up I hate!

Carole

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Alan my lovely, I've known you for three years and very much know you are a fussy eater (like me) but gravy, how can you not like lashings of gravy??? :facepalm:"None of them match up to what I can prepare at home".......That's one of the things I love about you Alan..........your modesty :default_norty:

Carole, I hate the washing up too and the cooking, come to think of it I just hate the kitchen :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, addicted said:

I always think it a mistake to judge a restaurant on it's roast dinner, it's never going to compare to  a home cooked one and because it doesn't it's easy to judge the rest of what it offers unfairly.Regarding the"as long as long as it's on the water and not cooking myself"sentiment, I don't mind cooking on the boat- it's the washing up I hate!

Carole

Hi Carole, 

It is a unwritten law in our house that the cook cooks and the washing up is down to anyone else.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gracie said:

Alan my lovely, I've known you for three years and very much know you are a fussy eater (like me) but gravy, how can you not like lashings of gravy??? :facepalm:"None of them match up to what I can prepare at home".......That's one of the things I love about you Alan..........your modesty :default_norty:

Carole, I hate the washing up too and the cooking, come to think of it I just hate the kitchen :default_norty:

Grace

Hi Grace, 

Last nights dinner for Tan at least was a salmon & rice stir fry (none of that oil), Henderson's relish (a couple of tea spoons) seasoning, two sliced spring onions, small amount of Italian seasoning & parsley, mixed vegetables. The salmon cooked in water with fresh squeezed lime juice.

Salmon & rice added to the vegetables when cooked.

Tan did the washing up.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I like the sound of your house. To be fair Tony always volunteers to do  the washing up when we're on board.But as he does all the practical stuff and all the maintenance Ithink doing all the things catering should fairly fall to me.

Carole

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deebee29 said:

Trouble is that no matter where you eat or what yo order, you always see someone else's meal being brought out and wish you'd ordered that instead.

Or is that just me? :default_norty:

No that's definitely not just you I do that all the time. Lasttime we took our granddaughter out to lunch she went through the menu and got a picture on her phone of all the dishes so that we all knew what to expect ! Very helpful

Caro!e

Just now, Gracie said:

That's what im indoors reckons, Carole, it's only fair that when he cooks I do the dishes, a shared responsibility, the thing I've noticed lately is that when it's my turn to cook he insists we eat out :facepalm:

Grace

Just now, Gracie said:

That's what im indoors reckons, Carole, it's only fair that when he cooks I do the dishes, a shared responsibility, the thing I've noticed lately is that when it's my turn to cook he insists we eat out :facepalm:

Grace

At least that way Grace you will always get a wine course:default_norty:

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Grace

Sounds like you've cracked it Gracie, I could live with that situation!

CarolE

I have had my disher coming up 43 years and still going strong. It has a name as well dont you know, its called dishwasher wench. i also have had the same cook for coming up 43 years yes youve guessed it its called cooking wench....  well they cost a fortune in up keep so they have to keep going dont they....

Charlie

• Like 3

Speaking of the Wherry my recent experience is the food was ok but the public areas are not very clean, sticky tables food soiled floors etc. Fair enough it had been open all day but its very off putting and they need to do more to keep the place sanitary throughout the day.  

Also in the gents toilets by the stairs there is only one cubicle and in an establishment that size its ridiculous!  I know theres more toilets off the big function room but if theres a function on regular customers cant go in. 

Unfortunately the same can be said for the Weatherspoons in Beccles.  Food is of reasonable quality for the price but the place is in dire need of a deep clean.  

I also wasnt that impressed by the Morrisons Cafe in Pakefield this week....maybe Im getting hard to please! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1