Speeding On The Broads

Snowy

Exactly Charlie, "A few minutes" not making a cup of coffee and smoking a cigarette down to the filter minutes!. So your engine is old like us, in good condition therefore not cranky like me although I don't smoke  - gave that up in 1989!  I'm sure if your engine was fumey enough to cause distress to your neighbouring berthholders you would sort it! and that's life!

CarolE

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

Sorry but I was always taught you never cast off a mooring with a cold engine, as a cold engine is more likely to stall. I will carry on doing this no matter who dont like it. The safety of vessel and people aboard is far more important, than upsetting some one with a few minutes of exhaust fumes, easy answer shut your windows and doors. BTW I was taught this when doing my DTI charter boat license, by a WW II sea captain who i both respected and admired for what he did for this country in the second world war. . That was in late 60's nothing has really changed my mind on that over the years.

But then thats a whole different subject to speeding sorry.

Charlie

My engine is a 15 year old Nanni and I've owned the boat for the last 13 years and done around 1000 miles per year every year since I've had the boat. It has never in all that time shown even the hint of a stall. To date it has only ever failed to start once due to a lose wire and that was easily fixed. I feel more than comfortable that for my boat and engine a couple of minutes warm up whilst untying is enough. Engines warm best when under load and I prefer to cast of and tootle along at 1000rpm until the engine has reached at least 60 degrees and then I will if the situation / tides warrant give it some more revs. Works well for me and the people moored around me.

4 hours ago, addicted said:

Carole

45 minutes ago, addicted said:

CarolE

A little off topic, but because I get confused a bit in my old age....

which is it

Carole OR CarolE

lots of love GEoff (or Geoff) I don't know.....

PS I have never broken the speed limit of any car or boat.....

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I think I can guess the boat you mean CarolE. His twin engines are rather loud and very smokey. Sounds a bit like a pub I used to like. :)

Very smokey certainly but not excessively noisy I don't think. They're recent arrivals on the marina and said that a relative who  is an engineer was going to come and service the engines. Oh if only! They're now moored next to a fellow forum member I'm waiting to see if there is a comment on here!

CarolE

4 minutes ago, donnygeoff said:

A little off topic, but because I get confused a bit in my old age....

which is it

Carole OR CarolE

lots of love GEoff (or Geoff) I don't know.....

PS I have never broken the speed limit of any car or boat.....

Well;l Geoff(?) officially it is Carole but Charlie gave me the handle CarolE on account of the E  being a departure from the usual Carol. So  I use the E when I'm posting to Charlie in particular or when I'm being tongue in cheek. Hope that makes sense.

CarolE 

• Like 1

Here we go a bit off the subject and again, I can see both sides of this. 

If I had an old Freeman 22 with a Ford Watermota petrol engine I would certainly want to warm it up, to avoid stalling when I first go into gear, with a Parsons manual gearbox.

I agree it is unlikely to stall a diesel, so long as the cables have been correctly adjusted on the Morse single lever control.

I always like to warm an engine up a bit before I put a load on it (vehicle or boat) as the tolerances in the bearings and the cylinders are designed to be perfect when at working temperature.

On the other hand, on a diesel such as the BMC 1.5 (or even the Nanni) you risk "glazing the bores" if you run it in neutral for too long and this can cause future problems with cold starting.

Charlie, if your BMC 1500 does not smoke when you start it up in neutral, then the injector pump must be set up in the perfect position. Normally they were advanced a bit, to assist with cold starting, in which case they would make a lot of white smoke (un-burnt fuel) until they warmed up. If you retard the pump you get less smoke and better fuel economy, but then maybe they won't start!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Snowy

Please accept my apologies if I upset you, that certainly wasn't my intention, carry on with the banter and make your 50 posts when you will become a full member and have access to such delights as the Jokes Section, some may disagree but the jokes are, shall we say, laughable (and not in a funny way), isn't that right Charlie and Pops? :default_norty:

A very warm welcome aboard from me :default_icon_wave:

Grace

• Like 3

Like many others I have never had a diesel engine stall on me. On change over day I probably started 15 to 18 boats at the mooring. Then some twenty minutes later, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter I would retrieve the boat from the refuelling station and pump out, start it up again and return the boat to its original mooring. Week after week. Over a period of several years on different boat yards. As I said, I never had an engine stall on me.

This was on the upper reaches of the Ant and also on the upper reaches of the Yare at Thorpe St Andrew to be exact.

Now, what would have happened if the boat had stalled, the steering cable broke, the Morse gear jammed. Well not a lot actually. You would throw a rope and someone would pull you back into the bank.

At Reedham, Great Yarmouth, St Olives and the like, in adverse weather conditions I would certainly be a bit more cautious.

It all depends on conditions, time of year, and where you are, the latter being quite important.

As for leaving Southwold harbour on a particularly cold and blustery day in early spring, I was extremely careful and methodically checked everything before venturing out on the bobbing up and down stuff.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, addicted said:

relative who  is an engineer was going to come and service the engines. Oh if only!

May not have made any difference depending on engines, my volvo TMD41's are renowned for smoking on startup, there is no cure, they would have done it from new, unfortunately it is the nature of a lower compression direct injection diesel, the lower powered TMD40's are better as they run a higher compression ratio, any engine with a turbo or supercharger generally runs at lower compression ratio depending on the level of boost given by the turbo.

There's a lot of those engines about in various forms.

Apologies for the somewhat anal reply......:default_blink:

As for warming up unless a seriously cold start I normally undo all springs and just leave short fore/aft lines before firing up the gasbags for my own preservation as much as anyone elses, I'd rather get moving and not have to breathe that crud.

If heading out to sea it's a different matter, I want some heat in the oil before it gets opened up.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Snowy said:

This forum is amazing, you start a topic, don't eat it all, and in the blink of an eye we move onto lion bars and kitkats

maybe the title should have been 'Speeding on the Broads and other things chocolatey for Grace lol 

whatever you say Snowy........

:default_biggrin:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Charlie, if your BMC 1500 does not smoke when you start it up in neutral, then the injector pump must be set up in the perfect position. Normally they were advanced a bit, to assist with cold starting, in which case they would make a lot of white smoke (un-burnt fuel) until they warmed up. If you retard the pump you get less smoke and better fuel economy, but then maybe they won't start!

It uses about 0.5 -0.7L per hour averaged, George at Ludham bridge is amazed at how little she uses.  While she runs like that it will be left alone, foe sure.

Charlie

• Like 1

addicted    1,592 

18 minutes ago, addicted said:

What did I say to qualify for such an exclusive membership?

CarolE

have just discovered/joined this forum and very much enjoying reading all the posts. You all seem so friendly nothing too heavy going on which makes a pleasant change. Would like to endorse the seasons greetings to one and all.

best wishes to everyone,

Carole

maybe it was this back in the day...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Always good to bring an old thread back to life but this seemed the most relevant.

Interesting Broads Beat Twitter post just now:

https://twitter.com/broadsbeat/status/1070323965942472705?s=21

I presume the picture is of the offending vessel.

You will need to click on the link through to twitter to see all of the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Twitter holds no interest for me either, though I hear Trump's illiterate 'twitter' rants are quite entertaining... Don't think that he's ever been done for speeding on the Norfolk Broads though. :12_slight_smile: