Norwich Landmark On The River To Go

Boaters

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Best someone lets Network Rail know that they need to swing Trowse Bridge then. Actually perhaps the navigation authority need to get onto Network Rail and insist they fix it properly.

perhaps they will just sail it down whether the bridge opens of not, maybe the rail bridge needs a nudge to help it open.

Its funny I did wonder how they would get this vessel out when they announced that they were going to stop the bridge swinging, perhaps moving this vessel out first was one of the pre-conditions of that.

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
1 minute ago, Poppy said:

I for one won't be sorry to see it go. Never was a thing of beauty and has become quite scruffy more recently IMHO.

To be honest the Thai floating barge is more scruffy, especially when you pass it on the river. I cannot believe that anyone who has passed it riverside and seen all the fat and grease running down the outside from the poorly maintained extractor would ever eat there.

1 hour ago, KingfishersTime said:

To be honest the Thai floating barge is more scruffy, especially when you pass it on the river. I cannot believe that anyone who has passed it riverside and seen all the fat and grease running down the outside from the poorly maintained extractor would ever eat there.

To be fair, if you inspected any kitchens extract systems ( usually well out of sight, round back or on roof) then you would be eating only fruit for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
6 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

To be fair, if you inspected any kitchens extract systems ( usually well out of sight, round back or on roof) then you would be eating only fruit for a long time.

The point being that this one is very visible and a complete mess!! If it was my business I would be embarrassed and it would be sorted by cleaning on a regular basis. As always when a business owner doesn't care, it makes you wonder what else they don't care about. The average restaurant kitchen is also out of sight, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be clean.

One of the things I like about The Bure Valley Fish Restaurant Horning is you can see straight into the kitchen. Nothing to hide there.

This really doesn't surprise,

https://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/thai-on-the-river--1023725.html

https://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/bure-river-cottage-restaurant-norfolk-221797.html

3 hours ago, grendel said:

perhaps they will just sail it down whether the bridge opens of not, maybe the rail bridge needs a nudge to help it open.

Its funny I did wonder how they would get this vessel out when they announced that they were going to stop the bridge swinging, perhaps moving this vessel out first was one of the pre-conditions of that.

Back and the beginning of the year I was told by one of the sea cadets who works the bar at coldham hall that the ship was leaving Norwich and is apparently due to the condition of the hull being extremely thin in places , does make you wonder that as soon as its left that network rail will push for full closure of the rail bridge .

As for when it actually leaves I can't exactly remember the opening times for the bridge but I'm sure its at night so I would expect it to go no further than whitlingham after transiting the bridge then continue in day light .

Shame really as its brilliant landmark for Norwich , any further information I get I'll relay here but unfortunately Dave is off to Chichester  university in September but I'm pretty sure the local upper yare rangers would give me a heads up since they no doubt will be involved .

3 hours ago, KingfishersTime said:

The point being that this one is very visible and a complete mess!! If it was my business I would be embarrassed and it would be sorted by cleaning on a regular basis. As always when a business owner doesn't care, it makes you wonder what else they don't care about. The average restaurant kitchen is also out of sight, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be clean.

One of the things I like about The Bure Valley Fish Restaurant Horning is you can see straight into the kitchen. Nothing to hide there.

This really doesn't surprise,

https://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/thai-on-the-river--1023725.html

https://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/bure-river-cottage-restaurant-norfolk-221797.html

for sure that dosent make good reading.

I would like to think that if an establishment serving food was in such a poor state , it should be forced to cease trading immediately until all remedial work was put in place.  To say "your hygiene is poor but carry on serving to anyone who enters , including young children", is very worrying.

Read both reports - it was found wanting in January, but improved in July, but yes it's a mess from the river, with faded / missing planks in the cladding.

Back to the Sea Cadets - will be a shame for them to lose a water based facility, but probably cheaper in these cost conscious times, not to mention the (extra) risk assessments necessary on a boat

Oh no another food hygiene diversion in a thread here - the fact is there is a minimum standard that has to be met, they are above that graded 1. But as the scale slides up to 5 so the overall management, understanding and seriously of food hygiene get better.

Some say there should be a simple system as was years past - pass (trade) fail (close until matters are put right) but that never would encourage a business to more than ever meet the bare minimum standard. 

An Environmental Health Officer calculates the score of the business from 25 (very poor) to 0 (perfect) using the Food Law Code of Practice. Scores are then added up from the points scored in each of the three categories (hygiene, structural, and management compliance).

Hygiene looks at how food is prepared, cooked, cooled, reheated, and stored. Structure assesses the cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation, facilities, and management of pests. Management considers how businesses manage and record food safety such as cleaning records and how well staff are trained in food safety and how well they follow the rules.

What is good with this system is handing the decision over to the customer, clearly shown on the front of the business what they hygiene rating is and, much like a star rating for a hotel, shows a clear difference between a 1 and 5 graded businesses so it really does boil down to the overall way the business is run and so in my books, should be taken into account.

Well since the topic has swung towards the restaurant on the river and I was in Norwich I went to see the hygiene rating ,, well I looked and I looked again n then a bit more looking n can't see one anywhere , now I don't know how good or bad the place is but I do have a reasonable understanding of hygiene ratings apart form the fact that I'm not sure if they need to be visible but I know one thing low stars or no stars makes my mind up pretty quickly .

And yes it is a mess from the river but its also falling apart at the rear too .

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
Just now, Ricardo said:

Well since the topic has swung towards the restaurant on the river and I was in Norwich I went to see the hygiene rating ,, well I looked and I looked again n then a bit more looking n can't see one anywhere , now I don't know how good or bad the place is but I do have a reasonable understanding of hygiene ratings apart form the fact that I'm not sure if they need to be visible but I know one thing low stars or no stars makes my mind up pretty quickly .

And yes it is a mess from the river but its also falling apart at the rear too .

That is the one big failing of the rating system in my book. Currently they do not have to show their rating. I wonder how many would try harder if they were forced to display their rating in a prominent place to the left or right of the main door?

Just now, KingfishersTime said:

That is the one big failing of the rating system in my book. Currently they do not have to show their rating. I wonder how many would try harder if they were forced to display their rating in a prominent place to the left or right of the main door?

Well said its high time it required to be made visible , like I said with me nothing visible or low rating means I ain't going in , I'm pretty aware it doesn't show complete picture but it really should have a bearing on the state of play so to speak .

That big grey boat has been there for as long as I can remember . I always imagined it was stuck on the bottom!! , as it looks as though it requires deep water. Obviously not!!

Cool place to have your sea cadet headquarters, but as the saying goes, nowt lasts forever.:default_coat:

• Like 1

Would it be possible to post on here when exactly it's being moved, if it's a weekend I'd love to venture up there to watch it on some of its journey  if that's not possible maybe someone could post pictures or even a drone video as it passes landmarks and bridges 

come on all you budding film makers this could be your big break into Hollywood 

• Thanks 1