So You Can Go Swimming!

JennyMorgan

There are day boats for hire at Geldeston, Beccles, Oulton Broad, St Olaves and Burgh St Peter. If the swim has 200 entrants then I guess that a minimum of ten rescue boats will be required and I suspect that these will largely be hired dayboats. That still leaves quite a few available for the more usual, casual hirers. 

Have just checked the facebook page and lifted this: Waves have been drafted and we'll have 3 waves of approx 30 swimmers. This suggests that the event has attracted slightly less than half of the hoped for entrants, I suppose that is good news!

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Is it still on then? I would have thought to see a notice to mariners by now?

According to the website and fb it is still going ahead. Last I saw there are 90 swimmers taking part, setting off in waves of 30. 

• Thanks 1

Pleased it all went well for the swimmers and that they all arrived safely at Beccles.  Good to hear they enjoyed themselves too and are looking forward to doing it again next year (if allowed)... :248_dolphin::14_relaxed:

16 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Do we know the actual numbers taking part?

Was it said to be 200 to begin with?

The final figures I saw were 90 swimmers setting off in waves of 30. 

Certainly from the swimmers point of view it apparently all went very well with, thankfully, no mishaps. As there have been no moans or groans from any boaters, presumably most had the sense to stay away from the area on Sunday morning. 

• Like 1

Just a little observation if I may - from a distance of 1000 miles away.

There have been no eye-witness reports from members on here, and no photos. Susie tells me there is nothing on our FB page either.

It is now Tuesday and there has been nothing on the EDP website, including in the section "latest Norfolk sport" and not in the Beccles and Bungay Journal either. (though I haven't looked there this morning).

Nothing at all on either local TV channel although ITV had time for a piece on a local netball team.

So although I am glad that participants seemed to have enjoyed it (and survived intact), I deduce that it is not much of a spectator sport? So no significant tourist impact locally?

4 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Just a little observation if I may - from a distance of 1000 miles away.

There have been no eye-witness reports from members on here, and no photos. Susie tells me there is nothing on our FB page either.

It is now Tuesday and there has been nothing on the EDP website, including in the section "latest Norfolk sport" and not in the Beccles and Bungay Journal either. (though I haven't looked there this morning).

Nothing at all on either local TV channel although ITV had time for a piece on a local netball team.

So although I am glad that participants seemed to have enjoyed it (and survived intact), I deduce that it is not much of a spectator sport? So no significant tourist impact locally?

But 90+ very happy swimmers that enjoyed a day out on the Waveney plus family friends and supporters that will have enjoyed the hospitality of local hostelries.

All in all a very successful event that seems to have been organised in a professional manner.

Lets hope it becomes an annual event.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smellyloo said:

But 90+ very happy swimmers that enjoyed a day out on the Waveney plus family friends and supporters that will have enjoyed the hospitality of local hostelries.

All in all a very successful event that seems to have been organised in a professional manner.

Were you there? Perhaps you would like to tell us how it went? Perhaps you have some photos? No - one else seems to. . . 

7 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

Problem might be that in becoming an annual event it will grow and then grow some more.

38 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Were you there? Perhaps you would like to tell us how it went? Perhaps you have some photos? No - one else seems to. . . 

I dont need to be active in a particular sport to champion their right to enjoy their activity.

It is great to see the Broads attracting people other than boaters and anglers ..... we live (well I do anyway) in a beautiful landscape and I enjoy sharing it with people with diverse interests.

• Like 2

I agree with you, but that is not what I meant. 

This event seems to have attracted no local publicity. I can only deduce that it is of more interest to its own participants than other local people or Broads lovers.

I compare it with the 3 Rivers Race, which attracts "race followers" in their thousands, who camp out on the river banks all day to see the yachts go by. They may not sail themselves but they turn out to enjoy the event and the "day out".

This swim clearly, has not had that effect.

Or is it perhaps, that they chose a venue, where no-one could get to the river bank to see them anyway?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I agree with you, but that is not what I meant. 

This event seems to have attracted no local publicity. I can only deduce that it is of more interest to its own participants than other local people or Broads lovers.

I compare it with the 3 Rivers Race, which attracts "race followers" in their thousands, who camp out on the river banks all day to see the yachts go by. They may not sail themselves but they turn out to enjoy the event and the "day out".

This swim clearly, has not had that effect.

Or is it perhaps, that they chose a venue, where no-one could get to the river bank to see them anyway?

You seem to be saying that only events that attract spectators are to be encouraged?

Are the NBN meet events designed to attract spectators or press coverage? Or are they more directed towards the enjoyment of the participants.

Angling matches can hardly be described as spectator events but have been a part of the Broadland scene for donkeys years.

47 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

You seem to be saying that only events that attract spectators are to be encouraged?

Not even that. I am suggesting that the disruption to others, caused by "niche" events, should be weighed against any general benefits that they might bring.

NBN meets cause no disruption whatever to users of the navigation, or to any other users. except, perhaps, the reserving of moorings in advance.

Anglers are no nuisance to others, as long as they abide by the law of the navigation and don't obstruct it.

I think it is significant that we have heard no reports from members of this forum. No "Yes, I saw it, and here are some photos to share" as we always get for other events. Is this because our members reckoned that this would be too much hassle, on their holiday cruise, so they kept out of the way, on the day? In which case, it was an obstruction to the navigation.

The 3 Rivers Race however, is not.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I think it is significant that we have heard no reports from members of this forum. No "Yes, I saw it, and here are some photos to share" as we always get for other events. Is this because our members reckoned that this would be too much hassle, on their holiday cruise, so they kept out of the way, on the day? In which case, it was an obstruction to the navigation.

The 3 Rivers Race however, is not.

I rarely disagree with you this strongly on anything you have said, but this is one such time. The three rivers race is every bit as much of a hazard... no... more so, than the swim.

When the swim was first mentioned on this forum, I questioned the advisability of it. I still question that advisability biut if it is to be, and it is to be in the same place, then I'd recommend that boaters keep as clear of it as they can. I give the same advice for the three rivers race and any sailing regatta,

What I DO NOT say is that there isn't room for all.

• Like 1

The point that I still make is the financial one, maybe in certain circumstances the BA ought to impose an “events” fee to make it all seem that bit fairer to those that do pay for it. 

I dont know for sure that didnt happen but I think if it had of done it would have been said early on. 

An events fee?? Lets not encourage that - lets just encourage more and more people to come and enjoy the Norfolk Broads!

An events fee would be the thin end of the wedge - where does it stop? The NBN Forum Meet? Horning Sailing Club evening sailing for the kids? Every day of events at all local sailing clubs?

Nope - thats a non starter so lets bury the thought now!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

The point that I still make is the financial one, maybe in certain circumstances the BA ought to impose an “events” fee to make it all seem that bit fairer to those that do pay for it. 

I dont know for sure that didnt happen but I think if it had of done it would have been said early on. 

I suspect, but dont know, contributions will have been made to any organisation that helped police the event. If BA provided resources during the event then I would assume a contribution would have been made to them.

Note, I do not know if this happened, although I seem to recall that Mel (the organiser) indicated that this would be so, but I assume this to be true rather than assume the opposite.