Boat Recovery Options

JohnK

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

We had Boulters for 8 years when we owned our own boat and thank goodness never had to use them.   The old saying if you are prepared it never happens.    

We were prepared and it did happen a couple of years back. Thank goodness we did have cover!

We have used Boulters for 10 years, until last year never had need to call them out! Last year had to call them twice, once for a rope around the prop in Salhouse, and a second time for a faulty starter motor, both times they were great, the starter motor fixed on the river. The rope needed a lift out but they were stright on it, the boat was back in the water within 30mins and I gained a nice almost new 30 foot mooring line!

• Like 1

If you are broken down you can always call a mobile person out, might not have a yard of their own but contacts are wide reaching if you do need a tow back I can often beg or borrow a boat for the job (I avoid stealing!).  Andy kindly loaned me Rambling Freedom last year to recover a 40+  foot woody off Surlingham broad back to the Abbey yard, that was a heavy beast and very tight out of Surlingham but a nice afternoon out.

A breakdown scheme based in the upper reaches of the Yare might be looked into in the future.

Edited by MBA Marine
  • Like 7

Boulters certainly cover the southern rivers, I am sure Sutton Staithe do too. Remember they don’t have to travel everywhere by boat...........
Sutton Staithe covers all of the broads.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

If I were to take cover with Boulters or Sutton, does anyone know what their procedure would be if I broke down and  needed to be towed back to my home mooring, being based at Brundall how do they get their tug to the south side? cant see them doing a 16+ hour round trip for one recovery, or would they call in a favour with someone on the south?

2 hours ago, 40something said:

If I were to take cover with Boulters or Sutton, does anyone know what their procedure would be if I broke down and  needed to be towed back to my home mooring, being based at Brundall how do they get their tug to the south side? cant see them doing a 16+ hour round trip for one recovery, or would they call in a favour with someone on the south?

That would certainly be my prefered option, a reciprocal use of each others boats is the only sensible option other than keeping your tug boat on a trailer and putting it in at the nearest possible location.

• 4 years later...