Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Robin is it possible the crane is designed to lower the rib to the stern rather than the port side?

No it is not - well I would prefer not to risk extending the crane jib out that far because you just put more and more load on the crane support system.  It is pretty easy to lower, but time consuming and a little risky as literally one false step and you would be over the side - not too bad if hit water, serious injury if you hit land.

That said, as you will see in time the thing is a rocket ship - Zero to up on plan in about  20 feet lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

I'd like to put that theory to the test someday! Hopefully see you Easter! :default_beerchug:

I'll keep my eye out for you mate, scrumpy all round :default_biggrin:

Sorry Robin derailing your thread again

Absolutely loving this thread, your whole journey, including Facebook updates and YouTube video's 

You are living the dream Robin and for that I applaud you 

Looking forward to the next and many more updates

Yours Newfoundly

Warren, Julie, Gigi and Cooper 

• Like 5

Just had the Invoice for the works that Mount Batten Boathouse carried out - it totals £1,188.97 - What surprised me the most is the Onan Impeller came in at £99.75 (Inc VAT) this is for a Kubota engine, likely around 50HP - but because it is Onan branded Gen-Set you get to pay Onan prices. Preachment's in Brundall next time around!

Invoice.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Just had the Invoice for the works that Mount Batten Boathouse carried out - it totals £1,188.97 - What surprised me the most is the Onan Impeller came in at £99.75 (Inc VAT) this is for a Kubota engine, likely around 50HP - but because it is Onan branded Gen-Set you get to pay Onan prices. Preachment's in Brundall next time around!

Invoice.png

Gulp big gulp,  hurry home to the Broads.

• Haha 1

Being naturally curious Robin i found myself looking at other Traders ( dont you just love you tube ) after watching your Crane issue and started to  wonder if it was a problem and noticed quite a few traders store the tender across the rear of the sun deck side ways rather than front to rear - just a thought ?

Finny 

35 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Invoice.png

Thing is Robin all you need is the part number which is nicely supplied on the invoice ,Kubota and Oran don't make impellers , jabsco and Sherwood etc do that job , and please don't think you will get the best deal at the mentioned brundall emporium as I'll guarantee if you cross the railway line to yiy know where ,  you will get the exact same part for less bucks + you get discount as a forum member . 

Thats exactly how I'm off to get 2x fuel filters+ 1x oil filter as I do very often for the princely sum of less than £10 , had that been the vetus engine in my narrow boat then I'd be looking at around £50 for the same thing and exactly the same rules apply to such as impellers ie shop around .

I don't so much have a 'crane issue' - and the rough seas we encountered during our trials showed that despite the additional weight up top (which may have induced more roll) she handled the conditions very well. There is not room to really have a Williams 285  the sim platform and still have easy access to the 'sea stairs' since you would be stepping over one of the inflatable tubes -  also like the fact while many Sunliner's have a crane, none are as beefy as mine and while electric they are not fully electric (you have to manually move the arm around) only the jib and load line are operated electrically.

Now if it did not have this I would not be wanting to go buy such - indeed I did not originally think the RIB would be part of the deal, as was not included in the draft sales agreement, but the owner decided to include it after all and so since it is there I will keep it and keep it up top certainly make a great little run about to tow behind Broad Ambition during our Lads Week and being small the tolls would be reasonable too lol.

I agree with the shopping around - I had tried to but these engines are not well known over here, I found French Marine Motors (Yanmar agents) could do some but not all the parts, I then struggled online to find them so thought hmm let me go to the yard who supplied them before I will then get the set of spares I need, all the part numbers and do it that way - things like the Impeller had to come in from Japan and only arrived today at the Marina Office. My understanding is you cannot get third party Impellers for the 6CXMGTE-2 engines which I have and only Yanmar ones fit (that does seem a bit hard to believe mind you).

I am happy to go third party on the generator, but will keep to original Yanmar items for the main engines. Prospective buyers like to see invoices full of original equipment parts so it helps to do as the last two owners did and keep it that way.

