Pilot

Betty1

11 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

If you want to stick to the facts, Griff wanted to show off. He has the boat and the skill, so with youtube about, why not have a bit of fun with it and look at me. I'm sure that is what youtube is about nowadays.

And that's exactly the reason you will not find me on u tube , after 13 yrs of virtually contiguous movement around 8000 hrs I recon I can control a boat enough to go backwards under a bridge if I could think of a viable reason for doing so , sadly though your never going to see me on u tube as I prefer to just do it without the camera rolling :15_yum:

20 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

And that's exactly the reason you will not find me on u tube , after 13 yrs of virtually contiguous movement around 8000 hrs I recon I can control a boat enough to go backwards under a bridge if I could think of a viable reason for doing so , sadly though your never going to see me on u tube as I prefer to just do it without the camera rolling :15_yum:

So why does Miles ( I think that is his name) do videos on youtube and doesn't show off in any way. So why don't you show how it is to be a live aboard and make some money in the progress?

44 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

So why does Miles ( I think that is his name) do videos on youtube and doesn't show off in any way. So why don't you show how it is to be a live aboard and make some money in the progress?

The simply answer is basically I'm too busy and its most certainly not my style I don't do self promotion , what I do is go about my business quietly , I'm well aware of mile's and how long he's been living afloat too , don't get me wrong he has some good ideas etc especially regarding wild life and the rubbish situation but its getting a bit tiresome hearing of all the hits from hire craft iv no idea how he archive's such a high amount of collisions I certainly don't .

As for making money out of what's basically a lifestyle choice , iv no intention of doing that n that's what the life afloat thread that I'll shortly be doing on here is all about , its free and I certainly won't be promoting myself as a superstar as my intention is basically give folk an insight as to what its like warts and all.

Incidentally miles is all about self promotion you only have to watch one video to know that , and some of his videos haven't exactly made better for those who also live on the water the broken prop situation is one fine example .

So it was for no other reason than to show off.

I can clarify that point - It was certainly not for that reason at all - Not even close, and of all people I should know wouldn't you think?  I mean I was even there at the time!

Ricardo keeps saying he knows the reason, - strange then that he hasn't said what it is.  I think he doesn't really know at all

Griff

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

So it was for no other reason than to show off.

I can clarify that point - It was certainly not for that reason at all - Not even close, and of all people I should know wouldn't you think?  I mean I was even there at the time!

Ricardo keeps saying he knows the reason, - strange then that he hasn't said what it is.  I think he doesn't really know at all

Griff

Well go on then don't keep everyone in suspense Griff what was the reason ?  , exactly what purpose does it serve going a stern through wroxham bridge ?? Sure iv an idea why wouldn't I but you did it so enlighten us all as to why .

Guys come on let's not get heated again please. And I am not taking sides. Life's too short.

I personally don't care why Griff went through backwards, but if it helps calm things down maybe he would clarify his reasons?

there is a fine line between showing off and good helmsmanship I guess and it probably becomes very emotive as to how you take it.

:default_beerchug:

Sure iv an idea

So you have only an idea now?  So why previously  make statements claiming you know the reason then?  Stating I did it for 'Showing Off' - I find that insulting.

Couldn't you just ask?   Give me a chance to view the thread?  But of course not, why would you?  Obviously not in your nature

It's like I have gained an unwanted mouth-peice making (Widely incorrect)  comments on my behalf in my absence like I'm not here anymore.  I have been a member in here since 2007 and having just checked I find that I still am. 

Baitrunner - I ain't heated yet - But if this kind of behaviour carries on, no doubt I will get somewhat irked, wouldn't you?

Griff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Charlie, I think you may be having a go at the wrong people here, it was KaptinKev who first mentioned showing off and Socrates who first posted what you quoted. I dont think anyone else has done more than quote those posts, certainly the second one has not been quoted by Ricardo until he quoted your post.

not that any of us should be having a go at anyone else really over a small matter of which direction anyone decided to go through a bridge, whether any of the rest of us want to or even would try it is immaterial, its been done, was recorded on video and thats the end of it, nowt worth arguing over.

reminds me of the comedy character by Harry Enfield - 'ooh you dont want to do it like that, do it like this'

12 hours ago, KaptinKev said:

If you want to stick to the facts, Griff wanted to show off. He has the boat and the skill, so with youtube about, why not have a bit of fun with it and look at me. I'm sure that is what youtube is about nowadays.

