Changes On Diesel Boats?

Andrewcook

This is the problem with the leccy. The owner of this top range electrical outboard motored from the Waveney River Centre to the Geldeston Locks pub only to find that there was no mains for him to recharge his battery. The following morning he motored for less than a mile when he was only too pleased to accept a tow.

P9241748.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

This is the problem with the leccy. The owner of this top range electrical outboard motored from the Waveney River Centre to the Geldeston Locks pub only to find that there was no mains for him to recharge his battery. The following morning he motored for less than a mile when he was only too pleased to accept a tow.

P9241748.JPG

Wa'ss wrong wi' his sails? :default_norty:

I think electric Broads cruisers are a long way off. I can see someone like Barnes Brinkcraft pioneering it, but battery technology is a little way off yet.

On our syndicate boat, some owners can't even work out that they have to put in the amount of power that they take out of the batteries and that yes the fridge, bilge pump, water pump and lights do count whether they like it or not. They blame everything (the engine, the batteries, the charging circuitry) but not their own lack of experience...

It's that same challenge that electric hire boats will have to contend with.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

It's not me....... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

At that point in the day there was no wind! The day before we, as a group, had a deadline to meet and the meager wind was on the nose so us drascombers, our boats being excellent motor-sailers, resorted to our motors. 

The very reason why I have and love stinkies.......:594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

Don`t sailies come with paddles :default_dunce:

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

At that point in the day there was no wind! The day before we, as a group, had a deadline to meet and the meager wind was on the nose so us drascombers, our boats being excellent motor-sailers, resorted to our motors. 

There was a video, I think on you tube of a Drascombe motoring off a beach through horrible steep breaking surf. A couple of times big waves tried to turn it which would most likely have rolled it but it made it through to the calm beyond. Must try to find it.

One odd thing about the Drascombes is they are built well inland, they were built in the village much of my family comes from Ludgershall, Wiltshire, on a new industrial estate in sight of the school I earlier attended. But they have now moved to Nether Wallop in Hampshire all of 13 miles away and still well inland..

And the original tooling and plugs are in Rochdale. The politics and juggling behind these famous boats is actually quite sad. They have certainly proved themselves David Pyle sailed to Australia, Webb Chiles most of the way round the world, and of coarse the Lugworm Tales and the Greece to uk journey. I am pretty sure that the John Watkinson design had its origin in the NE coast Coble.

3 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Not in this Friday Girl,  they wouldn't,  Peter!

Hols04 051.jpg

A Fisher is it not. Bet Peter can remember them being made at Northshores at Itchenor like me.

Along with the Yarmouth 23 fishers are now made in Ceylon/ Sri Lanka I think.

It WAS the original Freeward/Fisher 30 mould, Chris, which Fisher adapted to their needs.

The Freeward 30 actually sailed better as a sloop than the Fisher 30 as a ketch.

My Mate, whose father lived in Reedham, did a solo to NZ in our sister ship, found himself a wife and continued, via Brundall (2 years fitting out with Captain Jack), round to NZ again.

Their boat was called Kieran and owned by Nigel Phillips, a true Master mariner. We are still in contact with them.

Pics for ecbf 161.jpg

Pics for ecbf 160.jpg

• Like 4

They certainly were really well put together boats. We were interested in a 25 either version but we could not seem to pin the company in the IOW down to even rough costings. I dont think I have seen them exibit at any boat shows. The wood work on a Sri Lankan Yarmouth we saw was very high standard and the pictures of the factory out there were impressive.  We saw a few secondhand ones about but they were getting very long in the tooth. Soon after sea going again was abandoned so we never moved any further then.