Farewell Brooms

JawsOrca

I suspect the fuel station and pump out will stay. Especially if they have hire boats. 

I can see it just being a marina and repair centre. Less cost, regular income. Hence the ditching of the boat sales  

dont forget NYA have a pump out and fuel station, but not sure if hire boats can use that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

I suspect the fuel station and pump out will stay. Especially if they have hire boats. 

I can see it just being a marina and repair centre. Less cost, regular income. Hence the ditching of the boat sales  

dont forget NYA have a pump out and fuel station, but not sure if hire boats can use that. 

From what iv been told today both fuel and pump our stations are safe ,what isnt safe is boat building jobs .

3 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Do Barnes, NBD or  Richardsons build there own from "scratch" or fit out shells molded elsewhere, or indeed buy them ready to hire?

All three of these companies have their own mould tools and build their own designs. Since the loss of Alpha, this has been the only real option as the availability of shells for fitout was mostly limited to Alpha in the end. 

In recent times though, Richardsons have invested massively in new designs which are exclusive to them. Barnes bought the Aquafibre Diamond tooling and made their own modifications to it which became Serenade and more recently, Barnes also bought all the old Aquafibre tooling too. 

NBD has its own tools and will also fit out other mouldings and Herbert Woods has been busy with the smaller cruisers which became their Starlight fleet. 

Ferry Marina has a number of it's own, exclusive designs too. 

It's only the small yards (like myself) that have no real tooling to make exclusive cruiser designs (though I have our Pod open day boat. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

All three of these companies have their own mould tools and build their own designs. Since the loss of Alpha, this has been the only real option as the availability of shells for fitout was mostly limited to Alpha in the end. 

In recent times though, Richardsons have invested massively in new designs which are exclusive to them. Barnes bought the Aquafibre Diamond tooling and made their own modifications to it which became Serenade and more recently, Barnes also bought all the old Aquafibre tooling too. 

NBD has its own tools and will also fit out other mouldings and Herbert Woods has been busy with the smaller cruisers which became their Starlight fleet. 

It's only the small yards (like myself) that have no real tooling to make exclusive cruiser designs (though I have our Pod open day boat. 

15 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Thanks, so none of the "big 3" buy ready to hire and Ferry who I had not considered have their own exclusive designs. It will be interesting to see how Broom source their hire fleet in the future.

5 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

There are lots of fibreglass laminators in the area and Brooms have the tooling, so there is nothing to suggest that a building programme could not continue. 

Let's hope so

Being realistic if I worked for Brooms and I knew that my job was drying up then I would look to jump ship ASAP, especially if an especially attractive job came my way! I certainly wouldn't have any loyalty towards Brooms, number one has to take priority. For their customer's sakes I hope that they can honour their orders before their good staff move on. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Simondo said:

It would be an interesting planning application if they did go for residential property as new builds are purportedly not allowed :default_dry:

I would look to do as Waveney River Centre has done at Burgh St Peters and Tingdene are doing at Oulton Broad, abundant holiday homes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I would look to do as Waveney River Centre has done at Burgh St Peters and Tingdene are doing at Oulton Broad, abundant holiday homes.

I'd prefer to see good traditional British boat building.

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

boat builders build with pride no matter the  situation or at least I do  

And that could be the problem,  if the workforce are cut and resources scaled back as they wind production down,  standards may drop despite good builders.

The difference between being employed and directed from on high or being self-employed  and maintaining your own reputation.

Personally I would never buy from the start or end of any production run.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

I'd prefer to see good traditional British boat building.

I'm going to buy a lottery ticket this weekend, if it wins enough I will buy Broom Boats and continue to build boats in Brundall. 

Well I’m going to still hire as long as they trade... such shame as I’m a big broom fan...  

Feel sorry for  the guys whose gonna loose there jobs at brooms.... Hopefully They can restructure and start to build great boats again in the near future....  I’m not gonna have the negative thought of this is bye bye from Brooms...  

As long as there’s hire customers like myself who hire annually and who keep coming back year after year they will have a hire business.... 

• Like 5

I suspect the cost of providing footings for anything over two storey on the site would be horrendous. I can't think of any property in the area of the river over two storey.

The owner of Yare View had huge problems finding firm enough ground to build a steel frame house on. Rumour   has it the groundworks alone cost over 600,000.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

You may be right but Brundall has some specific clauses in the local plan giving weight to employment in the boat building sector and marina etc. plus another preventing new builds. However there are specific firms set-up to try and get around these clauses...so you never know.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Simondo said:

You may be right but Brundall has some specific clauses in the local plan giving weight to employment in the boat building sector and marina etc. plus another preventing new builds. However there are specific firms set-up to try and get around these clauses...so you never know.

but Brundall has some specific clauses in the local plan giving weight to employment in the boat building sector and marina etc.

Let us hope the local authorities keep these clauses in mind in their consideration of future applications, preference should be given to existing boat building and related services.

Being realistic if I worked for Brooms and I knew that my job was drying up then I would look to jump ship ASAP, especially if an especially attractive job came my way!

Sadly people with significant service could lose their redundancy payment by doing that.