Televisions For Boats

ExSurveyor

A smaller version could be interesting, cant see many people would need or want a 32" TV on a boat, or caravan

Need? Absolutely not.
Want? Abso bloody lutely
We had a 32” tv in our caravan. It may well end up on a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Crikey! I dont think I could get far enouyh away from a 32" telly in my boat to be able to see all of it:default_blink:

We gave a similar problem in the caravan.  With a small load margin as well we can't afford anything too heavy.  We have an excellent 14" LG.

5 minutes ago, Labrador said:

Why the need for a telly on a boat? Surely going boating is to get away  from it all.

For some,  but not for all.

I spend a lot of time onboard,  I even have Netflix when on the mooring,  easier than carting a load of DVDs around.

Also very handy for the weather reports.

4 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

For some,  but not for all.

I spend a lot of time onboard,  I even have Netflix when on the mooring,  easier than carting a load of DVDs around.

Also very handy for the weather reports.

Same for me.

I use my boat as a base when I'm working up in Norfolk so I wish to be able to use it as a home from home when I'm on board but not actually boating:12_slight_smile:

• Like 1

Some of us actually enjoy watching TV on the boat. It takes your mind off all that awful water, reeds, ducks, fishing etc, and especially the sarky Luddite comments of those (usually locals) who only take their boats out for day trips and go home every evening to watch their 42 inch TVs in plush comfort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

We enjoy having the goggle box set up and running, both for the actual broadcasted programmes but more for watching DVD films and since Robin has advised us and upgraded 'B.A' to a smart LED TV with a blue ray player, things are really cooking now.  Apparently another upgrade coming next year will be better speakers replacing the current wheelhouse ones, then somehow using 'Robin Magic' the tv and or Blue Ray player will utilise these instead of the tv's speakers.  Apparently it is a 32" onboard 'B.A'  it is as big as we could fit in the space provided and a flat screen and can be viewed from any angle perfectly.  Yes we like it!

Griff

Edit - A pint from me to you (Or a fruit based drink for the ladies) if you can identify the film showing.  Only to the first correct answer though!

BA NBN 372.JPG

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

We enjoy having the goggle box set up and running, both for the actual broadcasted programmes but more for watching DVD films and since Robin has advised us and upgraded 'B.A' to a smart LED TV with a blue ray player, things are really cooking now.  Apparently another upgrade coming next year will be better speakers replacing the current wheelhouse ones, then somehow using 'Robin Magic' the tv and or Blue Ray player will utilise these instead of the tv's speakers.  Apparently it is a 32" onboard 'B.A'  it is as big as we could fit in the space provided and a flat screen and can be viewed from any angle perfectly.  Yes we like it!

Griff

Edit - A pint from me to you (Or a fruit based drink for the ladies) if you can identify the film showing.  Only to the first correct answer though!

BA NBN 372.JPG

Is it not the hunger games?

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

BA NBN 372.JPG

Ahhhhhh now I see why you had to to go astern through Wroxham Bridge......the bloody tele was in the way ....:default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Is that an invite Griff :default_biggrin:

Here's a question back to you seeing as I believe you are ex RN. Is the gin pennant actually 'a thing' or just made up internet rubbish?

And I mean a proper international thing not a local made up idea.

Jay

Is that an invite Griff :default_biggrin:

But of course

Here's a question back to you seeing as I believe you are ex RN.  Correct 1976 - 2000.    Is the gin pennant actually 'a thing' or just made up internet rubbish?  And I mean a proper international thing not a local made up idea.

The actual flag (Pennant) is a 'Stbd' pennant, that is green / white / green sections with the middle section being white.  When flown from a ships Stbd yardarm within RN speak it denotes 'Senior officer afloat' so if a group of RN ships were alongside in the same location, the ship with the Stbd pennant flying denotes that ship as having the most senior officer onboard among all the ships gathered.

Gin Pennant - It was not a 'Proper' denoted flag available from Naval Stores, that is to say it is not in the actual books of signalling as being a proper 'Bona Fide' flag.  However it was officially recognised within the RN.   The other armed forces services also recognised and understood it.

Take a standard 'Stbd Pennant' the shape of a champagne glass cut out of black material stitched onto the middle white section of the flag, thereby turning it into the recognised 'Gin Pennant'  When flown from the mast means 'Open invite to all messdecks onboard including the wardroom.  It is raised to half mast 30 mins before 'Open Ship' then hoisted close up during the event, then 30 mins before 'Closing Ship' it it lowered to half mast, then down altogether when the ship is closed. A Gin Pennant is only flown when a ship is alongside, never whilst underway

Onboard 'B.A' I have a genuine 'Gin Pennant' that I 'Borrowed' from HMS Glasgow D88 when I left her in November 1979 - which is really to big for 'B.A'. (It was made by a very young, extremely good looking sailor that originates from Gods Country).   We have a smaller printed one onboard that is a more suitable size.  I have flown it from 'B.A's mast before now on a few occasions, sometimes it is recognised and we get perfect strangers onboard for a drink.  Other times no one has taken up the offer.  It is rarely flown during our infamous Lads Week as:-    1)  Some smart Alec will know what it denotes on each boat and         2) The bar bill would be tremendous!  However my Late Dad (Known as The Admiral) once did fly it whilst underway on a Lads week (3 x Broom Admirals) approaching Barton Broad - The consequences were epic and the tale is retold many times - Over a drink of course. :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 2
  • Haha 1