Pilot

Betty1

39 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

The problem with that data is the line where it states "last recorded level at 5:30AM", so it can't be used as a data feed.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

That's true, but anyone who has tried to get through Potter bridge will be more looking for an indication that it might be possible and also worried about the trends for getting back. I can see that the clearance for the last five days has been no where near the 6ft 9ins I need to get under, so I wouldn't even worry about venturing up that way on the off chance. However the trend is generally down wards so it might be possible by next weekend, but I wouldn't hold my breath :default_beerchug:

I would also add that I was told by a pilot that the rise and fall at the bridge is never more than about 4in per tide. So if the clearance at high water is 6ft, then you are unlikely to see more than 6ft4in at the next low.

• Like 2

If I'm about, I'll take you through, then give you some advice, sit on your shoulder while you take her through.  Once you have done it once, know your boat, how she handles, got an accurate measurement of your boats headroom, then it's a breeze and you wonder what all the fuss was about.  Having said that even now when I take 'B.A' through PHB I am far from blasé about it and it's a relief when completed
Griff
That would be great, I would love to take you up on your offer.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Wouldn't it be great if someone could create a replica of potter and wroxham bridges, out of something soft obviously, then position them a few hundred yards from the real thing, and we could all "have a go". Get it wrong and have another go, get it right and have another go to prove it wasn't luck. Never happen I know buy it'd be nice. I'll put it on my list of things to do if I win the lottery.

I remember back in the 60's that there was a 'hangman's' type of

gantry just inside Herbert Woods yard on the right as you go

under their bridge and by the holiday cottage. It could be swung

out and the arch shape of the bridge was hung from it. You could

then test if there was enough clearance or not. It disappeared not

long after and the pilot service was introduced(I believe). I do have a 

photo of sorts but it's now packed ready for our house move. It wasn't

the best quality mind you and doesn't show up very well at all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wyndham said:

Wouldn't it be great if someone could create a replica of potter and wroxham bridges, out of something soft obviously, then position them a few hundred yards from the real thing, and we could all "have a go". Get it wrong and have another go, get it right and have another go to prove it wasn't luck. Never happen I know buy it'd be nice. I'll put it on my list of things to do if I win the lottery.

That's exactly what they do on the canals when they are gauging boats for such as standedge tunnel and others as there's quite a lot of difference in boats from various builder's and all loaded differently and the last thing you want is s boat stuck in the tunnel .

11 hours ago, Wyndham said:

I wonder how many times it would have to be rebuilt............................!!

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

I wonder how many times it would have to be rebuilt............................!!

Get a few spectators to wear big foam costumes, have a water cannon or two to make the task harder and put up a huge scoreboard and it would look like a remake of "Its A Knockout" 

1 hour ago, Philosophical said:

Get a few spectators to wear big foam costumes, have a water cannon or two to make the task harder and put up a huge scoreboard and it would look like a remake of "Its A Knockout" 

Jeux Sans Frontieres even! Grrr, showing my age now.

• Haha 1

I am making this post so that the last post (or posts) made in the last hour will disappear from the "last 24hrs" feature, as they have obviously been removed from this thread, for some reason.

A technical "loophole" which has happened before, recently.

Vaughan. I recall you informing me that there was once a measurement system at Hearts Cruisers at Thorpe St Andrews which was used to give guidance as to a boats ability to pass safely through the railway bridge nearest to the boat yard. Was it for the employee's on the yard or for the general public.

And whilst I think of it why did I not have one at my end?

Andrew

It used to hang on the engine gantry which still sticks out into the river at the far end shed. It was a simple bar which hung down on chains from the gantry and was the same height as the bridge. It was for use on trial runs, so that you didn't have to go all the way up to the bridge and turn round if the tide was still too high.

If you had one  up your end, it would have had to be one and a half inches lower, as the two bridges are not the same!

Hearts Cruisers boats had a flag on the stem which was mounted on a valve spring, and was just a bit higher than the canopy, when lowered. So if the flag hit the bridge, you backed out again!

100_3501.thumb.jpg.f66961fba1a37a4d3c81b4f50763174b.jpg

The engine gantry can be seen here, and the bar for the gauge used to hang from it.

• Like 2

I used to remember scampering up to your end  in order to get a boat through.  But for the most part by the time one tried to get through the "west bridge" and failed and then getting to the "east bridge" that one and a half inches had gone.

And so had your tip!

Andrew

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Hearts Cruisers boats had a flag on the stem which was mounted on a valve spring, and was just a bit higher than the canopy, when lowered. So if the flag hit the bridge, you backed out again!

Had it been mounted on the bow instead, it might have told you the clearance wasn't enough BEFORE you had done the damage. :-)

9 hours ago, Wussername said:

I used to remember scampering up to your end  in order to get a boat through

Is my mind allowed to boggle yet?  :-)

• Haha 1