So You Can Go Swimming!

JennyMorgan

Having traveled down this stretch of river this morning I'm even more convinced this is a truly bonkers idea , there's such little access for any emergency should it occur , seriously if it goes a head to .e it shows an appalling lack of judgement from the organisers and who ever sanctions it to do so .

I'm not against the swim in the correct area but this is not it , and its not as much the width of the river and all the bends etc its the fact it would be really difficult to land a casualty from the river and the length of time it would take to get them to a road to transport them to say hospital .

Utter madness IMHO.

1 hour ago, KaptinKev said:

Since this topic seems to be going on for a millennium, if anything goes wrong, I just hope the insurance will cover if the small print has been read properly!

As far as Im concerned I'm seriously hoping an insurance claim isn't required for which ever party .

As for the topic it most likely continue for as long as people wish to contribute 

10 hours ago, KaptinKev said:

Don't you think this topic has died of death, and something so trivial has become a mountain made out of a mole hill. 

No and No

15 hours ago, KaptinKev said:

Don't you think this topic has died of death, and something so trivial has become a mountain made out of a mole hill. 

When did safety concerns become trivial?

16 hours ago, KaptinKev said:

Er No

Just because we go quiet on a topic doesnt mean we have given up caring about it

• Like 2

How about we embrace :default_arms: this event and enter a team. 

Griff might even swim it backwards :default_biggrin:. Grace could use her monthly shoe and wine allowance  and sponsor it :default_biggrin:. JM could market it as the first swim in a national park:default_biggrin:. Robin could film it  :default_biggrin:, this could be a goer :default_cool:

Who else can fill a slot?

I could hand out the" refreshments" at the end. One for you, one for me, one for you , one for me :default_beerchug:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Serious point coming up!  I have a perforated ear drum, 45 years of marriage, so bought a set of ear plugs for when I go swimming, yes, I am now a confirmed coffin dodger! That aside I was amazed at the massive level of sound reduction with said ear plugs in place. The question now has to be how on earth are swimming keen types wearing these devices going to hear approaching boats or safety warnings from crews? It remains to be seen what the Authority advises when it issues its formal Notice to Mariners regarding this event.

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Serious point coming up!  I have a perforated ear drum, 45 years of marriage, so bought a set of ear plugs for when I go swimming, yes, I am now a confirmed coffin dodger! That aside I was amazed at the massive level of sound reduction with said ear plugs in place. The question now has to be how on earth are swimming keen types wearing these devices going to hear approaching boats or safety warnings from crews? It remains to be seen what the Authority advises when it issues its formal Notice to Mariners regarding this event.

Have the BA confirmed that this event has been officially given the go ahead, I have not seen anything in the Navigation committee reports or elsewhere to say it has been discussed or approved.

Fred

2 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Have the BA confirmed that this event has been officially given the go ahead, I have not seen anything in the Navigation committee reports or elsewhere to say it has been discussed or approved.

Fred

To go back to some earlier comments suggesting that this thread had a died a death through lack of interest; maybe the event has in fact died a death through lack of interest?

6 minutes ago, 40something said:

Over 100 entrants have paid, so it would appear to be going ahead.

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

Have the BA confirmed that this event has been officially given the go ahead, I have not seen anything in the Navigation committee reports or elsewhere to say it has been discussed or approved.

Do we know the answer to this question?