Sailing On The Up?

grendel

Good old EDP "Barton Overy Staithe" looks like it could be Burnham Overy Staithe to me, probably 35 miles from The Broads. But the idea is good and I wish them well, it would be great to see a real revival in sailing holidays.

• Like 2

It would be wonderful to see The Broads return as a major sail charter destination which would be quite unique as Inland Charter and  dare I say it, "A worldwide appeal" if combined with a trip to the UK. 

If you consider the bigger picture where Motor Cruisers are concerned Mainland Europe and Ireland have a very attractive package and excluding Ireland holiday weather to boot. 

• Like 1

My 88 year old father has albums full of black and white photos of the all yachts he used to hire in his youth. So much choice!!!

Pictures of well known moorings completely full of yachts, double moored and rafted up. Fantastic to look through, a very different time.

Some are still in hire today. 

• Like 2

Only two photos of hire craft,, 

As reported above Burnham not Barton.

The rest are mostly sailing clubs , Horning, Wroxham (ok NBYC), Eaton School. 

I believe technically the photo of an allcomers race at Horning is an incorrect statement, they are preparing to start as the course is off to the right up river..

And an incorrect statement that the broads were designated a National Park.

However I did like the photos, I recognise several of the Horning Boats, if the photos were clearer maybe the people as well.

I hope the broads sailing companies are much more successful than the reporter..

I sailed once a long time ago.

I think I might try one of the Hunter’s two hour skippered trips to see if I’m tempted.

The article seems to be about getting ex sailers back rather than introducing new sailors.

I grew up sailing on a 38ft Ohlson, then a 44ft Bowman Corsair. I helped to build the Ohlson from the age of 10, then the Bowman (called "Black Diamond, and now a sail training yacht) from the age of 13.  Then in 91, i bought a Pandora International which i still own, and has been on our front garden for the last 12 years, as every time i want to get her back together, Karen always wants something else done on the bungalow. 

I`ve never sailed the Broads, but did have the idea of putting Mistral on the Broads, but Karen flatly refuses to even entertain trying out sailing, as when a yacht heals over, she would panic no matter how much i say it`s perfectly safe.

Ps,  to anybody whose curious, google Black Diamond sail training.

I jumped right in the deep end after a 30 year break from sailing, and most of that offshore. Looked at many boats to buy on the Broads, motor and sail, and getting back into sailing appealed to me.

Didn’t take any refresher courses, but it really was like riding a bike; the knowledge came back.

For me there is nothing better than enjoying the peace of the Broads under sail with the engine switched off. I recommend people give it a try. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnK said:

But where to start?

For those who live locally, I am always happy to give them the experience of sailing. Otherwise, try hiring one of the boats available for hire through the website. Instruction can be given, and then just have a go.

If I can do it, anyone can.

If you live locally, message me; I’ll take you sailing.

For those who live locally, I am always happy to give them the experience of sailing. Otherwise, try hiring one of the boats available for hire through the website. Instruction can be given, and then just have a go.
If I can do it, anyone can.
If you live locally, message me; I’ll take you sailing.

That’s a very kind offer thank you.
I may well take you up on that.
Next time I get a few days down here I’ll give you a shout if that’s ok? I’m not sure when that will be, people are expecting me to do work. Very inconsiderate.

1 minute ago, JohnK said:

people are expecting me to do work. Very inconsiderate.

Yeh, it’s a real buzzkill! But the offer is made, and you are welcome to call it in when you are next around.

I am hoping to be out sailing tomorrow. I would have also been out today, but my ME bested me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnK said:

I sailed once a long time ago.

I think I might try one of the Hunter’s two hour skippered trips to see if I’m tempted.

The article seems to be about getting ex sailers back rather than introducing new sailors.

You've just missed Horning Sailing Clubs and NBYC try a boat day. Other clubs will be having them throughout the country in May and June.

If not wait till next year, Horning will have try a boat day Next year in May or June and it will cost you nothing.. for a half hour trip (with skipper), in one of these.. picture by Holly Hancock who will probably will be there.

If you want to learn sailing contact Horning sailing club https://horning-sailing.club/tccourses.php.

if you join HSC (£115 a year for a family, £77 single person) then the cost of the courses on a Thursday evening may to September is relatively little..

575491366_image5.jpg.2939c68c33d8075ac562e68a38a5768a.jpg

We meet up annually with some friends who hire the same yacht each year from the Swallowtail Boatyard at Ludham. They are lovely boats and so well looked after. If I was younger (a lot younger!) I would be very tempted to give sailing another go and hire from Swallowtail. 

39 minutes ago, vanessan said:

If I was younger (a lot younger!) I would be very tempted to give sailing another go

I don’t know what a lot younger would look like, and I am certainly not asking. I find myself no longer saying ‘you are only as old as you feel’ as I feel myself a lot older than I am.

But sailing requires a crew, unlike motoring, that on the most part only requires a helmsman (no insult intended).

A good crew compliments each other and works together, some with greater energy and physical ability than others. For me, this is part of the pleasure, an experience to be shared.

With the right crew around you, you may still find that sailing is possible, and a lot of fun!

31 minutes ago, PastorsDayOff said:

I don’t know what a lot younger would look like, and I am certainly not asking. I find myself no longer saying ‘you are only as old as you feel’ as I feel myself a lot older than I am.

But sailing requires a crew, unlike motoring, that on the most part only requires a helmsman (no insult intended).

Oh no it doesn't, it's not just single handed dinghies out there, how about a nice sit down and sail single hander.  They have raced at Horning and Wroxham..

yandy98734.jpg

I'm currently rebuilding my own sit in single hander but not of this class..the above is the international 2.4 metre. Oh we've had 100 year olds race at Horning, 80 plus is not unusual, I spent 5 years racing with a 70+ year old.

58 minutes ago, PastorsDayOff said:

With the right crew around you, you may still find that sailing is possible, and a lot of fun!

I really do think that ship has sailed (sorry!), I am sure I would be a liability! You see, I would want to be involved not carried as a passenger and that would be dangerous - for everyone. :default_sad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Oh no it doesn't, it's not just single handed dinghies out there, how about a nice sit down and sail single hander.  

Ok! You can prove any point with pictures.

i meant the kind of sailing as being advertised on the website; though, with a bit more energy, this can certainly be done single handed. 

Although I have occasionally considered going over to the 'dark side' and buying a sailing boat, it is with the deepest regret that I have to admit that I have a mental disability that bars me from making that decision.

I say 'mental disability'' there is, within the medical profession some disagreement  as to whether this debilitating condition is mental or physical. Personally I favour 'physical' but either way it effectively stops me, in any practical sense, from owning or using a sailing boat.

In the event anyone wishes to know more about this disability remember, 'Google is your friend' and key into that search engine, "Lazy ba***rd can't be bothered to get off his backside and learn."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

When I go out on my boat I like to enjoy myself I like to get to my destination in comfort nice and warm in the winter and dry.

i like to shower and cook meals sleep in a nice comfortable bed and get up to use the loo in the night.

this is why I will not buy a sailing boat :default_eusa_naughty:

16 hours ago, quo vadis said:

When I go out on my boat I like to enjoy myself I like to get to my destination in comfort nice and warm in the winter and dry.

i like to shower and cook meals sleep in a nice comfortable bed and get up to use the loo in the night.

We always used to hire yachts when visiting the broads. But the arrival of our children (2 & 4 year old) and the need for alot of the above and the space on board for children to play, meant we converted to motorboats 4 years ago. :default_crying1animated: