Bow Thrusters

There was a Safari in Broadsedge that had a 4 hp outboard mounted on a lifting bracket facing sideways that was fired up to spin round for mooring. Worked a treat as long as you only wanted to go clockwise.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Never had one not even on a 57' narrow boat n they don't turn easy , didn't have one on a powles 33 nor on  my current boat , sure they make life easier but its a lot of cash for not much resale value n the wind and the tide are free .

Horses for courses I guess , some love em I consider it cheating n don't want one , that probably comes from seeing way too many people over using them when a little more knowledge n skill would achieve exactly the same effect .

That's true and a very fair point... there is another aspect though, although I certainly need more knowledge and skill I could also do with a new knee and my wife a new shoulder!

I'm working on the skill and knowledge but maybe some mechanical/electrical extra crew wouldn't hurt meanwhile :12_slight_smile:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ray said:

That's true and a very fair point... there is another aspect though, although I certainly need more knowledge and skill I could also do with a new knee and my wife a new shoulder!

I'm working on the skill and knowledge but maybe some mechanical/electrical extra crew wouldn't hurt meanwhile :12_slight_smile:

Yea see your point Ray n sure didn't want to come over as derogatory etc , I can see the point of them :default_beerchug:

Hi Ray

You could also speak to Paul at Swancraft (one of our sponsors at the right hand side here) 

Lot of experience with these. I think it depends on the version of your Safari but full sliding roof version can be done, front door type (mark 3?) may need external type. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Yea see your point Ray n sure didn't want to come over as derogatory etc , I can see the point of them :default_beerchug:

To each their own, by my own admission, I don’t have the skill or knowledge built up yet (this year will only be my 4th week on the Broads with a sizeable gap between years 2 and 3) so I like the reassurance that it brings, to me it makes for a less stressful mooring (and I’m on holiday, therefore the less stress the better) and allows me to get into spaces that I otherwise might struggle with.

that said, year 1, I didn’t have them, and didn’t struggle too much, but I didn’t know any better!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Hi Ray

You could also speak to Paul at Swancraft (one of our sponsors at the right hand side here) 

Lot of experience with these. I think it depends on the version of your Safari but full sliding roof version can be done, front door type (mark 3?) may need external type. 

That's interesting, I hadn't appreciated that much difference between mk2 and mk3, I thought it was only superstructure and layout.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray said:

That's interesting, I hadn't appreciated that much difference between mk2 and mk3, I thought it was only superstructure and layout.

There isn't, but on the Mk2 the motor of the thruster can stick up into the bow area without issue, on a Mk3 it cant because that's your front well

Go for it Ray. I consider myself to be a fair boat handler and have been doing so for many years but I have a BT on my boat and I use it, I know exactly what you mean about getting that bit closer as I too have arthritis quite bad in my knees and ankles and it had proved an absolute godsend, particularly when reversing into tight spaces in a wind, I had to have a pump out over easter and the space was almost impossibly tight. Had I not had the BT I would not have attempted it or if I had would have done a fair amount of damage to both mine and other boats.

Mine was fitted by ferry marina about 2 years ago, they did a fantastic job and it cost just over the 3 grand mark but that was for a radio control 75 kg thrust vetus one.

hope that helps

cheers

trev

• Like 1

I’m the ‘roper upper’ in our crew (of two) and have the same arthritis problems as many others. We have a bow thruster on our bathtub and it really does help to get the boat in close for mooring up, enabling me to just step off - most of the time anyway. Certainly a boon for turning in tight spaces too. 

• Like 1

It's decided! We are going ahead, it's booked for 4th June!

I'm actually really excited about it, we love the boat and of course the broads in general so anything that keeps us on the water, not to mention the added confidence in the trickier moorings, is worth every penny.

Again I have to thank you great group of people for your advice and input and special thanks to Alan for a great recommendation :default_beerchug:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

IMHO however "good" we feel we are about boat control, circumstances too often change mid maneuver (usually wind gusting or the wind you were relying on failing but often other boats) worst case being a change after the point of "no return" In those cases a bow thruster is a useful tool and can save the situation. 

It can also maake life easier in giving the bow a "quick flick" to assist in docking.