Not A Good Place For Engine Failure

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

From HM Coastguard Gorleston

9/9/17. 15:14hrs. Team paged by Humber to reports of a private cruiser with engine failure. The cruiser become stuck on the fast flowing ebbing tide and narrowly missed moored boats. The Gorleston ILB towed the cruiser in, being supported by Broads Beat. The team with staff from the Gt Yarmouth Yacht Station safely moored the cruiser and carried out a welfare check on the persons on board. #90/17.

Spectators video can be viewed here,

Well done to all the crews involved in the rescue.:default_trophy:

Well done to all concerned that had to scare the heck out of that couple , lack of life jackets is a bit of a concern really , thing is it just goes to show how quickly things can go wrong luckily on this occasion there was plenty of rescue boats on hand , well done all .

10 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Well, if you ever wondered - dropping the mud weight overboard will do precious little to hold you in a fast tide like that. You can see one of the rescue boat staff hauling it back in again. 

David

Good point it really rips through there a mud weight would have to be extremely big to stop that boat in that tide , I broke down south of acle a long time back and 2 x 25 kg mud weights wouldn't hold my 33 foot boat , its probably more challenging to rescue a boat at that location in Yarmouth than it is at sea apart from the lack of swell .

That shows another good reason to pick your passage through Yarmouth with care!

I always plan on arriving with the tide already turned so that if there is a problem, as

with engine failure, then you are at least pushed inwards away from the sea. It appears

from that clip that they must have arrived whilst the tide was in full Ebb, judging by

the speed of the outflow.

We ALWAYS wear our life jackets between Acle, St Olaves and Reedham even if not

venturing outside of the boat and they are always to hand at all other times.

I feel for those on board, it must have been truly frightening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The rescue boats were demonstrating man overboard drills in that area on and off for most off the day .The yellow dory had a drop down bow and they were pulling bods from the river in demonstrations ,but not sure who they were ,as I could not see any markings  ? The saying " being in the right place at the right time  " was never truer than on this occasion! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

The yellow boat with the drop down bow looks very much like a rescue boat that we see at major race events at Oulton Broad speedboat races. 

The topic of breaking down private boats on Breydon popped up between myself and a marine engineer the other day. Seemingly he spends quite a lot of his time dealing with water in fuel tanks. The chop on Breydon rocks a boat thus stirring up crud and water in fuel tanks. Apparently it doesn't often happen to hire boats those being better maintained. Seemingly it's down to evaporation in the tank, old fuel and lack of maintenance on private boats. I was told that it's not uncommon for a private boat to have several pints of water in their fuel tanks. No way of knowing if that's the case with this particular boat, but whether it is or not it's worth privateers having their tanks checked. 

Well done to the rescue teams. We were talking to the Coastguards when the alarm went off. Off they went in their four wheel drive, sirens on, that was ear splittingly loud verging on painful.

34 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The yellow boat with the drop down bow looks very much like a rescue boat that we see at major race events at Oulton Broad speedboat races. 

The topic of breaking down private boats on Breydon popped up between myself and a marine engineer the other day. Seemingly he spends quite a lot of his time dealing with water in fuel tanks. The chop on Breydon rocks a boat thus stirring up crud and water in fuel tanks. Apparently it doesn't often happen to hire boats those being better maintained. Seemingly it's down to evaporation in the tank, old fuel and lack of maintenance on private boats. I was told that it's not uncommon for a private boat to have several pints of water in their fuel tanks. No way of knowing if that's the case with this particular boat, but whether it is or not it's worth privateers having their tanks checked. 

Well done to the rescue teams. We were talking to the Coastguards when the alarm went off. Off they went in their four wheel drive, sirens on, that was ear splittingly loud verging on painful.

That's a very good timely reminded ,  not too sure if its down to higher maintainance as the amount of fuel the average hire boat goes through in a season and constant week in week out refilling gives water little time to collect , where as a private boat that's used occasionally and uses one tank a season can be quite susceptible to water and worse still the dreadful diesel bug , filling when the tank is virtually empty is highly likely to disturb deposits on the bottom of the tank and some will inevitably be drawn into the filters .

Its a messy job draining the pre filter but an essential one as is the occasional draining and cleaning of a tank , incidentally I would never put a S/S tank in anymore , with a polypropylene tank you can see both the level and any muck In there , there are various product's that combat the problem most aimed at diesel bug but as long as there's an access panel on the tank ASAP do a product called aqua sock that's inserted Into the tank to soak up the water which lies at the bottom of the tank .

A single drop of water can and does stop a diesel instantly . 

1 hour ago, Jonzo said:

I think to a certain extent the fear of god is put into hirers by the yards who are of course trying to avoid the boats getting damaged.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a guy about his holidays on the Broads and he'd hired North and South and said "one thing I'd never do is go through Yarmouth, sounds much too risky".

I was a bit taken aback by that, but it is a perception people have, I think. Of course I reassured him that it was all fine as long as you keep between the posts and time your crossing right.

I fully agree with you John.

Most hire craft should not have an issue passing through Yarmouth at slack water, most will be height wise well under the bridges on most stages of the tides. At slack water however the risk of being out of control on the river is almost to its minimum.

As you say going across Breydon, just keep between the posts and you will be fine.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1