12 hours ago, socrates said:

So it was for no other reason than to show off. Thanks for the clarification. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Baitrunner said:

Guys come on let's not get heated again please. And I am not taking sides. Life's too short.

I personally don't care why Griff went through backwards, but if it helps calm things down maybe he would clarify his reasons?

there is a fine line between showing off and good helmsmanship I guess and it probably becomes very emotive as to how you take it.

:default_beerchug:

Which is exactly why I have asked the direct question giving him the opportunity to defuse the situation , like I said I have my own thoughts on it as I'm sure most people have ,

Good helmsmen don't tend to do things for the camera on less its an education video they just do it , day in n day out and no shouting .

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

reminds me of the comedy character by Harry Enfield - 'ooh you dont want to do it like that, do it like this'

I think I should have said, this forum in front of that part, its not directed at anyone personally. its just as soon as anyone says they did something, we get posts saying how others wouldnt do it that way,

all part of life really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rather thought it was Robin who posted the clip on you-tube, but then again I don't really know.

HOWEVER, this reminds me of an argument I had for years with my mother who stated that "Boats will not steer going astern." This was something she was told by someone in whom she had total trust. I tried to explain that boats do not steer well going astern, but they do steer.

If I remember correctly it was this "can you steer a boat going astern" discussion that caused Griff to demonstrate that with practice, you could even steer a boat astern under Wroxham Bridge, then going on to do so to prove it.

SO,

Was it done to "show off"? No, I believe not.

Did he post it on you-tube? No, I believe not..

What I do hope is that this somewhat pointless nit picking will now cease.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I rather thought it was Robin who posted the clip on you-tube, but then again I don't really know.

HOWEVER, this reminds me of an argument I had for years with my mother who stated that "Boats will not steer going astern." This was something she was told by someone in whom she had total trust. I tried to explain that boats do not steer well going astern, but they do steer.

If I remember correctly it was this "can you steer a boat going astern" discussion that caused Griff to demonstrate that with practice, you could even steer a boat astern under Wroxham Bridge, then going on to do so to prove it.

SO,

Was it done to "show off"? No, I believe not.

Did he post it on you-tube? No, I believe not..

What I do hope is that this somewhat pointless nit picking will now cease.

Sailing yachts with rudders the size of an average door, steer very well going astern

1 minute ago, Philosophical said:

Sailing yachts with rudders the size of an average door, steer very well going astern

Yes, and some of them still "drop down" stern first through the bridges at Yarmouth, just like the wherries did.

I might mention that Broad Ambition is a classically designed Broads motor cruiser which can be controlled and steered fairly easily when making stern way. You couldn't do that with every boat on the Broads. Not by a very long way!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Yes, and some of them still "drop down" stern first through the bridges at Yarmouth, just like the wherries did.

I might mention that Broad Ambition is a classically designed Broads motor cruiser which can be controlled and steered fairly easily when making stern way. You couldn't do that with every boat on the Broads. Not by a very long way!

For  many years in the late 60's and seventies we used to hire the Powles/Collins cruisers, with a little bit of way, "the knack" and the confidence that the boat would answer to the helm albeit a bit slow they can be steered quite well astern. Never helmed one, but I believe that some of the front steer single level boats with flat bottoms can be a bit of a handful.  

1 minute ago, Philosophical said:

Never helmed one, but I believe that some of the front steer single level boats with flat bottoms can be a bit of a handful.

Actually the Solar 37 (the OP's boat) is one of the kindest river boats I have ever handled and will steer stern first with ease. Cant say the same about the Wilds Caribbean though!

How is this not personally insulting - it was always going to start a row and was clearly the intention. There is only one place for deliberate trolling, and it's not here. This thread should be stopped now as contrary to TOS before it gets worse.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2