Road Closure Riverside Estate

Jbx5

Thanks, I had forgotton about this, I am going to miss the manual crossing and the semaphore signals :default_crying1animated:  I like railways almost as much, no wait more, ok about the same as I do boats.

I was hoping that they would not go forward with this course of action, Station Road is very busy, boat transporters have grounded on the crossing and there i over 90 trains a day that go through the crossing, it is going to be an accident in the waiting going to an automatic crossing as well as putting at least 3 if not 4 people out of work.:default_sad:

Regards

Alan

• Sad 3

I had always presumed that is was still manual because of the safety aspect, but it turns out is was just because the line was still being operated the Victorian way. I hope they at least put full width barriers that cant be ducked under once down.

I will be at the boat tomorrow, and will stay over and so will be 'trapped' at Riverside overnight, it will be interesting to see what they manage to do in one night, not the whole job thats for sure, the full programme of works for the line runs until Spring next year and the footbridge is staying as far as I know

edit: just found this:

brundall.jpg

10 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

t is going to be an accident in the waiting going to an automatic crossing as well as putting at least 3 if not 4 people out of work.:default_sad:

In one night they will not get barriers installed and working automatically, thats a dead cert. Unless the whole line has already been electrified signaling wise. It was still semaphore signaling when I was last there. At that time the gates were in an appalling state, so instead of renewing the wooden gates lifting barriers are likely just to replace the gates, interlocked with the old ground frame there just as the old wooden gates were. Also operated by the same staff in the same same way except they will no longer have to go out in all weathers to walk the gates across the road.

Regards

Charlie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

The footbridge is probably a listed building, like the one at Whitlingham.

Neither of which have been painted or looked after with the exception of new stair treads on the one at whitlingham since the year dot ! 

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

In one night they will not get barriers installed and working automatically, thats a dead cert. Unless the whole line has already been electrified signaling wise. It was still semaphore signaling when I was last there. At that time the gates were in an appalling state, so instead of renewing the wooden gates lifting barriers are likely just to replace the gates, interlocked with the old ground frame there just as the old wooden gates were. Also operated by the same staff in the same same way except they will no longer have to go out in all weathers to walk the gates across the road.

Regards

Charlie

That's exactly what they've done at Harling Road, just down the road from us on the way to the St George's Distillery!   :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

The crossing keepers and signalman will keep their jobs for another year or so. Once the work is completed in 2019 and the new signalling commissioned everything is going to be controlled from a remote site via cctv

2 hours ago, 40something said:

Once the work is completed in 2019 and the new signalling commissioned everything is going to be controlled from a remote site via cctv

Thats quite wishful thinking unless all the cabling and locations, and track circuits are in place now. As from what I have seen at Brundall the semaphore signals are not even motorised, let alone showing on a diagram in even a local box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

Thats quite wishful thinking unless all the cabling and locations, and track circuits are in place now. As from what I have seen at Brundall the semaphore signals are not even motorised, let alone showing on a diagram in even a local box.

Its a £68m project in total. Currently March 2019 is the target date to have the new system operational, the date will undoubtedly slip though and Rail enthusiasts like myself can continue to enjoy the Victorian signalling for a while longer.  

Full details here: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/anglia/norwich-yarmouth-lowestoft-re-signalling/

3 hours ago, 40something said:

These are the new trains for the line, being phased in from late next year

They are bi-mode , so can run on either electrified or non electrified routes

bimode.jpg

I'm sure they can't be introducing these to east Anglia, they aren't 50 years old. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 40something said:

So its all going to be added to the Colchester Power box is it, thats a lot of cabling needed to be installed, tested and commissioned before the end of next year then. Time will tell on that of course.