The Ship - South Walsham

NorfolkNog

I had the great pleasure of calling into the Ship today and have to say I was very impressed. 

Excellent choice of beer with Green Jack Golden Best as a regular and two rotating guests mainly from small independent Breweries. 

The beer was very impressive, there is a real commitment to quality. 

Service was very friendly and helpful. 

I didn't try the grub but quite a few were eating and obviously enjoying thir meals. 

The pub still retains two rooms, a lounge cum restaurant and a bar where food is also served. 

There is a bar billiards table too, nice to see this traditional pub game making a comeback. 

The pub is dog friendly and listed in the Good Beer Guide 

I find it easier to walk from Ranworth, takes about 20 minutes. 

In my humble opinion this is one of the best pubs on the Broads, well worth the effort of visiting. 

DSC_3377.JPG

DSC_3378.JPG

DSC_3384.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I agree with all you comments Howard. The fish and chips I had was very good. A hug + in my book proper home made Tatar sauce, this defines an establishment to me going that extra step.

Whilst being mostly very good under the previous regime this return to a village pub in my view is great. I hope it works for them I really do.

• Like 1

I agree with all you comments Howard. The fish and chips I had was very good. A hug + in my book proper home made Tatar sauce, this defines an establishment to me going that extra step.

Whilst being mostly very good under the previous regime this return to a village pub in my view is great. I hope it works for them I really do.

A very rare photo of me circa 1982 soon after taking over the Ship.

img193.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Right, that's on our list of places to re-visit. We're fed up with pubs trying to be what a) they're not and b) the average Joe doesn't want. We visited a certain place on Friday that, while clean, was neither welcoming nor warm. All hard surfaces and cold. Won't be back.

• Like 1

Got to agree with you there Ray! 

Hi Barry

I bet it was good when you ran it too! It's such a shame I missed you during that time :default_crying1animated:

But yes, customer care, attention to detail superb beer. It's not hard to grasp but it's amazing how many pubs do not! It really was the best beer I've had so far outside Norwich. I sure they'll do very well. 

Great feedback, will put it on the list to visit. Not sure it's all that easy to get to by boat though. There is no public mooring at South Walsham (as far as I know) and it would a goodish walk from Malthouse/Ranworth.

Will have to make the effort to go by car (with driver of course:9_innocent:)

• Like 1

Hi BB 

Great pub, well worth the effort. I wouldn't recommend mooring/walking from South Walsham it's quicker and easier from Ranworth. It takes me 20 minutes and is a very pleasant walk. 

Yes, don't drive! The beer is so good you'll definitely want another! A cab might be an option. 

• Like 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

From memory the route from Fleet Dyke involves a footpath across a field which can get very muddy, on the other hand the road route from Ranworth involves a few sharp bends and occasionally fast cars. Have done this walk of a night time, but always with torch and hi viz and caution is needed. My preference is to do it from Ranworth where at least you can have a night cap in The Maltsters on your return.

The Ship was the first pub I found on my first visit to The Broads back in 2001. Hired a boat from Acle, first stop fleet dyke and a very soggy mooring and then the walk to the pub. Remember thinking I hope there are a few pubs closer than this at our next stops.:default_beerchug: