Sailing On The Up?

grendel

1 hour ago, Bexs said:

We always used to hire yachts when visiting the broads. But the arrival of our children (2 & 4 year old) and the need for alot of the above and the space on board for children to play, meant we converted to motorboats 4 years ago. :default_crying1animated:

Maybe there will come a time when you will be able to revert to yachts and teach the young ones to sail. Nothing like being able to enjoy the best of both worlds.

3 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Maybe there will come a time when you will be able to revert to yachts and teach the young ones to sail. Nothing like being able to enjoy the best of both worlds.

I hope so! But one has become a little accustomed to the creature comforts. 

:default_biggrin:

10 minutes ago, Bexs said:

I hope so! But one has become a little accustomed to the creature comforts. 

:default_biggrin:

And as you get older the creature comforts become more and more appealing! Maybe a mobo with a yacht on the side?:default_smile:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, quo vadis said:

When I go out on my boat I like to enjoy myself I like to get to my destination in comfort nice and warm in the winter and dry.

i like to shower and cook meals sleep in a nice comfortable bed and get up to use the loo in the night.

this is why I will not buy a sailing boat :default_eusa_naughty:

What sort of meals do you cook Que?:default_eusa_naughty:

On 07/05/2018 at 20:43, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

0, then the Bowman (called "Black Diamond, and now a sail training yacht) from the age of 13. 

I sailed on Black Diamond back in 2009 with a group from White Rose Sailing Association. A very pleasant cruise from Hartlepool to Whitby and back.

People buy boats for different reasons. The good thing about the hire industry on the Broads is that you can hire boats of almost all kinds and have a go.

Certainly when we were looking at buying, we looked at Broadland cruisers, twin engined sea goers, as well as sail.

For us, we wanted something that we could eventually take out to sea and do a bit of coastal hopping with, and we simply didn’t have the deep enough pockets for the twin screw gas guzzler.

Regarding the young children. All the children we have taken out on our boat have thoroughly enjoyed themselves, and they have all wanted to have a go. In truth, I regret not learning to sail when I was a lot younger.

16 minutes ago, PastorsDayOff said:

People buy boats for different reasons. The good thing about the hire industry on the Broads is that you can hire boats of almost all kinds and have a go.

Certainly when we were looking at buying, we looked at Broadland cruisers, twin engined sea goers, as well as sail.

For us, we wanted something that we could eventually take out to sea and do a bit of coastal hopping with, and we simply didn’t have the deep enough pockets for the twin screw gas guzzler.

Regarding the young children. All the children we have taken out on our boat have thoroughly enjoyed themselves, and they have all wanted to have a go. In truth, I regret not learning to sail when I was a lot younger.

Eastwoods (and I am sure others) always used to (may well still do) offer tuition for several days of a holiday. I wonder how many new to boating, and first timer hirers opt for a yacht rather than power boat. I would be insterested to know. 

My kids will learn to sail in time, but first they have to learn to sit still! :default_blink:

• Like 1

When "we" visited the broads several times in the late 1960s / earyl 1970s my parents used to hire a riverside shack at Repps & later Ranworth & I'd hire a half-decker from Matham Boat - usually Windrush.  Good fun sailing her.

Barton Broad – 19 May 2018 

Another opporttunity to try sailing...

Try sailing on Barton Broad – 19 May 2018

Calling all would be sailors.

On Saturday 19th May Norfolk Punt Club are offering you the chance to sail (free of charge) in a range of boats including the very fast Norfolk Punt featured on the BBC recently. You may also sail in a dingy, keel boat and River Cruiser. Experienced skippers will take you around the beautiful Barton Broad to see the wildlife, including Marsh Harriers and other reed bed dwellers. Sample the delights of a ‘Punt Club afternoon tea’ on the pontoon in the middle of the broad. The club will provide “water taxis” from Barton Turf Staithe to ferry you out to the pontoon at 12.30 and 2.00pm. Taxis will bring you back at 4.30pm.

As it is also a Royal Wedding Day there will be a ”bit of a party” on the pontoon so bring a picnic if you want to and a few pounds for tea and cake. We can lend you Buoyancy Aids but please dress in suitable clothes that will keep you warm and can suffer splashing. Children must be accompanied by an adult.

For further information please contact vicecommodore@puntclub.co.uk

Sounds a very nice afternoon. Has any provision been made for parking as there are very few places on the Staithe and residents will not take kindly to the narrow road being used? 

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Barton Broad – 19 May 2018 

Another opporttunity to try sailing...

Try sailing on Barton Broad – 19 May 2018

I could be mistaken but I think there might be something else going on somewhere on the broads that day, I just can't call to mind what!

14 hours ago, Bexs said:

My kids will learn to sail in time, but first they have to learn to sit still! :default_blink:

I wish you the best of luck with that one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I could be mistaken but I think there might be something else going on somewhere on the broads that day, I just can't call to mind what!

And the Brundall Boat Show.