12 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I don't so much have a 'crane issue' - and the rough seas we encountered during our trials showed that despite the additional weight up top (which may have induced more roll) she handled the conditions very well. There is not room to really have a Williams 285  the sim platform and still have easy access to the 'sea stairs' since you would be stepping over one of the inflatable tubes -  also like the fact while many Sunliner's have a crane, none are as beefy as mine and while electric they are not fully electric (you have to manually move the arm around) only the jib and load line are operated electrically.

Now if it did not have this I would not be wanting to go buy such - indeed I did not originally think the RIB would be part of the deal, as was not included in the draft sales agreement, but the owner decided to include it after all and so since it is there I will keep it and keep it up top certainly make a great little run about to tow behind Broad Ambition during our Lads Week and being small the tolls would be reasonable too lol.

if i was wearing your shoes i could see myself using the Rib more than the Trader whilst in Norfolk ..............could even be tempted to buy a Wake board just to please the Arm chairs 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

You can also use it to get TO BA :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I agree with the shopping around - I had tried to but these engines are not well known over here, I found French Marine Motors (Yanmar agents) could do some but not all the parts, I then struggled online to find them so thought hmm let me go to the yard who supplied them before I will then get the set of spares I need, all the part numbers and do it that way - things like the Impeller had to come in from Japan and only arrived today at the Marina Office. My understanding is you cannot get third party Impellers for the 6CXMGTE-2 engines which I have and only Yanmar ones fit (that does seem a bit hard to believe mind you).

I am happy to go third party on the generator, but will keep to original Yanmar items for the main engines. Prospective buyers like to see invoices full of original equipment parts so it helps to do as the last two owners did and keep it that way.

There you go a little digging n your gen impeller at ASAP supplies is Sherwood part no 10615k n you save around £67 , same part in a Jabsco format is 18948-0001, thing is these pumps and those on your engines are fitted to other engines and gen sets , while I agree with fitting manufactures parts they don't manufacture them in the first place mostly , however if its that difficult to locate the main engines impellers then you have to bite the bullet though I very much doubt that your the only person in England with those engines in a boat or that they can't be traced in this country , what says yanmar  on the package doesn't mean they made it and highly unlikely they did - Volvo do that trick too .

Robin is it possible the crane is designed to lower the rib to the stern rather than the port side?

Lowering over the Port side is fine as we discovered.  Lowering it over the stern, well two things there, we didn't extend the jib out to it's max, until that trial has been done (With no load on it) Robin won't know if the rib will clear the swim platform.  Also until Robin gets into the instruction manual of the crane, we don't know its max safe working load with the jib extended.  Plus we had an obstacle at the stern of Indy when we did the trial, namely a floating pontoon!

Griff

The next video will be available sometime tomorrow, in the meantime I have tried to find more info on my Crane - not much luck but seem to have a  Davit Series 3010 model . I can find no information on this at all but have emailed the agent based in Plymouth who I am sure supplied the crane to see if they can help either supply a manual or tell me what the load limit is with the Job extended fully. I know the crane can deal with 300Kg to 600Kg (Willaims RIB is 316Kg) but the further out you put that same 316Kg weight the more load is transferred to the crane and its support bracket so I am keen to stay within limits and furthermore know what is what before trying a 'stern deployment'.

I have had three calls today from the heater installation team - they will begin tomorrow with the install and continue next week. They do seem to worry a lot though about things I don't think need quite as much worry e.g. how to drill a 75mm hole in plywood under the sink in the galley - they say it may cause it to look a mess and they are worried about doing it themselves and want to employ a third party contractor (carpenter) I say do as you need nobody would see as you have to kneel down, get your head right in under the sink and then turn it to the left before you would see said issue. Anyway they have assured me it will be sorted come the 1st Feb.To encourage this to be so I have just paid a £2,000 deposit and the rest to be paid on completion of works. They had wanted payment up front because (and I get why) they might install it all, we come down on 1st Feb see it all done and disappear never to be seen again come morning of 2nd and leave them chasing after me for payment - they do not have anything other than my first name and mobile number so we agreed that I would pay a substantial deposit which gives me some room left if the work goes a bit wayward.

1 minute ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Gives all the specs if you download the PDF

3010.png

unfortunately it doesnt show a loading chart, if Robin only has the 300kg version 316kg at full extension might be iffy (but only just) but if he has the uprated 450kg version he will be fine - so it depends if it is the /37 or /41 variant.