Car In The Bure Since 1991

Snowy

Just a quick line from me, the car had been on the river bed for at least ten years, it has shown up on several BA sonar reports but it was only with new technology this year that it was identified as a car, prior to that it was an unknown object but as no hazard to navigation was not investigated further, until positively identified.

I guess the owner is now the insurance company who paid out, whats the betting they do not recover it and it stays a "reef".

S.

• Like 1

Snowy - the only concern, as told by a good friend who is chaplain to the local Master Mariner's Club is 'make certain you know which way the wind is going'. Apparently the paperwork for a scattering at sea is somewhat complicated and don't even think about a coffin job! 

• Haha 1

On 12.11.2017 at 20:18, BroadAmbition said:

Seems the local pond life use ‘this stretch of river to cool down their hot wares.

The term "pond life" reminds me of when I read this book written by a policeman from Cheshire:

PPP.jpg

I read it whilst on Summer holiday some years ago - enthralling to read, some passages sad (=real life); others uproarious.  Had my wife wondering why I was collapsing with laughter.

It was only some years later when I learnt the author's real name that I realised that I sort of knew him - he is the brother of a school friend of my brother...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Dammit, That's my Amazon wish list

Its well worth reading.  Rather cleverly the book starts & ends with the same story - but from different points of view...

16 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

No HEM... Prisoners Prostitutes and property... Those are on my Amazon wish list... books you can keep !!! :)

On my first day in the job at the old Clacton police station, I was told there were three things that would get me in trouble within the constabulary, thankfully I listened to the sergeant.......

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

On my first day in the job at the old Clacton police station, I was told there were three things that would get me in trouble within the constabulary, thankfully I listened to the sergeant.......

Right at the beginning of the book the author writes that he was told in his early days that Prisoners, Property and Prostitutes were the 3 things that could get a policeman into trouble - but I don't think he was in Clacton!

One scene involves recruits visiting the local forensic medicine department.  My daughter works in the toxialogical lab of the forensic medicine department of the major Hamburg university clinic & says that they also have the police recruits visiting.  I suspect they don't play tricks though...

Gone are the days of practical jokes on the new recruits, I have seen officers sent to clean traffic lights. But only the ones that were unlit, they were up and down like Zebedee as they went red, red amber, green......

Poor youngster sent up Clacton pier in the early hours alone to investigate a rabid dog, all dressed in a full bomb suit and helmet whilst the dog handler and K9 partner waited at the end in the shadows, never saw a person move so quick in such a heavy attire when they "popped" up!

And the ever popular cycle proficiency test on an old trade type bike, in full police uniform around the one way system whilst being assed by the Inspector for suitability to pursue on the police bike.

And there was my own initiation.............. Ah,  I will hang onto that one though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Spell checker missed the grammatical error.

assess

verb
past tense: assessed; past participle: assessed
  1. evaluate or estimate the nature, ability, or quality of.
    "the committee must assess the relative importance of the issues"
    synonyms: evaluate, judge, gauge, rate, estimate, appraise, form an opinion of, check out, form an impression of, make up one's mind about, get the measure of, determine, weigh up, analyse;
    informalsize up
    "frequent patrols were made to assess the enemy's strength
  • Like 1