Powerfile - Good Tool For Boat Building And Maintenance

DaveRolaves

I have used the black and decker powerfile now for many years for boat building and general maintenance  work. Its a good tool, well made and will last a long time. Its available with broad and narrow belt attachments. It can be bought from E Bay and other places for less than £40

black and decker powerfile.jpg

• Like 1

Had one years - that and the vibrating multi tools ( stop it ! ) are just so adaptable.

Used to use air powered power files in the RAF for metal work - save so much time in skilled hands ( mind you I do remember one lad looking like he was making a relief map of a mountain range out of a panel

• Like 3

I have one used it only once and been in the cupboard ever since. Not that impressed with it. Why Not

Well lets see what it will do and others may well add to the list. Here are just a few things:-

It will sharpen knifes, chisels garden tools. It will derust metal and remove metal burrs after cutting

It will clean up those damaged threads on a bolt so you can spin a nut on to it.

It will smooth off the edge of a wall tile after its been cut.

It will plunge into a wooden door when you fit a mortice lock

It will smooth timber, it will grind away fibre glass, metal and filler. It will grind away that part of the door that sticks in the frame.

It will grind away that screw that protrudes and grind off the head if needed

It will square off a length of copper tube that you have not managed to cut off square with the hacksaw.

It will clean off  anodes before the boat goes back in the water and smooth off a damaged prop

It will enlarge that hole you have cut in the hull for fitting a skin fitting or bowthruster tube

It will grind away that rusted and seized nut that you cannot remove with a spanner.

It will smooth off the edge of a wall tile after its been cut.

It may well do with a ceramic wall tile, doubt it would do the same on a floor grade porcelain tile though.  I use good quality (Expensive) dry/wet diamond blades on porcelain and they don't last for ever either!

It will square off a length of copper tube that you have not managed to cut off square with the hacksaw.

Hacksaw on copper tube?    Never!    I use proper pipe cutters, keeps the ends square with an ever so slight bevel - Perfect

Griff

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveRolaves said:

I have one used it only once and been in the cupboard ever since. Not that impressed with it. Why NOT

It will sharpen knifes, chisels garden tools.

The last thing you need when sharpening chisels is heat and you cannot get a flat edge with such a narrow belt,  I will stick to my oil stone thanks.

Doug.

• Like 1

oil stone for chisels for me too, I really must find my bench grinder though, as I only have a little one with a 2" stone available at the moment, a decent bench grinder is good for straightening up a chisel found at a boot fair where the edge has been mangled.